• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Tire Thread

DaveC

Reaction score
First Name
David
Last Name
Carter
Well since every one uses them and we all have our personal choices and most favored tire. I thought a tire thread that you post that information we all want and that would be:

Make, Model and Size Front, Cost:
Make, Model and Size Rear, Cost:

Tire pressure that worked best
Front:
Rear:

Bike Make and Model w/ starting tire mileage:
Ending Mileage:

General or specific characteristics, what type of typical load, Primary use , likes, dislikes, would you purchase them again.

I for one, want more than what the review at the web site I purchased from, or store. I find most reviews are lacking, really , you rode on it for a couple of hours! I just need more information, I can draw my own conclusions. Well because I have Crayolas!:rider:

Last edited:
Full Bore M41Radial rear is 10/32 or 8mm tread --150/17 $88
Full Bore M41 Radial front is 10/32 or 8mm tread --120/19 $78

2006 DL 1000 (V-Strom) starting mileage 21,917

Made in Korea: shop date rear 2913/ front 2813
Online @ Chaperral racing
$30 mounting per tire, local.
Update:
2,300 miles, 5mm or 6/32nds tread remaining.
wet conditions very good, dislikes fresh tar snakes and hot tar snakes.
projected life with standard commuting approx 5,000 miles.

Last edited:
Full bore 150/17 on a '02 1150gs adv. $80.12 after e-bucks certificate.

Starting Mileage 47,142 (now at 47,244).

I got somewhere near 8k miles out of my Tourance rear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Like I can remember tire sizes!!

Gold Wing - Bridgestones! Don't last as long as Dunlop Elite 3s, but don't cup and start making noise at 3,000 miles and a lot more grip in the wet. I get about 9K out of a set.

FXDL - Michelin Macadam on the rear and Metzler ME880 on the front. I'd go with the Michelin on the front, but they don't make that size. I get about 12K out of a set.

Triumph Trophy - Michelin Road Pilot 3s. Will try 4s next time I change tires. 6K per set.

CB1100F - Continental GO!. Its a bias ply tire and I get less miles out of rear tires on this bike than I do on the Gold Wing. Can't figure that out. They are a modern tread design and have pretty good grip. 5K per set.

Make, Model and Size Front, Cost: Shinko 244, Kenda 270, 5.10-18, ~$60 shipped
Make, Model and Size Rear, Cost: Bridgestone TW34, 130/80-14, ~$110 shipped

Tire pressure that worked best
Front: 14 dirt, 20 street
Rear: 14 dirt, 20 street

Bike Make and Model w/ starting tire mileage: Yamaha TW200
Ending Mileage: Multiple front wheels for different rides so no accurate lifespan, estimate 12,000 miles on the K270, seems like Shinko will be similar. TW34 12,000-16,000 miles depending on use. RideOn significantly increases tire life (~50%).

General or specific characteristics, what type of typical load, Primary use , likes, dislikes, would you purchase them again. Dual sport/commuting/adventure touring, loads from 0 to 120 pounds + rider. TW34 is only DOT knobby in this size. Closely spaced center rows of knobs ride smooth, quiet, and last a long time. Wider spaced outer rows provide fantastic traction as tire sinks into soft surfaces. Round profile keeps lots of rubber on pavement when cornering, in contrast to sharp edge on surfaces with typical flattened profiles of typical dualsport tires. K270 and 244 have rounder profiles that compliment the TW34 well. Larger sizes on front of lighter bike avoids squirreliness compared to same tires in skinner sizes on heavier bikes. Yes, I'd buy again.

Tourance XP 110 80 19 Came with bike
150 80 17

36lb F
42 lb R

Triumph Explorer 2013. New to 9500miles. Replaced both, still had maybe 1500 miles of use left.

Good grip on the road. Wet grip good. noisy. Primary use, commuting and long distance tour. Did I mention ..noisy.Will not buy myself.

Fitted Tourance Next for $120 and $140 each. Quieter. Fell because of lowside slide. Gets overpowered on turns even with traction control. Not very confidence inspiring.

I will tell about the Harleys later.

'02 VFR800
Front: Avon Storm 2 Ultra 120/70R-15 $105
Rear: Avon Storm 2 Ultra 180/55R-15 $124
This is the first set of Ultra's I've had on it. The first set of Storm's ran me 10k on the rear and bad stem bearings scalloped the front, so swapped to Storm 2's.
Excellent grip wet/dry. Did a track day on a set of Avon Azaro's and never had grip-related problems.
Usually doing the commute trip 1-up, with several multi-day 2-up trips with the wife with full luggage.

'85 GL1200A
Front: Shinko 230 Tour Master 130/90-16 $67
Rear: Shinko 230 Tour Master 150/90-15 $83
Only had these on for about ~1k mi, but so far, I'm very pleased.

Back