• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

GPS Questions

hcope1 said:
Mark,
I've about had it with you. It's time for you to call 1-800-Waa,Waa, Waaa!:miffed:
And there's no good reason to insult fishermen. You've probably PO'ed half the Forum. Furthermore, "bobbing" can be a very positive experience.:thumb:

The 276-C line was originally developed for open water use; however that fact gives it a huge advantage over the rest of the Garmin line. The screen adjusts depending on the amount of sunlight. It's next to impossible to read a 2610 in bright sunlight

I am SO SORRY, Buzz!!! What can I do to insult the other half? I hate to leave anyone out!!;-) ;-) ;-)

Excellent point about the 276. In fact, all the points made in all these posts are excellent. I hope others chime in over the weekend of rain we're about to have. This has really been informative.:clap:

Seems like the big advantage of the 2610 is the ability to use Compact Flash cards, rather than proprietary cards?

I stopped at Cabela's yesterday evening on the way home to look at units. They din't have ANY of the ones recommended here. But I did get a really nice pellet gun. I wish henceforth to be known as the Verminator.:eat:

Dennis, if you're reading this, the subscription costs I referred to are for XM radio, not GPS. It's about ten bucks a month per unit, I think.

Mark G said:
I am SO SORRY, Buzz!!! What can I do to insult the other half? I hate to leave anyone out!!;-) ;-) ;-)

Excellent point about the 276. In fact, all the points made in all these posts are excellent. I hope others chime in over the weekend of rain we're about to have. This has really been informative.:clap:

Seems like the big advantage of the 2610 is the ability to use Compact Flash cards, rather than proprietary cards?

I stopped at Cabela's yesterday evening on the way home to look at units. They din't have ANY of the ones recommended here. But I did get a really nice pellet gun. I wish henceforth to be known as the Verminator.:eat:

Dennis, if you're reading this, the subscription costs I referred to are for XM radio, not GPS. It's about ten bucks a month per unit, I think.

Mark,

What do I know......I can barely read so no offense taken.....now, sorry, I must leave the PC...I've got to go out to the garage with my cigarette lighter and check the level of gasoline in my BMW.........see you all later.

The 376C XM for Nexrad radar is about $50/mo (according to their website), plus another $15/mo for the radio, if you want that.

As for using it while on the road... Whots rong? Caint multytask?

BTW, saw yur pickcher on the wall at Bridge Bait in Freeport. Said "Hook on Sight. This Winger is known to be anti-sport fishing. If found, catch and DO NOT RELEASE. Hold and subdue by telling him lots of fishing stories, complete with spewing beer, until the proper authorities can take him into custody. Be careful. May attempt to gain freedom by asking lots of questions about your GPS.

Last edited:
Okay, back to business:

Is this what's needed for a two-bike setup, both having Autocom units installed?

Garmin GPSMAP 276C

Auto Navigation Kit # 010-10510-00
This kit include: (MapSource City Select NA, full unlock, friction mount, dash mount, 128MB datacard and 12-volt power cable w/speaker.)

Motorcycle Power/Audio cable P/N # 010-10587-00 (times two)

The above was recommended by the GPS supplier preferred over on one of the FJR forums, in response to my email question.

Apparently the need for the Auto kit is so I get the City Select software and the power cable?

The guy said voice prompt is only available with the City Select software.

Do I WANT a box talking to me?

I have a Garmin 2610 with the 2g card that holds maps for the entire U.S. and Canada. I love it. The quest is also a fantastic unit. I acctually like the size of the quest from a portability piont of view. Just make sure that you can read the screen when sitting on the machine. Its also great for tracking the trip. It will give you a start time, total distance traveled, total stopped time, distance and time to next turn etc. A gps is worth the money.

Mark G said:
The guy said voice prompt is only available with the City Select software.

Do I WANT a box talking to me?

I find myself talking back to mine (267c), she can get a little annoying with the directions if you get off route.:mrgreen:

I go a pair of 256MB cards for mine, but I haven' need the second one yet, I've been able to load the areas for any trips I've taken (Wyoming, CO, NC etc.) on one card and that's loading the street map and the topo maps.

Last edited:
Dyna Sport said:
I find myself talking back to mine, she can get a little annoying with the directions if you get off route.:mrgreen:

I go a pair of 256MB cards for mine, but I haven' need the second one yet, I've been able to load the areas for any trips I've taken (Wyoming, CO, NC etc.) on one card and that's loading the street map and the topo maps.

My wife swears at Madonna (my GArmin Quest) when she says "Off route, recalculating"....dumb bit_ _ is often the the comment.............poor Madonna. But Madonna is getting better..........

Okay, nice rainy day, perused the options at Best Circuit Academy, and the 2720 seems like a great idea...can't compare it to the 276 cuz can't find one to look at in person.

Course, then, after all this, I stopped in at Borders and looked at the individual state maps and the U.S. atlas...and the Tennessee atlas, and...lotta roads on there. Biggest problem with maps is you-know-who reads 'em, and usually does so upside down and about two intersections late. And if that gets pointed out, there's a long route called Stony Silence one has to go down, with absolutely no markers to indicate the way out. Mebbe THAT'S the best reason to get the Garmin, to keep on charmin'.

I can get the 2720 for $730, plus all the attaching stuff. Is that a good price?

Can you use the touch screen with gloves?

kocook said:
The 376C XM for Nexrad radar is about $50/mo (according to their website), plus another $15/mo for the radio, if you want that.

As for using it while on the road... Whots rong? Caint multytask?

BTW, saw yur pickcher on the wall at Bridge Bait in Freeport. Said "Hook on Sight. This Winger is known to be anti-sport fishing. If found, catch and DO NOT RELEASE. Hold and subdue by telling him lots of fishing stories, complete with spewing beer, until the proper authorities can take him into custody. Be careful. May attempt to gain freedom by asking lots of questions about your GPS.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Mark G said:
I can get the 2720 for $730, plus all the attaching stuff. Is that a good price?

Can you use the touch screen with gloves?
Price sounds good.

I have had problems with touch screens in the past on other devices (PDAs), so avoided units with it. Also, not sure how water (rain) affects it either. Best to bring gloves to the store to test before buying. FYI, the functionality may be lost if you want to put a clear protective film over the screen.

That said, someone using this or similar unit on a bike may be able to give you first-hand experience.

Ive heard good things from folks with the touch screen, I got the 276c because I use it offroad on my KTM's as well, and there the screen gets dirty, the gloves get dirty, and a touch screen would be scratched to uselessness pretty quickly. The screen on my 276 is getting the anti glare coating worn just from so many cleanings of the dust on it.

It's a tough unit though, been down a few times, twice in creeks, soaked in rain and handled the paint shaking vibes of my thumper bikes great so far. It has tons of track memory too and takes the topo maps which I don't think the 27xx line does. It also has battery power that lasts pretty much all day so it's useful off the bike and lets you take it inside to plan route stuff at lunch stops etc.

If it used standard memory cards instead of the proprietary garmin memory I would call it the perfect GPS.

But if your street riding only, don't need topo maps and battery power the 27xx line should be a great choice, and the ability to load the whole US street maps on one memory card is a definate plus. I'd stay away from the hard drive version though.

Back