• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Chain and Sprockets

Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Chesley
Up on going get topped off with gas before a run last week, I heard it being somewhat noisy near the countershaft sprocket area on take off. 1st time I had been on the bike in a long time without ear plugs so the noise had been drowned out.
Got home and check the chain play and it was getting pretty sloppy side to side and had maybe a mark to go before out of adjustment on the rear.
So, broke out my maintenance files and my eyes really opened wide.
34,292 miles since last change out. WoW!
So. Ordered a set same day and it came in yesterday but 2 things delaying instalation. 1> lawnmower on lift waiting on part = minor 2> tweaked my hip last Monday picking up my KLR when the side stand sunk into the ground.
Live and learn. So waiting on the hip to heal more before removing the lawnmower from the bike lift. ;-)

Yep. I replaces mine around 30k. 530 chain is little stronger than 520 which usually being replaced at about 20k

Wow AC, I was ready to change my stock drive at 21,000 this Winter.
Is this aftermarket parts you are replacing? Maybe the stockers didn't last as long?
I hear you on the lift, upgrading a work bench and have the lift full of "stuff" from the old bench. Get better soon!

I changed my stock front sprocket at 10,700 miles then Chain and sprockets at 23,600, then again at 56,800 miles on the bike and fixing to change them again at 91,100 miles on the bike . DID chains and not sure on the sprockets.

I just changed mine out as well, it was an aluminum one changed it when I first bought the bike in 07, 28k on the clock and showed severe wear in the channel of the sprocket so I went back to steel.

25k on original chain and sprockets and still plenty of life in them. Frequent cleaning/waxing seems to be the key. Adjustment is only needed about once a year. If the bike ever gets cruise control it might stand a chance of gaining miles the way some of you other retired types' bikes do!
t110

Have changed out my chain and sprockets at about 25,000, but wanted to play with gearing. Original was 18/43have been all the way to 17/47. happiest overall with 18/45..that 17/47 seemed to make the front end too light. Someone on this forum clued me into that teflon lubricant and I love it. bike is now about 39K on it. I had stroke june of 17 and didn't ride for about a year

Good move on changing it now. I've got myself in a bit of a bind a few times pushing it and getting home with no adjustment left and chain getting pretty loose.

I can't defend it but I came across a post by a poster that submitted to change the front sprocket
sooner than the back and chain. He maintained the front would hook faster and that changing it every
10000 miles he could get 30k or so miles on the chain and back sprocket. It sounded good, what say
the collective??

Back