• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KTM Thumper Discussion

The difference with a CV carb is that once you get the jetting right, they are much less affected by altitude or barometric changes. But I have never seen on that put out the performance of a cable slide type.

Sam

Just trail riding the 300 is great. Easy to putt around and has good torque to do so. The 250 does like to ridden a bit more on the gas but not as bad as the older 250s. After having 2 300s and racing them. I don't think I would ever have another. I would either go 250xc or xc-w or 350xcf-w. The 250s are just a bit more forgiving than the 300 and not as crazy on top end.

Just trail riding the 300 is great...but...crazy on top end.

Quoted because I want to make sure I don't forget this fact.

Even my 625 is quite a bit more hyper than my XRL ever was. When I first started riding it, I had to make sure I was watching my speed. Just feeling it wasn't something I could rely on...was going way faster than I thought I really was, compared to the Hondas.

Last Sunday I got back on my XR250 for an afternoon ride after riding the KTM that morning, and the relative lack of power was immediately noticeable...

Last edited:
I've been itching for a 300 for about 6 months or longer, and every time I read opinions about this bike I want it even more. I've been looking at the 200's also, but every time I hear "likes to be on top of the power" I think of a bike that won't put up with much balancing practice and slow-go riding. That's something I like to work on on quite a bit.

Will a 300 complain about that sort of riding?

You can lug and plunk around on a 300 all day. It's a mean machine when you ride it in the power band. The output is seriously tuneable via mapping on the new ones and with the power valve settings. Add in a different sloped throttle wheel like the G2 and its super crazy tune able.

I just got a 2011 250 XC-W. I am thinking of a skid plate and hand guards. Any recommendations?

Last edited:
Hey guys -

Might be a little late to this discussion but I really like the Fastaway/Pro-moto Billet hand guards with threaded inserts or probably even better, the Highway Dirtbike stuff. The Fastaway stuff replaces your top clamp and the bark busters attach directly to the new top clamp, so it's bomber and opens up your bars for other gadgets.

The HDB handguards do the same thing and are by far the most burly handguards I've ever seen. I've met Paul Degarate and seen a lot of his stuff, all of it is first class.

OTOH since both of them replace the top clamp, they are spendy...

Justin

I just pulled the trigger on the HDB guards with fold out mirrors, custom top clamp with keyed ignition switch and powerlet socket. I'll post up when they come in and I get them installed.

I ended up buying KTM/Moose guards and an aluminum EE skid plate and tested the heck out of them at Red River. They survived multiple events

I just pulled the trigger on the HDB guards with fold out mirrors, custom top clamp with keyed ignition switch and powerlet socket. I'll post up when they come in and I get them installed.

Hornet, the real question is, when are you going to pick up the HDB Rally Lite kit?? :trust:

Justin

Hornet, the real question is, when are you going to pick up the HDB Rally Lite kit?? :trust:

Justin

It's on the want list, along with 100 watt DC stator conversion/upgrade, HT oil cooler, maybe a fan for the radiator, oh and some radiator guards and some Giant Loop bags. Cha-Ching! :eek2:

Done the stator upgrade, darned reg/rec seems to be failing though. Did do the big rally light after doing the stator upgrade.
Was going to do the oil cooler but then I moved away from Tejas.
Did the radiator fan and I think the thermostat is shot, because it will never turn off.
Did the rad guards in the form of a big 3.4 gal tank, but no, haven't done the fancy billet rad guards.
Ran a GL Mojavi for years, it's bomber.

Done the stator upgrade, darned reg/rec seems to be failing though. Did do the big rally light after doing the stator upgrade.
Was going to do the oil cooler but then I moved away from Tejas.
Did the radiator fan and I think the thermostat is shot, because it will never turn off.
Did the rad guards in the form of a big 3.4 gal tank, but no, haven't done the fancy billet rad guards.
Ran a GL Mojavi for years, it's bomber.

How do you like the big rally light? I'm also looking at the Baja Designs squadron headlight. Bwdmax runs one on his 525 and it's pretty cool looking.

How do you like the big rally light? I'm also looking at the Baja Designs squadron headlight. Bwdmax runs one on his 525 and it's pretty cool looking.

Mine is just a big round rally light but I love it. The stock light is ridiculous. I'm running a standard H4 bulb but you can also do an LED upgrade for about $65 that puts out a ton of light. Mine is from Darryl at Cyclops which I believe is a Trailtech licensed frame with a Cyclops reflector design. Darryl knows his stuff if you need lighting help and he's a good guy. Fastest dude you'll ever meet on a 990 :trust:

IMG_6315_Mod-L.jpg

It's on the want list, along with 100 watt DC stator conversion/upgrade, HT oil cooler, maybe a fan for the radiator, oh and some radiator guards and some Giant Loop bags. Cha-Ching! :eek2:

I am updating the 200's radiator protection with some BPD full front and side guards. I have the older tube side guards on it now. You are welcome to them if you want. I am not sure they fit the '07 and back but... Thru all the crashes the radiators have never been bent, just 3 times I have had things go thru the front of them. The last one was definitely my fault. :doh:
Anyway, when the new Radiator gets here I am going down to TJ's and make sure the guards they have fit. At that point you are welcome to the old ones. And the plastic guards that go in front, I hope to not need them. ;-)
That way when or if you go to the big tank, you have not spent money on Radiator guards.

Sam

I am updating the 200's radiator protection with some BPD full front and side guards. I have the older tube side guards on it now. You are welcome to them if you want. I am not sure they fit the '07 and back but... Thru all the crashes the radiators have never been bent, just 3 times I have had things go thru the front of them. The last one was definitely my fault. :doh:
Anyway, when the new Radiator gets here I am going down to TJ's and make sure the guards they have fit. At that point you are welcome to the old ones. And the plastic guards that go in front, I hope to not need them. ;-)
That way when or if you go to the big tank, you have not spent money on Radiator guards.

Sam

Cool, you are very kind sir!:clap:

I installed the Highway Dirt Bikes (HDB) hand guards today along with the top clamp mods. I chose to keep things simple with the sdx top clamp with key switch mount and powerlet socket mount. HDB offers the Baja Designs key switch on their website, however, I had previously installed the Sicass Racing start/kill switch on my bike, so I wanted to use the Sicass key switch to keep things plug n play. I called HDB and spoke with Derrick. He said the Sicass switch would fit their BD mount, but I might have to trim some of the plastic collar on the key. He was right, I got out the knife and it was an easy fix. Here is a pic of the HDB top clamp with the Sicass key switch on the left and the powerlet socket on the right.
untitled4.jpg

The HDB guards are very beefy and mount to the bars via threaded inserts. I was a little nervous about tapping the handle bars but I just took my time and used a liberal amount of wd-40 to lube the tap and I also made sure to back the tap out whenever it felt like it was binding and cleaned out the shavings. I may have been a little over cautious but the last thing I wanted was to break the tap off in my handlebars:eek2: The tapping process was successful and the rest of the mounting process was fairly straightforward. There are mounting instructions on the HDB website as well as a couple of UTube videos out there. Every thing fit very well and I was pleased with the results. Here is a picture of the Sicass start/kill switch mod:
untitled-5.jpg

This switch was plug n play with the factory wiring harness and also with the Sicass key switch that I installed. BWDMax turned me on to this mod. Thanks Gary! I kept the factory kill switch on the left handle bar and wired it up to my horn which I mounted under the headlight cowl. Here is another pic of the hand guards with the fold out mirrors. I really like the mirrors!
untitled-6.jpg

The mirrors fold inside the hand guards for protection when on tight trails. Finally, a pic of the guards from the front of the bike.
untitled-3.jpg

Please excuse my messy porch. :lol2:

Good job! As you know, with what we ride, handguards are required equipment!

Justin I've replaced a couple of the thermo switches so far. When they go bad the fan stays on. Seems the $4 versions don't last very long. The $10 version has been in place for a couple years now.

I installed the Highway Dirt Bikes (HDB) hand guards today along with the top clamp mods. I chose to keep things simple with the sdx top clamp with key switch mount and powerlet socket mount. HDB offers the Baja Designs key switch on their website, however, I had previously installed the Sicass Racing start/kill switch on my bike, so I wanted to use the Sicass key switch to keep things plug n play. I called HDB and spoke with Derrick. He said the Sicass switch would fit their BD mount, but I might have to trim some of the plastic collar on the key. He was right, I got out the knife and it was an easy fix. Here is a pic of the HDB top clamp with the Sicass key switch on the left and the powerlet socket on the right.
The HDB guards are very beefy and mount to the bars via threaded inserts. I was a little nervous about tapping the handle bars but I just took my time and used a liberal amount of wd-40 to lube the tap and I also made sure to back the tap out whenever it felt like it was binding and cleaned out the shavings. I may have been a little over cautious but the last thing I wanted was to break the tap off in my handlebars:eek2: The tapping process was successful and the rest of the mounting process was fairly straightforward. There are mounting instructions on the HDB website as well as a couple of UTube videos out there. Every thing fit very well and I was pleased with the results. Here is a picture of the Sicass start/kill switch mod
This switch was plug n play with the factory wiring harness and also with the Sicass key switch that I installed. BWDMax turned me on to this mod. Thanks Gary! I kept the factory kill switch on the left handle bar and wired it up to my horn which I mounted under the headlight cowl. Here is another pic of the hand guards with the fold out mirrors. I really like the mirrors!
The mirrors fold inside the hand guards for protection when on tight trails. Finally, a pic of the guards from the front of the bike.
Please excuse my messy porch. :lol2:

Very Nice! I like how clean the bars are with this setup.:mrgreen:

Last edited:
Help!!

Sadly, my bike (2010 KTM 530 EXC Champ Ed) has been sitting since my last trip in April. As always when it sits for more than even a few weeks, the carb gets all gunked up because of the crap they put in the gas now... even if I shut off the gas and run it until it dies. Anyway, to prep for an upcoming trip, I pulled the carb for cleaning. The varnish smell almost made me pass out. I got all the jets out, got everything cleaned, and put them back. I removed the slide to clean it as well. Upon reassembly, when I open the throttle all the way, the little lever arm (#64 on fiche) on the accelerator pump actuator catches behind the cam that operates it as the throttle is opened. This prevents the throttle from being able to rotate back to the closed position. In fact, this happens just before wide open throttle and before the cable wheel (#12 on fiche) hits the throttle stop screw. The only way to release it is to hold the throttle wide open and manually rotate the pump arm out from behind the cam, then release the throttle. The problem is, if I am riding and it sticks... well, let's just stay that would not be pretty!!

I did NOT mess with the little screw on the pump actuator. Nor did I remove any of it. The ONLY thing I removed was the shaft that runs from the actuator down to the bottom of the carb. This is the one with the little ball shaped end on the top side (#72 on fiche). I did not take apart the pump on the bottom part of the carb. As far as I can see, there is no way to adjust anything with regard to the cam behind the cable wheel or on the lever arm on the pump actuator. This has never happened before, so I am kind of at a loss to figure out what I have done that is causing the problem.

I can't find any good pics of the cam behind the cable wheel. All I can find is the parts fiche which doesn't show that side of the cable wheel.

Any ideas?

Back