• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

stealth camping

Watched a couple of YouTube videos on stealth camping. It was with a modified A-Liner so you can sleep with it down. The concept is intriguing to me whatever means you use. This guy picked commercial warehouse areas on weekends and camped parking along streets other times. He would go eat after parking and enter camper after dark. There are lots of folks who do it for different reasons. Some, just for the challenge.
WoW never thought about it. Roadside rest areas are mostly gone. How about a stealth campout at a different Buc ee's every night. There are 33 of them. :mrgreen:

I’m with you v went to Oklahoma a wile back and saw lots of places to camp same thought as you who cares about permission wen there’s no house for miles. Plus I don’t think you or me or hopefully anybody on here would litter. But still great idea I’m already planing on trespass camping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:thumbd:

We need more state parks. Seems the state's population has grown so much that if you don't make reservations a year in advance, you can't get into a campsite at many of the state parks. When I was young I remember dad just driving to Garner SP and dropping in without a reservation. I also remember driving until dark and dad just looking for a park near where we happened to be and dropping in. Don't try that now.

I just saw a sign at our Wal Mart saying something to the effect that they don't want people staying there. I need to go back a read it. Also , I haven't noticed any RVs there lately.

Public areas in my opinion is not trespassing. Most city and county parks have curfews. I'm trying to think of an area around Taylor for example where there would be hassle free one night (in a truck bed camper) camping other than Walmart. I can't, there is so much weirdness in the world that the law will check out anything outside the norm. Even at Walmart I would get permission from manager. They have cameras.
Found this. www,rollglobal.org A guide to sleeping in your vehicle safely for free, or hobo camping. I always have images of the scenes from Grapes of Wrath.
In the article they say to sleep with your clothes on. Buy something in store first and be discreet. I guess don't put out lawn chars and string the welcome lights and fire up the bbq. next to the 100 gallon ice chest. Even with Walmart charcoal and ice. :mrgreen:
To me it is like cutting in line at Walmart or having a full basket in the 15 item check out. Some people do it, but it but I don't care for it.

True, boondocking at Walmart is at the discretion of the manager and some stores do not allow it either because of a history of local problems or city ordinance. I looked at Walmart's online list and there were four stores in Houston that prohibit the practice. One might speculate that where there is a lot of transient labor, like the Eagle Ford or parts of the Dakotas, that Walmart may not allow it because they don't want semi permanent residents. I'd guess that most people sleeping in their cars are doing it because that is their only option.

We need to keep in mind that we are talking about separate issues. The thread is about riding a motorcycle and sneaking in a campsite where ever the rider will, just because hey, I can get away with it. Sleeping in a car or boondocking at in a parking lot are different topics.

True, boondocking at Walmart is at the discretion of the manager and some stores do not allow it either because of a history of local problems or city ordinance. I looked at Walmart's online list and there were four stores in Houston that prohibit the practice. One might speculate that where there is a lot of transient labor, like the Eagle Ford or parts of the Dakotas, that Walmart may not allow it because they don't want semi permanent residents. I'd guess that most people sleeping in their cars are doing it because that is their only option.

We need to keep in mind that we are talking about separate issues. The thread is about riding a motorcycle and sneaking in a campsite where ever the rider will, just because hey, I can get away with it. Sleeping in a car or boondocking at in a parking lot are different topics.

You are correct. I strayed. Back on track :mrgreen:

I just saw a sign at our Wal Mart saying something to the effect that they don't want people staying there. I need to go back a read it. Also , I haven't noticed any RVs there lately.

This is true, some do ,some don't allow.

It's true, the Walmart in Ennis now has signage asking peeps to not stay there.

We often trailer the little cc bikes to an area and ride from there. So we are always looking for a parking spot for the truck/trailer. In small towns we have asked at the local police station and they have been helpful finding a place for us. I suspect someone in need could also find a spot to overnight, maybe even at their station.

Walmart for the most part, do not mind parking over night in a vehicle as long as they do not pitch tent in the parking lot. Unfortunately, many cities are enacting overnight parking laws that prohibit spending the night in the Walmart parking lot.

You could always stay in a uHaul truck or trailer on their lot. Their trailers are never locked and are clean! Just remember that the manager lives on site and they have security camera everywhere.

Just move to Wyoming. Or, Alaska. Plenty of empty space and camping. Just watch for the bears, antelope and occasional earthquake or windstorm...

Sleepin' under a table in a roadside park,
A man could wake up dead;
But it sure seemed warmer than it did
Sleepin' in my king-size bed.

Lyrics from Charlie Pride, is anybody going to San Antone... sorry, just a good song

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XzHHvxNh4PY"]Charlie Pride - Is Anybody Going To San Antone? - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
I thought this was the stealth camping thread not the motorcycles and music thread? At least that's what I thought Sweet Brown said.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

I thought this was the stealth camping thread not the motorcycles and music thread? At least that's what I thought Sweet Brown said.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

waking up dead in a roadside Park is germane to the topic ;-) . It got us off the Wal-Mart subject that was also complained about. :shrug:

Sweet brown, modern day deep thinker.

Do threads jump the shark after 100 posts?

Last edited:
What about stealth camping in a cemetery on a Haley with straight pipes . I like the old country church buildings with old cemeteries beside them. I lived across the road from one. It was the best neighbors I ever had. I bet if you asked or attended a church meeting they would permit overnight camping on the church grounds. Eventually I will stealth camp under ground anyway. I will ask the pastor if they will allow it tomorrow at Community Church south if Thorndale. Report verdict tomorrow.

Last edited:
The Germans got nothin to do with it........

If I was a single man, I’d be lookin to chase Ms Sweet Brown.....

Wasn't that line used in the movie Snatch? Will have to watch it again.

Yall, can lambaste me all you want:rofl:

Churches, good one, others , not so much
Fence_blades_fgnd_focus.jpg

I will ask the pastor if they will allow it tomorrow at Community Church south if Thorndale. Report verdict tomorrow.

Curious what you found out.
Suspect it is one of those things they might have trouble giving permission for, but wouldn't be bothered by it if no one ever knew a lone traveler had caught 40 winks back behind the church out of sight of passing traffic :angel:.

Curious what you found out.
Suspect it is one of those things they might have trouble giving permission for, but wouldn't be bothered by it if no one ever knew a lone traveler had caught 40 winks back behind the church out of sight of passing traffic :angel:.

He used the question in his short message yesterday. His words were, if someone needed money for gas the church would help, is they needed to park camper to rest overnight that would be fine as well. He did say he usually has good discernment. I believe him
I see it more as heart duty expressed the parable of the sheep and goats Mathew 25:21-41 Not to gain favor with man or God but wanting to help and give because God gave to us first and one thing he gives is a new nature.
There are so many on TWT that extend help even to strangers. I see it in the posts.

I followed an AdvRider thread by a rider (Nomad Woman) on a tired (free) KLR from Florida to Fairbanks, then across Canada. She was living on a very tight budget, so limited that stealth camping was vital to her staying on the road. Food and gas were all that she had money for most of the time. She scouted deserted roads, fields, and empty spots for camping. She never had trouble from anyone.
After considering all of the expenses on a long trip, $100/day budget could be tight if motels, restaurants, gas, and money for new tires, repairs, etc is considered. Most KOA's and official campgrounds are 15-25 dollars a day.
I've never stealth camped nor really considered it. But, if done well and there's no impact on the site, nobody would be the wiser or harmed by it. Still, I'll probably never camp anywhere without permission.

Back