• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

::: Vietnam by Motorcycle

Reaction score
Ok guys, this thread is used for gathering all information, trip info, ride report... etc about Vietnam.
Anyone who has experienced traveling in Vietnam, feel free to contribute.

1. My short ride to Western side of Vietnam: LINK

2. My first ride with the GS1200: LINK

3. My CX650 Cafe racer project: LINK

And of course some of my trip in the US:

TEXAS trip: LINK
Smokey Mountain trip: LINK

Cool!

By the way, you need to update your sig line. You HAVE your GS now, no need to wait anymore ;-)

Viethorse is the expert.

To get an American's opinion, read Nelson DeMille's "Up Country", a fictional account of traveling in modern Vietnam on a 650 Dakar. And I'm quite positive DeMille, a vet, researched the book with an actual trip.

Viethorse is the expert.

To get an American's opinion, read Nelson DeMille's "Up Country", a fictional account of traveling in modern Vietnam on a 650 Dakar. And I'm quite positive DeMille, a vet, researched the book with an actual trip.

Thank you. Just wanna share my hobby as well as the beauty of Vietnam :sun:

Absolutely. DeMille's book will give impressions. You can give precise information.

I love that we have members from so many countries and continents.

Viethorse is the expert.

Yep - DeMille's book is a fun read! He served as an infantry lieutenant with the 1st Cavalry Division - my old outfit. And yes - he researched the book.

However, keep in mind that DeMille wrote the book in the very early 1990s when Việt Nam was just opening up to the west. It has changed considerably since then - and I mean changed a lot.

I too am a vet as is my wife, who was an Army nurse there. In 2005-06, we lived in the city of Huế where we taught English at the university. While I truly enjoyed "Up Country", if you read it, remember it is fiction and it was set in a period of twenty years ago.

It is indeed a beautiful country - and the beauty is exceeded only by the beauty of its people.

Back