• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I STAYED DRY!! . . . . finally

Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Phenix
Well this is a ride report of sorts but more importantly it's a gear report. I had a chance to pick up a few FM road signs for the game even though I might encounter what some might call inclement weather. BAH! I got the go-ahead Saturday when we closed the shop and didn't even pause to check the forecast. The goal was a sign some 200 miles away and of course I turned it into almost 300 miles by picking up other signs along the way. I didn't see many bikes out but I did run into this group.
IMAG0500-L.jpg
Ah-ooooo-gah!
Temps were in the 60's with gusty winds and scattered storms. I captured the prize just after dark and immediately uploaded it. :rider:
IMAG0516-L.jpg

I then diverted to daughter's place in College Station where dinner and the couch were waiting. It was there I learned of the impending severe storm warnings - the beginnings of the cell that spawned the tornado that caused the devastation in Hattiesburg MS. Sunday morning I was awakened by high winds and thunderstorms. I watched the doppler with interest. The ribbon of red was on a easterly trek and so was I. I decided to let it pass and head south toward Houston to attempt to get around the worst of it. Somewhere northwest of Houston I rode into wind driven rain - not the heaviest rain but substantial nonetheless which persisted for the remaining 100 miles of my journey. In all, the ride was just shy of 500 miles. I am happy to report that I stayed completely dry inside my gear.

On a similar trip for the same, uh, reason almost a year ago when I captured my Mr. March calendar shot,
IMAG0573-L.jpg

I endured over four hours of the heaviest downpour Texas has to offer and it proved too much for my REV'IT jacket's proprietary Hydratex liner. The jacket liner failed and soon the gloves and boots filled with water from the inside. The next day I began to pester REV'IT customer service, not to warranty the jacket but to sell me a bona fide Gore Tex liner out of their new top of the line offering - the same material found in the Motorrad Rallye II gear. Their reply, "we don't have any because we've never had to replace one" was no help but it served to convince me that switching to Gore Tex was the right idea. Two days later I received a call from the same customer service rep. He said had a solution to my dilemma, because I've been such a loyal REV'IT customer (or maybe because I am active on so many forums) he had been authorized to offer me the new DEFENDER jacket with Gore Tex liner at a price I couldn't refuse! Now THAT'S customer service. :clap:
IMAG0783-L.jpg

I think the word "gauntlet" must be french for "rain funnel" because I've experienced water running down my arms and right into my gloves. The new jacket features long cuff zippers that allow the Gore Tex liner to be pulled over the gauntlets for a more positive seal.

So here's the wardrobe head to toe:

Shoei RF1100 - has a new visor gasket / lip design that truly does not leak
Respro Foggy breath guard controls shield fogging
Schampa Chin Guard keeps cold wind and rain off my neck
REV'IT Defender jacket - cuff design allows liner to be pulled over gauntlets easily
REV'IT Alaska Gore Tex winter gloves
REV'IT Dakar pants - 5yrs old. I spray the old Hydratex liner periodically with TexSport waterproofing
Sidi On Road Gore Tex boots - enough said

This combination is working well for me. What do y'all do to stay dry? :rider:

Last edited:
Man, I need to gear up like you!

I only stay mostly dry (of course I don't log that many miles in the rain either- just commuting)... I just have a $10 pair of Frog Toggs pants I got on clearance at Academy and a $15 rain jacket I wear over my other gear. I just wear my regular gloves and dry them out in front of a fan once I get to work, and I have a pair of rain boots slid over some old work boots that I wear when its pouring and change into a spare pair of Chuck Taylors that I keep in my office... :rider:

But seriously, one of these days I'm gonna slowly acquire the good stuff like you have!

Back