• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Street - Off road helmet differences

SL350

Reaction score
What is the differences between the two? I usually just use my street helmet for the rare dirt road ride but I might do a Big Bend soon. Is that an air filter on the off-road helmets?

More ventilation from the front. Depending on the brand if there will be shell vents on the off road helmet. No filter, just a vent with a possible piece of mesh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the biggest difference is the goggles. They really help keep the dirt and dust out of your eyes. No air filter and after Big Bend your helmet will almost always smell dusty. Save the street helmet for the street. I wore my street helmet offroad a couple of time it builds up dust on the inside and outside of the visor.

The goggles go under a face shield, don't they? I barely have enough room for sunglasses under my street helmet (HJC).

Arai makes a nice on/off road helmet that can be configured with or without the visor and face shield.

The goggles go under a face shield, don't they? I barely have enough room for sunglasses under my street helmet (HJC).

No face shield on a dirt bike helmet. You can find some dual sport helmets that have a face shield. I've never seen goggles under a face shield of a full face helmet.

I call this my "dirt helmet".
892929384_gDcTL-L.jpg

I have a big filter on the front, but it doesn't seem to be working too well!
889241188_RdBf7-L.jpg

I have a lot better luck in dusty conditions with my dirt helmet.

The googles go over the helmet no sunglasses with goggles but you can change the lenses. See In Bomber's pic around his eyes are clean no dirt in his eyes. If their is 2 of you, and you end up following you will want the goggles. Mine are Oakley and they have the same tinted lenses as my sunglasses. Helmet Oneil @$75 at cycle gear with coupon, $30 for the goggles, and $30 for the Oakley fire lenses. Keeping the dirt out of your street bike helmet priceless. Thats a nice SL350 is that what your taking to Big Bend?

IMG_1940.jpg

The googles go over the helmet no sunglasses with goggles but you can change the lenses.

I disagree. Sunglasses will fit under OTG (Over The Glasses) Goggles.

Thats a nice SL350 is that what your taking to Big Bend?

That and the CT90, I prefer the CT on real ruff stuff. The SL350 needs a sprocket change to crawl, I put a hiway sprocket in several years ago and have to ride the clutch off-road.

Good to see an old SL being ridden. Those SL are getting hard to find in good condition. Especially with all there street lights still on them. You will have a blast in Big Bend. I Love that place.

Haters haha Must be jelous I dont wear glasses haha

Hate, no. Jealous, a little. I had RK surgery back in 1983 and it held up for 20 years 'till age caught up with me. I can see good enough in the daytime but a night; forget it. And then there's the bifocal issue. :giveup:

use a surgical mask under what ever helmet you use. It helps ALOT!!

DisplayImage.aspx
But those jackets and helmets look a little light weight for off road. Prolly on road would be fine:rofl:

I wrote it on the internet so it MUST BE TRUE!

Back