• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

fm 1002/852 NE Texas

clyde causey

Inactive Member
Reaction score
What: This farm to market road is filled with sharp well marked turns as it winds its way through mostly hardwood timber, some pasture land and as with most rural areas in NE Texas there are plenty of driveways scattered along the way. Be on your toes!!! There are short stretches where you can air it out across a bottom area that affords full view to the other end and no side accesses to worry about. Did someone say triple digits? My guess is there's about 20+ miles before it deadends into fm 852. FM 852 continues in kind. Trouble is, you hit 852 almost halfway between Gilmer and Winnsboro and then you have to choose. Go south to Gilmer and it takes you to a bridge across Lake Gilmer (nice place to stop and look) or go north to Winnsboro, one of those nice little out of the way villages with several good eateries. You must vist the hardware store on the downtown main drag. It is one of those old time Mom and Pop family businesses that Wal-Mart has driven to near extinction. The Dairy Queen seems to be the town gathering area. Of course Fall Colors will be stunning and the Dogwoods in early spring also.
Where: Big Sandy Texas is on US hwy 80 Go NE on TX 155 approx 2mi. turn left (NW) onto FM 1002 and let the games begin!!

Hey Clyde,

:tab You got any pics from this route? What about the other roads in that area? A lot of those roads around Gilmer and Pittsburg look like they could be fun. There's also the area bounded by US 259, Hwys 77, 8, and 11. Those FM's look pretty squiggly on my maps. Ever been over there?

Adios,

I've been formulating some answers: no, sorry, I do not have any pics and no, sorry, I haven't been in the area that you asked about......yet. That has given me direction into the next area around here to investigate. I am going to post another route from Gilmer up to Pittsburg so be sure and check it out. later,clyde

Back