• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Butt Pucker Moment

Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Wells III
One of the Harley Guys On The Ride Today Had A Butt Pucker Moment. Good Thing He Was Wearing Leather Pants,They'll Be Easier To Clean The Crap Out Of Them...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvVrLQH8Tk4"]Harley Brake Test - YouTube[/ame]

He was distracted looking at his gas gauge when he looked up he saw something in the road and panicked. I was right behind him and the only thing on the road was the shadow from a tree.

He needs to store that thing in the garage until he actually learns how to ride a motorcycle from a qualified instructor. Standing on the rear brake at highway speeds is sooooooo 1975.

By 1975, do you mean the number of bone fractures he's likely to get? :rider:

I think he went a bit wide there. Hopefully he will learn quickly from his mistake. Experience is a tough teacher sometimes.

I think he went a bit wide there. Hopefully he will learn quickly from his mistake. Experience is a tough teacher sometimes.

Yea he went wide a few times that day. He was trying to stay with the riders ahead and got over his skill set. Too many people think that riding towards the back means your slow. I normally volunteer to be Sweep because i like to video the ride and its usually safer back there too. I was more to the front this day because there were too many new riders to deal with so i wanted to be ahead of most of them.

I thought it looked like he wasn't paying attention and ran up on the bike in front of him then panicked. Locking up the rear brake is forgivable, crossing over into oncoming traffic is not. I wouldn't invite him back to that kind of ride until he's developed better riding skills. Take him on slower paced rides, take a class, something.

...and agreed, he's just lucky nothing was coming the other way. Bike skewed hard enough to throw his foot off the pedal, wondering if that helped him in the end?

...and agreed, he's just lucky nothing was coming the other way. Bike skewed hard enough to throw his foot off the pedal, wondering if that helped him in the end?

Yep, kept the bike from getting to far out of line and do a high side. Surely would have spit him into the air then jumped up and down on his self. Gauges are for when all else fails to inform you of why your slowing.:doh:

would ABS helped his real bad mistake? I've drifted across speedy off camber stuff and still fill a sicking feeling when I think about it. Hopefully he learns from this (could have been) fatal mistake.

Yes. ABS would have prevented the rear wheel lock-up which would have the kept the bike in a straight(er) line. Once the bike started to stand up he'd lost any ability to continue through the corner.

A little more countersteer and a firm hand on the throttle would have got him through.

A little more countersteer and a firm hand on the throttle would have got him through.

:tab Once you are in the corner and slowing is not really an option (assuming you don't want to stand up and blow the corner), all you have left is Look, Lean, and Roll, the last part of Slow, Look, Lean and Roll from the MSF class ;-) Unfortunately, once panic sets in, those last three are NOT your typical panic reactions. You have to train yourself to do them instinctively. I find that literally yelling them in my helmet helps me refocus if I am on the edge of panic. Doing so has saved my bacon a few times.

I find that literally yelling them in my helmet helps me refocus if I am on the edge of panic. Doing so has saved my bacon a few times.

Happened to me recently, too hot into the corner, started to do all the wrong (survival reaction) things and shouted to myself! Made a clean, albeit rather fast line through the corner.

Back