• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Lone Star Loop (2,180 DS loop)

I should be available ~May 12th - 22nd; I am not sure if I can ride the whole thing at that time. I live in Hemphill TX so this pass right by my house; would direction would you be going?

Today I went out on my Ural. First I dropped off my son at the airport so he could fly back to his home in South Dakota for the recruiter to pick up in the morning so he can start Army boot Camp Tuesday. After dropping him off, I made my way to Boerne and then rode off to Bandera where I hopped on the Lonestar loop. I rode it from Bandera to Pleasanton. I had to quit and nurse an ailing Russian motorcycle home to New Braunfels. Other than a clutch going out on the Ural (again), the ride was great.
b80cadaa90c22a1a594c11305f278868.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwaller, you're brutal on Ural clutches... If you need an extra hand, give me a call. Eddie.

Right on, John.

I left San Marcos Friday, and headed to Camp Wood, where I left off the last time I did some of the Loop.

The first couple pics are of the gate I stopped at last time, as I mention a couple pages back in this thread. I really like that their list names the US Border Patrol. Why not name the UN too? Anyway, for all who are wondering- I never ran into the "armed rider" mentioned.

Attachments

• 4.13.18 22.jpg
    4.13.18 22.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 399
  • 4.13.18 23.jpg
    4.13.18 23.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 389
  • 4.13.18 24.jpg
    4.13.18 24.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 352
  • 4.13.18 21.jpg
    4.13.18 21.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 363
  • 4.13.18 25.jpg
    4.13.18 25.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:
Bump gates galore.

I filled up once more just before 10, and started to look for a place to sleep for the night. I randomly followed a two track off the route, which lead me to an old gravel pit, where I camped for the night.

Attachments

• 4.13.18 14.jpg
    4.13.18 14.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 339
  • 4.13.18 15.jpg
    4.13.18 15.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 334
  • 4.13.18 16.jpg
    4.13.18 16.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 345
  • 4.13.18 18.jpg
    4.13.18 18.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 360
  • 4.13.18 19.jpg
    4.13.18 19.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 336
More bump gates. More bluebonnets. Passed some really cool old stone buildings.

Attachments

• 4.13.18 6.jpg
    4.13.18 6.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 348
  • 4.13.18 7.jpg
    4.13.18 7.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 351
  • 4.13.18 8.jpg
    4.13.18 8.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 331
  • 4.13.18 10.jpg
    4.13.18 10.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 322
  • 4.13.18 12.jpg
    4.13.18 12.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 317
The ceiling height inside the stone house was about 6'4". Standing with helmet on, I had to hunch just a bit to walk around inside. Were people just shorter then, or was the builder sick of stacking those huge stones and just said "good enough" and quit?

And because I got a thing for old bridges- one pony truss and one through truss.

After making it almost to Abilene Saturday evening, I turned south and rode into Kerrville KOA around 9 or 10, and camped with the TWT Strom-a-thon folks.

Great weekend for sure.

Attachments

• 4.13.18 5.jpg
    4.13.18 5.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 347
  • 4.13.18 2.jpg
    4.13.18 2.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 309
  • 4.13.18 1.jpg
    4.13.18 1.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 331
Thanks, Brian. Of course, the pictures NEVER capture how beautiful it is in person. This is a great time to get out and ride, before the weather turns to melting my jacket to my body. It was windy Friday and Saturday, but temps were nice, and everything is still green instead of yellow.

Bump gates galore.

I filled up once more just before 10, and started to look for a place to sleep for the night. I randomly followed a two track off the route, which lead me to an old gravel pit, where I camped for the night.

Any word on this gated road for sure?

It's open/unlocked, just leave them as you found them.

JT assured me it was legal after the first time I came across it, and ultimately turned around.

Just another example of the landowner trying to make a public road appear private.

Just another example of the landowner trying to make a public road appear private.

In all fairness to landowners, most put up a gate due to folks poaching +/- folks dumping trash.

The general population doesn’t respect private property rights, will enter a place to poach, dump trash, tear up roads, cook meth & otherwise act the fool.

Think about the average idiot. Then think about the fact that 1/2 of idiots out there are dumber than the average idiot.

It’s not motorcyclist who get roads closed, it’s trashy poaching idiots.

In all fairness to landowners, most put up a gate due to folks poaching +/- folks dumping trash.

The general population doesn’t respect private property rights, will enter a place to poach, dump trash, tear up roads, cook meth & otherwise act the fool.

Think about the average idiot. Then think about the fact that 1/2 of idiots out there are dumber than the average idiot.

It’s not motorcyclist who get roads closed, it’s trashy poaching idiots.

I can see both sides of the issue here. Once again its the 1% of the population ruining things for the 99%. Life is better if you focus on the 99% rather than the 1%.

The only thing we can do is be part of the 99% and be respectful.

Any recent updates or changes on this? I think the gpx files I have are original version. I need to read the entire thread again to make sure I have the most up to date version.

Looks like the last time anyone posted about riding it was back in April. Seems it kinda died out. I'm planning on riding the entire loop in the upcoming weeks just wanted to make sure all things were good. I know hunting season is in full swing but sticking to the road I might not make to many folks mad.

I would like to do the entire loop next year if possible.
Jerrybo, is who developed the loop, has a good ride report starting at post #109
He has some gpx updates there also.

Other than a clutch going out on the Ural (again), the ride was great.
b80cadaa90c22a1a594c11305f278868.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I REALLY wanted a Ural, but after reading about all the issues I just couldn't do it. I ride alone too many times. I wished they'd sort that stuff out.

I REALLY wanted a Ural, but after reading about all the issues I just couldn't do it. I ride alone too many times. I wished they'd sort that stuff out.

Just under three years of ownership and I went through one cylinder, swing-arm, steering damper, speedometer, odometer, fly wheel, clutch cable, u-joint, O2 sensor, low fuel light, electric starter, and three clutches and transmissions. Ural was great about honoring their three year warranty. The only out of pocket for me was the clutch cable and u-joint, expendable items. The warranty was expiring in October, so I was fortunate to get rid of it before then as I know it would have cost me an arm and a leg to keep running. That being said, it sure was a fun ride whenever it was running. Ultimately not worth it for me. I'll try to get a tub some time in the future to hang from my Scrambler.

I figured I give this a bump for southtx and all.

Chris (t mud t) hope to see you out again . We went on Sanders Menard ride last spring I believe. I did this lower south east san antonio section (Pleasanton to Thompsonville) the other afternoon and it was really fun seeing new roads. I was impressed to see that much of this section was still gravel and real DIRT roads!

Brian, did you have any issues with gates on that section?

Last edited:
Bryan, did you have any issues with gates on that section?

No gates, all public roads. Interesting thing I found twice was a pin driven in the center of the road West of Floresville. I believe I hit the first one and saw the second. Scared the you know what out of me. Hard to believe they would have those driven in the centerline of the road and still have the road open. No wonder it didn't run me thru.

I'm trying to get Sander interested in this and use this for a 2 day ride just around San Antonio . We could call it S.A Duel Sport Loop or something.

I'm trying to get Sander interested in this and use this for a 2 day ride just around San Antonio . We could call it S.A Duel Sport Loop or something.

I did just that a couple years ago on my Scrambler. I did it on Black Friday, called it the Black Friday Ride Around Town or something. No one joined me. Still, it was great fun. This is the route I did. This was just a one day ride, though:

15134529_10207313184898172_6419434113877760145_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.jpg

The other day, on New Year's Day, I did the section from Floresville to around Gonzales. It had some very well maintained dirt roads, no deep sand, not much mud, and not rutted up. I stopped at Gonzales and headed home because it was so cold and the wind was getting very gusty, making it really sketch. Didn't see another rider out that day, on or off road. Oh, but I did see a few dudes in the Gruene HD parking lot sitting on their bikes having some sort of meet up.

For a two day ride, we should do the lower half of the ride I did, from Bandera to Floresville, but go on out east some more, to where it goes to Bastrop. We should go north far enough to encompass Austin as well. And west far enough to go around Kerrville. I think that would make a decent two day ride.

Back