• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Status of motorcycling in the U.S.

As much as I love bikes, and being on them, with my recent change of job to less than 6 miles from the house, it's pretty much not worth it to gear up just to go to work. Plus, I don't have everything with me that I might need every day while at work.

It's been too long since I went riding. I now have two bikes sitting at the house, one for sale ("the not quite the right green Concourse"). The other is in the garage, and not getting any use, either.

I'd like to blame it on several things, but I think really, it comes down to effort. Too much of it is required to ride for those 6 miles. Then the weekend comes, and I have very little time to myself. Obligations to handle things around the house, and working with friends who need or want assistance with whatever.

I hear you about gearing up for short rides. Putting on the jacket and helmet is easy, but I'm normally in shots and flip flops, so the added hassle of changing pants and adding boots sometimes makes taking the Explorer easier than opening the garage door and rolling the bike out.

A few years ago I was in a lull with my business with time and money to burn. I covered almost 35K miles that year. The next two were spent working on a masters degree and business picked up. The first time back on the X was a long trip to Tennessee last year and ended up having to replace the chain in a campground because it had rusted in the meantime.

Over 50 years of riding I've done a few years riding a lot and a few years not riding at all. It'll come back when it's time. I am starting to think that fooling around with ADV and dirt bikes is about over. I just don't heal like I used to.

I never wore shorts BECAUSE I rode bikes daily as transportation. I don't wear 'em now because when I get back from a walk or ride through the woods, what with all the thorny vegetation, my legs will bleed a pint of blood before I get the bleeding stopped. :lol2: I just ain't into shorts. I have one pair I never wear. I like Wrangler cargoes, lots of pockets and deep front pockets that swallow a 2" .38 snubby. Throwing on a jacket and helmet is no problem for me and my snake boots double as riding boots, rather good ones in fact.

I lived 6 miles from work, but I was hourly trash and didn't work with laptops and such. All I had to haul was my lunch and I could do that in a back pack on my XL600R. :D I worked part time for a while at shop in El Campo, 40 miles, and had to take my tools with me. I'd strap 'em on that huge rack the KLR comes with. I really appreciate that rack. :D I no longer have a job, however, but I STILL don't ride that much anymore. No real reason to, I suppose. My ATV works better in the woods, anyway.

Last edited:
Funny...i bought a bike BECAUSE i moved to within 6 miles of work. When I had a 20 mile ride on the highway, I took the truck. Now it's a 5 mile ride on leisurely winding back roads..I figure I can endure any kind of weather for 15 minutes.

I love to roll out the ct90 for short runs to the bank, the grocery store, the mail box. It is perfect for these especially in off traffic hours. It gets around 100 mpg and I don't always gear up. But I don't do it in the cold and thankfully cold is here very little.

When an electric scooter with the ct90 luggage capability comes, I'll probably go to that.

Drove over to 820 Harley today. Had to get a battery for the Ultra today. They are not cheap. They had a lot of used bikes. They had construction going on. I asked about the construction. The parts guy said they were expanding. Going to Renovate and add to the building. Asked how sales was doing because of all the used bikes I saw. He said that sales has been good and that it was picking up. Maybe the economy is gaining ground. He said last year sales was down and is doing much better this year. Just from the number of used bikes they most likely have been selling a good number of new ones.

I will admit to more than one covetous glance at the BMW Z4. Although I would be interested in the 124 and the Miata as well. One guy joked that the Miata was a chick car... he picked up a lot of chicks with his.

The TR6 (four wheeled version) was probably my favorite two seater of all times. Beautiful car and one of the few where the wheel size actually matched the wheel wells. Same as the XJ6.

Ever wonder if kids will be waxing nostalgic about the Galaxy edge?

I drove a TR6 in the late 70's early 80's.

Once racing a 914 down Westheimer I shifted hard into 3rd and the gear shifter came off in my hand. Luckily I had the top down or it would have gone straight through it.

Curently, when I am not on the bike -

029 Cropped.jpg

Last edited:
Back