• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Honda ST1300 or Yamaha FJR 1300

I used to have an 03 ST1300 and LOVED it. It was no hotter than any other bike I've ridden or owned. In fact, it was actually cooler than some. My Dad used to have a 1999 HD Ultra Classic and I do believe that was the hottest bike I have ever been on. (He now rides a 2005 ST1300 :mrgreen:)

The only reason I sold the ST was because we now have a new addition to the family AND I bought an Aprilia. I didn't have time to go on 1000+ mile rides anymore like I used to on the ST and began to ride the Aprilia more. It was just sitting there, so I needed to sell it to a good home. ;-)

Just read comments on the ST Owners site and they were talking about heavy boots, overpants, cuttng the inner fairing, rapping the exhaust and one person was saying "rap your ankles with aluminum foil plus 2 pair of socks. THAT's rediculous. No motorcycle should put out that kind of heat. Statements like that is what keeps me from buying a new ST 1300. I have an '06 Electra Glide and it will cook your right under thigh in the summer. I ride year round on a daily basis and I DON'T want anouther WING.

I do not have a heat issue on our 06. The few riders that seem to have that issue are 'vocal' about it over on st-owners.com.

We take two trips during the summer months, one to the hill country and the other to IA and MI. Neither time have we been uncomfortable from heat off the bike during 600+ mile days.

Best bet, if it's that big of a concern is to find a dealer that will let you test ride (or a local ST owner that you can hook up with) and see if you have a heat issue. There are also wind deflectors that will direct air away from the riders legs if the little amount of warm air does cause any discomfort.

As you can guess by my name, I owned a FJR. :thumb: I had an '05 with no heat problems. :thumb: :thumb: I will say that it was a little warmer then my Bandit in the South Texas sun but not so hot as to call it a problem. :wary: I too wear long pants and sometimes over pants.

A test ride would be a great way to decide but you know that just dosen't happen anymore. The last 4 motorcycles I have bought (2002-2005) were not what I thought they would be for various reasons. Test rides were not allowed on new bikes. I purchused a new FZ1 in '02 and the Dealer said, sign the check and paper work, then you can test ride the bike. I owned the motorcycle at that time.
I think my wife would like the ST over the FJR and I'd like for us to take trips again but not on anouther GW.

FJR camp here. I'll try to limit my ST 1300 comments because I don't own one but I did do a lot of research an inquiries before my FJR purchase and do have some comments. Someone already said it well: the ST leans more towards the touring genre and FJR towards the sport genre. FJR wins out: power, agility, looks, weight. ST wins out: Warranty, passenger comfort, availability of aftermarket farkles. I picked FJR for all the reasons I just gave, they were important to me because I already own the ultimate tourer IMHO an 2006 GL 1800. If your riding style leans more towards leisurely paced cruising and smelling the roses then get an ST. If your like me and want near sportbike performance without that horribly uncomfortable rider positon and ergo issues, then get a FJR. FYI:
http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_performance_numbers/index8.html

A test ride would be a great way to decide but you know that just dosen't happen anymore. <snip>Test rides were not allowed on new bikes. .

Most BMW dealers are happy to offer test rides to serious shoppers. The R1200RT is another bike to consider, especially if extended touring is on your agenda. It is a bit more expensive but very nicely equipped.
Ben White/The Hills, TX

If your thinking about those 2, don't forget the Kawasaki Concours.
I've owned mine for about 3 years, after not riding for more than 20 years.
It is my daily commuter from Leander to U.T. campus. Haven't had any problems, except I tend to creep up over the posted speed limit. ;-) You can PM me if you want a test ride.

Most BMW dealers are happy to offer test rides to serious shoppers.

I've not had a problem getting test rides on any bike I've purchased. The only bike I didn't test ride before purchase was the Busa, because my arm was in an immobilizer from totalling my GSX-R750 when I bought the Busa. I had to have a friend ride the Busa home for me, since I couldn't reach the clutch.

Every other bike I've owned, 01 ZX-9R, 02 GSX-R750, 04 ST1300, 06 R1200RT, I've been able to test ride. I was also given test rides on two different Aprilias, the Mille and the RSV-R. It all comes down to the "serious shopper" part, and how you present yourself to the dealer ... IMO.

I test rode both my FZ and a consignment FJR before getting out the wallet, guess things have changed since 2005. The heat thing happens every summer, FZ is hot at the calfs and the FJR directs all that power-created heat to the inner thighs. The ST I rode seemed to route it downward away from the bubble I ride in.

I test rode both my FZ and a consignment FJR before getting out the wallet, guess things have changed since 2005. The heat thing happens every summer, FZ is hot at the calfs and the FJR directs all that power-created heat to the inner thighs. The ST I rode seemed to route it downward away from the bubble I ride in.

Things have changed for the FJR beginning with the 2006 model year. This seems to be a direct result of previous model owner complaints. Imagine a vehicle manufacturer that actually listens to it's products owners. A factory redesigned curved radiator with a redesigned air flow management system which ducted engine heat away from the rider. Some other changes: 1. A longer swingarm which slightly extended the wheelbase. 2. Factory three position adjustable handlebar risers. There are a couple of other changes that I think they went the wrong way on that are well known: 1. Clutch slave cylinder: adversely affects clutch engagement and requires extra effort needed to pull and keep the lever in. 2. Throttle cam tube change: Contributes to an undesirable on/off throttle feel and drivetrain lash, also inhibits smooth throttle operation.

Back