• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

june 2013 marble falls pie run reports

Just wanna say thanks for putting up those pics.
I was actually in one of them! Proves i made it out with all you folks. (pics or it didnt happen?) Was hoping someone had video of the ride over(from Austin)

one of these days i may actually tag along for the camping part too... as long as there isnt any crazy offroad stuff.... wouldnt wanna get the SV dirty now.. LOL:ponder: I havnt been camping in a few years, since i sold all my camping gear and moved back home to TX. Maybe this is my excuse to get back into it?

Concours doesn't handle dirt well since I took off the dual sport tires. :lol2: Nice to meet you in person finally. Might catch me camping next trip. Bring tents and sleeping bag and lots of water. Drew

kickstand~prophet, you actually put on rain gear? What is wrong with you man? You don't don rain gear when it's that hot, you open your face shield and let it sting you with it's cold wetness and enjoy that damp chilly feeling. I was looking at the few clouds up there wishing one would spritz me with a short rainfall. Sigh...

IMGP6282-L.jpg

Trivia question. Add number of riders to number of bikes and multiply by two. Is your new number more or less than the number of dead grasshoppers in this picture? :rofl:

hey PM Chuck!!! would this be the hottest pie run to date?? there have always been hot pie runs, but I can't remember one where it reached 109*f? :scratch:
and I am pretty sure we have not had a June run over a hundred before! the July and August runs should prove interesting

I double checked with the wife and we both remember her scooter's temp gauge at 110-112 riding home form Celina. I remember 106 in Ft. Davis.

A previous PR to Marble Falls was very hot but probably not 109, the one where Wendy got heat exhaustion riding home.

kickstand~prophet, you actually put on rain gear? What is wrong with you man? You don't don rain gear when it's that hot, you open your face shield and let it sting you with it's cold wetness and enjoy that damp chilly feeling. I was looking at the few clouds up there wishing one would spritz me with a short rainfall. Sigh...

No better time than the present to try a new purchase!!! Not a big water fan, only bathe once or twice a week! :rofl:Had face shield up for the coolness and skipped the pants so my feet and pants were plenty wet when I arrived home. Boots still seem semi-damp. Drew

What a great day of riding. Thanks to Leon and Rod for their excellent leading and route choices. Good news: Some of the video is actually cool! Bad news: The camera never started during the gravel section. Shame on you, GoPro- looks like you need to be punished with the battery upgrade and a bigger SD card. Route for the day- needs updated with Rod's/Red's routes between C and D.

Video playlist on YouTube- this was the most interesting one:

GOPR0204 - YouTube

and

GO010204 - YouTube

AFTER PIE AFTEREFFECTS

Cheez... Your route after PIE can be altered ta show a left turn off of TX71 onto Llano CR310 with Red leadin us. That was the first bit of gravel(n dust) for us. Another left turn onto CR310A/Moss Rd took us back over to the pavement on RR3347 where we took a right leavin Red & Thomas to their secret road blitz.We needed to head back toward Llano (well....as directly as I kno how).

3347 ended with a change to Althus-Davis Rd & a bit (3 mi) more gravel to deal with before being rewarded with the especially twisty hilly bits closer to RR1323. Shame the Go Pro didn't get video of this stretch... Oh well. Takin a right on 1323 quickly put us at Willow City for that brief relief stop under the trees for some water & refreshin.

From there we took the Willow City Loop (first video/first part) with all those big hills & giant views (wish the Go Pro coulda got some of them) & then a weave thru the valley with some shady spots. At TX16 we took a right heading up to the community? of Oxford for a left on Llano CR113 which isn't shown as paved on the Butler Tx Hill Country map (yet). We lost Leon & KLR guy?...(sorry the heat was settin in by then)... when we made that turn....but the road was worth it. (first vid/last part & 2nd vid till FM2323 into Llano). Everyone met back up at Stonewall's for some sweet relief (ice cream n water water water)

Getting ready to roll with Rod from Valley Mills.

IMGP6280-L.jpg

LEANING TOWARDS PIE

Hey Rich...(& the two FJR guys! sorry didn't get yer names) Glad ya'll headed down to meet up with us in Valley Mills. We actually had a pretty good little group goin on with Waco & slowoldguy along... + Danimal from Corsicana. Sorry mfleck didn't get to make it due to his throttle problem on that Bandit at the CEFCO.

Our ride toward PIE detoured off the highway almost immediately... takin in the small community of Patton just off TX317 & then Chisholm Trail into Crawford. After that headin to Osage on FM185 were we then took Coryell CR265 & 274 for that nice Coryell valley view while workin our way toward Gatesville.

The next series of roads took us all the way over to 281 & Lampasas. First off ..FM1783 from FM116 just SW of Gatesville thru King. This is always a great shortcut road ..especially when it changes to Slater Rd (we did hafta deal with some fresh pebbles on the pavement for a bit...but...it is that time of year...a little dust too).

Slater Rd takes ya to FM1690 & Izoro (w/the old Texaco Station) & we kept headin south across the Lampasas River & then onto FM2527 where we took a right on Lampasas CR3420 for an entertainin bit of backroad pavement into town. Love that one...

We met up with Leon's group at the north side Shell in Lampasas & it was there that most everyone else decided on a quick dash down 281 to PIE. Danimal & I kept with my plan & took FM580..FM1494 then the good stuff. LCR1154/Burnet CR106 & CR104 to the nice long CR108 into Burnet parallelling 281 mostly. From Burnet..we gave it up & headed on down 281 with the rest of the traffic. Our reward being a fine pot roast meal topped off with banana cream pie.

Last edited:
No better time than the present to try a new purchase!!! Not a big water fan, only bathe once or twice a week! :rofl:Had face shield up for the coolness and skipped the pants so my feet and pants were plenty wet when I arrived home. Boots still seem semi-damp. Drew

Hey Drew,
Glad ta see ya again. (first time at the Bobarama a while back). Good meetin Beemin & Mikesoldvirago too! &... glad the rainjacket worked out for ya on Sunday. PhilHill & I actually rode for a bit on Sunday too. I tried to keep us under the clouds as long as possible but finally we had to resort to headin toward the shady roads around Mother Neff before pointin the bikes homeward about 2PM. I napped most of the afternoon and evening...(I don't kno how to "nap") which is why I'm up writing these replys now (got back at 10PM Saturday night & up till 1AM dealin with net problems).

Trivia question. Add number of riders to number of bikes and multiply by two. Is your new number more or less than the number of dead grasshoppers in this picture? :rofl:

I think only one hit me. Either the lead bikes were clearing a path or the superior aerodynamics of my RT caused them to blow around me. :mrgreen:

much less! cheez took a sniper grass hopper to the right eye, :shooter: fortunately he was wearing sun glasses!!
and at the next stop he upgraded is open face helmet with a pair of impact resistant goggles! :cool2:
I was in the lead for the hopper sections and mainly took hits to the boots and lower legs with one solid hit to a knee cap but at stop lights and signs I could smell them cooking on my radiator. I don't know why Jeff's bike didn't over heat, his radiator had a good 25% blockage of dead hopper parts!

much less! cheez took a sniper grass hopper to the right eye, :shooter: fortunately he was wearing sun glasses!!
and at the next stop he upgraded is open face helmet with a pair of impact resistant goggles! :cool2:
I was in the lead for the hopper sections and mainly took hits to the boots and lower legs with one solid hit to a knee cap but at stop lights and signs I could smell them cooking on my radiator. I don't know why Jeff's bike didn't over heat, his radiator had a good 25% blockage of dead hopper parts!

The grasshopper to the eye was the warning shot- I put the goggles on just before grasshoppermageddon there outside of Hamilton, and BOY am I glad I did! The bike's windshield looked like a Pollock painting after that.

I'm seriously thinkin of alterin my Summer riding habits to an evening schedule. The "Grasshopper IEDs" of the mornin/midday are F A R worse than the flyin "Bugs of Dusk". The ride back Saturday evening was evidence to that*. Got home about 9:45

*Course there are the OH..DEER! moments which will require more "Illumination" on the subject

Number 2 bikes in the column (number 3 and 4 in group) took the brunt. The front bikes were scaring them causing them to scatter and take flight...directly into our path. Ugh. :D

I still smell cooked grasshopper when my bike gets up to operating temps. Even after I cleaned it...maybe I need to dig in and do a deep clean, pull off side panels and clear the radiator.

The late afternoon sun was illuminating them good in my worries and it looked like heavy tracer fire going on behind me.

Sent from my iPhone via the NSA using Tapatalk 2

I still smell cooked grasshopper when my bike gets up to operating temps. Even after I cleaned it...maybe I need to dig in and do a deep clean, pull off side panels and clear the radiator.

They should be pretty much dried out by now, a good blowing back through the radiator with a air gun should blow them right out.

Sent from my iPhone via the NSA using Tapatalk 2

Back