• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Requesting a source for electrical wiring repair kit

Reaction score
One of the very small wires for one of the FI sensors has broken on my bike. It looks to be 30 Gage.

The broken wire feeds out of the main wiring harness right next to the ecu.

Where can I find a repair kit with the necessary items that will repair a wire this small?

Already been to Lowes & OReillys.

James
2003 zx12R
Posted via Mobile Device

I would contact electronics repair or tv repairman. DIY at radio shack solder and solder iron. good luck

Best bet is industrial electronics supply . Auto parts stores and big box stores sell the cheapest junk they can get but not at a cheap price . If it is just a broken wire heat shrink tubing and a solder gun is the best cure and see what caused it to break , wires dont just break for the fun of it . A bigger wire wont hurt , I have been seeing a lot of electrical on newer stuff that is barely big enough to handle the load , no room for error . SEYA

We have a local business that sells computer parts and all kinds of electronic hobbyists supplies. Look for something like that.
Fry's would be another option. The one down here has lots of 'stuff' for sparkies to play with.
Finally, if you're any kind of a packrat, tear open an old radio or electronic gizmo. Chances are it has wires this small inside.

If it is a stranded wire more likely it is 26 awg or larger.

If you are able to solder it back together be sure to strain relief the wire and solder joint or the solder joint will fatige and crack.

High temp Hot melt glue or Electrical grade silicone will work.
I would recommend a lead free solder with a "no clean flux" core. Such as Kester K100LD 275/66 or Kester SAC305 275/58

You will need a low wattage pencil type soldering iron with a small tip. I would recommend getting the smallest chisel tip you can find as these are the easiest to work with.

I have been in the electronics industry for over 30years now. It looks easy but but looks can be deceiving.

As dukey said Frys will have everything you will need.
Good luck......

Good suggestions already - I wouls also recommend Fry's since you are in Ft. Worth. They usually have a good selection of wire sizes and heat shrink tubing.

(at least I have kurt fooled)

I am the service manager at Redwood Electronics Corp. I would use 60/40 rosin core solder as the lead free doesn't flow worth a ****. I WOULD PUT TWO PIECES OF HEAT SHRINK ON THE WIRES BEFFORE TWISTING/SOLDERING. THE HEAT SHRINK[USE A BLOW DRIER OR HEAT GUN, NOT A FLAME] should be of two differing progressive sizes to build up protection. Finally, calk with RTV after done. Then zip tie to a structual support to prevent vibration damage. Hope this helps. YMMV.
If yo need to, PM me for parts sources.
Good luck!

Last edited:
I want to say Thanks ( :hail: ) so much to Theo for helping me out and making the wiring repairs this evening.

I actually had two wires that needed repair, and Theo fixed me up in short order.

Theo made it look so easy, I think I could do it next time. Actually, the hard part was finding his house....

Thanks also to everyone who had advice on this matter.

James

Hey James9793 you are very welcome, I'm glad i could help. if anyone else needs help just point them my way.

Back