• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Spicewood Area Riding?

Reaction score
First off, I am a street rider who has never ridden dirt & has been told by minions that I'm missing out. I'm a city boy is all I can reply...like that's an excuse. Anyway, wifey & I live in Houston area, but are looking at a weekend place in Spicewood (up 71 between Austin & Marble Falls). Anyway, am thinking if we do that would be great to do some dirt riding on the weekends so I'm asking what kinda turf is in that area for dual-sporting. Also, what would be a good starter ds...have been looking at KLX 250 & like what I see.

I'm 50, 6' flat & weigh 170 on a good day.

Thanks for that link Jake...& the thought to try before you buy...but I'm guessing the odds of me not liking it are pretty slim.

If you are looking for "Dual Sport", leave HF off the list. Head out 71 about 5 or 7 miles past 281, there is county rd 310 to the left. It intersects with 315 that will take you to Hwy 16 & Llano. Much easier than HF. It is a county maintaned dirt road. Very scenic, hardly any traffic.
Not to say one day you may not like to go to HF, but on more than one occasion I have taken someone out there on the back fence line and they did not have a good time. These were people with one or more years dual sporting, but limited offroad.
Please stick to the county roads if you are starting out. It's free and always leads to BBQ. :eat: :rider: Sam

Ok, 310 & 315 to Llano looks like a great ride. As I mentioned at the top (I think) I'm a street boy...prob'ly a can o' worms, but what ds bike would be best to hit Hwy 71 or 281 for for 20 - 50 miles then hit this kind of terrain for an afternoon? I am definitely a dirt newbie so the tough stuff is a ways off I think & I'm an ok wrench, but time is a premium so low maintenance would be a plus...is it a KLR 650, KTM 450 EXC, a 250 ds? More of a bike question than a stomping ground question, but dumb***** threads can be like that.

Well, let's see, you let yourself open for everyone to jump in. But let me start.
We are talking newbie to dirt/dual sport.
If you like big bikes, lots of power...I ride a KTM 690r, the wife rides a KTM 530
both I consider tall in saddle height and more power than most d/s rides need.
The 690 is more street, with balance shaft and much bigger turning radius. The 530 is a dirt bike with lights, the minimum that KTM could put on them. It has no balance shaft so engine vibrates like a dirt bike. :-P The 690 is 300lbs+, the 530 is 250lbs+.
Lots of people on XR650's, DR650's, Klr's. Each has it's place, all are heavy and more street than dirt bike. Many racks & farkles for these bikes though.
If you like small quick and light, I would point you toward the WR250, see Thumper_Tx example, very nice. The XR230 is good, small seat hieght, light, cheap, not as powerful as the WR.
Come to some of the TWT gatherings and you can see & touch all of the above. May not be a big D/S turn out for this next pie run when it's 105 outside.
Good hunting. Get lots of advice from other riders, everyone has a favorite.

Well, let's see, you let yourself open for everyone to jump in. But let me start.
We are talking newbie to dirt/dual sport.
If you like big bikes, lots of power...I ride a KTM 690r, the wife rides a KTM 530
both I consider tall in saddle height and more power than most d/s rides need.
The 690 is more street, with balance shaft and much bigger turning radius. The 530 is a dirt bike with lights, the minimum that KTM could put on them. It has no balance shaft so engine vibrates like a dirt bike. :-P The 690 is 300lbs+, the 530 is 250lbs+.
Lots of people on XR650's, DR650's, Klr's. Each has it's place, all are heavy and more street than dirt bike. Many racks & farkles for these bikes though.
If you like small quick and light, I would point you toward the WR250, see Thumper_Tx example, very nice. The XR230 is good, small seat hieght, light, cheap, not as powerful as the WR.
Come to some of the TWT gatherings and you can see & touch all of the above. May not be a big D/S turn out for this next pie run when it's 105 outside.
Good hunting. Get lots of advice from other riders, everyone has a favorite.

Beware the orange Kool-aid..:eek2:...those bikes are fantastic!
Hey why don't y'all come to the pie run tomorrow and check out bikes?
I'll let you ride my KLR!
:sun:

Back