• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Just finished Chaco Canyon

As always, excellent pictures! It is sad the fires near Santa Fe are still raging. I guess since the Chaco formation is west, the smoke did not drift over the area.

The time lapse of the Chaco Canyon was well done.

RB

Chaco is one of my favorite places on the entire planet! The stars at night, the archeology, the camping.....all sublime!

thanks!

Glad to see the new bike is working out for you :thumb:

Did Santa Fe, Chaco Canyon, Hovenweep, Valley of the Gods, Monument Vally, Goosenecks, Navajo National Monument, Vermillion Cliffs, North/East Rims of Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Sedona, First Mesa Hopi Reservation Walpi (oldest village), and now in a Holbrook, AZ Motel 6.

Was going to Canyon de Chelly from here but have got mostly mixed reviews, mostly because of how its run, all the vendors, expensive tours, and that it pales compared to what I've already seen. So, I'm thinking I'll save it for another time & go to the Gila Cliff Dwellings. I know some here rave about Chelly but to be honest, I've had my fill of canyons on this trip. ;)

More photos & updates on my blog: http://skiphuntphoto.com/moto-southwest-2013/

Was going to Canyon de Chelly from here but have got mostly mixed reviews, mostly because of how its run, all the vendors, expensive tours, and that it pales compared to what I've already seen. So, I'm thinking I'll save it for another time & go to the Gila Cliff Dwellings. I know some here rave about Chelly but to be honest, I've had my fill of canyons on this trip. ;)

That could very well be. I haven't been on a tour since 1980. All my more recent trips have only been up on the rims, but yes, I still rave about the place. :sun:

That could very well be. I haven't been on a tour since 1980. All my more recent trips have only been up on the rims, but yes, I still rave about the place. :sun:

Oh, I'm sure I'll be back that way. It's just I was at Winslow thinking of either getting a room (no, didn't stop by the corner. Didn't even look for it.) Or, trying to get to the oldest Hopi Mesatop village called Walpi. I did make it up there with the bike but the Hopis said no photos & I obliged.

When I left, I noticed I was only a couple hours or so from Chelly and thought about it until the temps dropped drastically & suddenly. Got caught in a very wicked hail storm with no shelter. I'd already ridden through one storm & there was another one approaching on the plain after the hail storm passed. Decided to high tail it to Holbrook & get a room. Next day I calculated going to Chelly was nearly 7hrs out of my way now.

I read and heard from those who'd just been there that the place could be so much better if the NPS ran it instead of the Navajos. I also wasn't going to pay $125 for a jeep tour & I was told the self guided hike will only get you about a football field away from the dwellings. The Navajo won't let anyone get closer & you'd need binoculars to even see them from the South rim.

Everyone agreed that its a pretty canyon but the only striking unique feature is Spider Rock which can be seen from the South rim.

So, at the end of the day I'd be going 7hrs out of my way to just ride to the South & maybe North rim overlooks & possibly doing the self-guided hike. Made a call to save it for the next run when I can make sure to hit it more or less in route. I'd also already done 6 canyons on this trip and was sort of already canyoned out. ;)

In Carlsbad now. Did the caverns today and came from a couple nights at the Gila Cliff dwellings. Heading to Monahans State park mañana.

In Carlsbad now. Did the caverns today and came from a couple nights at the Gila Cliff dwellings.

How is the road to Gila, 152 is partly closed due that 31,000 acre fire. Can you smell or see the smoke in the air?

RB

999539_10151504672953170_851484862_n.jpg

Skip, your pictures absolutely leave me drooling. You have the eye, the touch, and the technique. Big thumbs up to ya!

How is the road to Gila, 152 is partly closed due that 31,000 acre fire. Can you smell or see the smoke in the air?

RB

152 was closed when I left there 3 nights ago. Couldn't smell smoke but over the ridge it looked like an atomic mushroom cloud. They said it was only 5% contained & 152 would be closed at least another week.

I took county road 35 to either 60 or 62 (can't remember) down toward Deming & over to Las Cruces where I got a room & shower after 4 days primitive camping without. Wasn't much fond of Las Cruces at all & kept moving the next day to White Sands & over via Cloudcroft to Carlsbad. Went through some horrible dust storms with low visibility in the plains part then a wicked severe lightning storm coming into Carlsbad with some rain. Got gouged for $70 for the cheapest dive in town & camped at Whites City the next night after the caverns. Much nicer folks at Whites City with great showers.

As Monahans Sand Hills State Park now for a night in route back to Austin to rest. ;)

Thanks for the update on 152. Carlsbad got a massive gully washer a few nights ago and caused major flooding to an area that has had no rainfall the past several years.

Sent by Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back