• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ray Roberts Lake State Park / Denton ride

ThomasM

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Mangold
In conjunction with my trip to Denton for the Adventure Riders International classes I took, I spent four nights at RRLSP. It's a nice enough park, but my experience there was pretty disappointing. I've stayed at a bunch of them over the last year or so, and I've certainly had more attentive park staff at many others. This one isn't as well maintained as most of the others either. At the end of each day handling a 1200GS over stuff I hadn't dreamed about last week, I really needed a hot shower, which is why I stayed in the park instead of just camping out in the field where the classes were. The light timers in the bathrooms were not set properly, so they were dark well into the night. The hot water lasted about 90 seconds, then went lukewarm at best. Tried three different buildings and same thing each time. Left a note with the office. Hopefully they'll get a few things fixed because this park was not up to par with some of the others I've stayed at recently. (Mission Tejas was probably the best one I've experienced in the past year out of about a dozen.)

Also, not the park staff's fault, but I don't know how I keep managing to pick the sites next to groups with tons of wild kids running around. It's great for kids to be outside playing instead of staring at a TV, but I sure wish I could figure out how to pick sites better and away from the family reunions and birthday parties. I guess if I could do without electricity it would help, but that's rarely an option.

Anyway, the ride up was the explore and head north on FM roads west of 35 deal since I had plenty of time to get there Thursday night, but I had to get back today before everyone left the office, so super-slabbed down 35. The biggest problem I usually have with that kind of riding isn't the traffic, but the boredom. Traffic was actually kind of light, but a bit before Waco the drowsiness factor was setting in so I pulled off for a whataburger recharge and got back to the office in time to annoy everybody that was planning to leave early because the boss wasn't there. :lol2:

Sunset over the lake
F6B19EA0-05C6-4443-AF11-8350D61005BB-3381-0000039594EB43E7.jpg

The campsite
1DA40E98-DE71-4C90-81BB-877B269C1001-3381-000003958D3E2EBD.jpg

I appreciate the park report.......We've had good luck with KOA's in general.
:sun:

I love hearing that you loved Mission Tejas.

I'll pass it along to the rest of the staff!

--Mick, ranger at Mission Tejas.

Is that the tent you can park the GS in?

Yep, that's the tent alright. I have the previous version.

It is the current version. Still working on getting in up and down within a few minutes, but it's not bad. I really like the room. Taking it to CO later this week for a 7 or 8 day ride, so I'll get to practice a bunch.

Back