• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Year in Review - '03

Reaction score
It's been a banner year for me on all sorts of levels.

The year started off right with a trip to Big Bend and ended right with a ride in the Hill Country. This was the first of many street/dirt trips for the year. The highlights included crossing 100 miles of west Texas desert just outside of Sanderson to a little place called ****'s Half Acre. Hiking the Window trail, about 8 mile round trip of steep trails, at Chisos Basin. I broke my ankle 4 months earlier so this was going to be quite a test. My ankle was swollen and stiff but it held up.

There were other shorter trips to include Hodges Gardens, numerous hill country rides including the infamous buzzard attack and Dee's Nuts Incident, two Arkansas trips, a newby ride with Beth riding pinion...no I mean pillion, and the many miles just riding by myself which I do enjoy. Other memories include going down twice, once in the red coliche clay while crossing a stream and the other time while crossing Sandy Creek with fast moving water and thick green algae...I slid off and wound up in 4 ft of stinking creek water. Thank God for removable helmet liners!! Both times no injuries, just a lot of laughing. The big finale was 9 days in Copper Canyon, Mexico. It was one of those life-altering trips and something I plan to do more of. Next year Baja. Get your dirt bike ready!!

Other highlights included buying and building a new house (I didn't personally build it, the contractor did.) Rescuing Loni from the Great Pyrenees Society. She's a great dog. Buying my first true dirt bike in 10 years. Meeting Vladimir Yates on his round the world adventure on a 2-stroke '90 Jawa. Oh yeah, he's also deaf and mute! He's a true adventurer in all ways.

There were some low points, biggest one was losing Mark. I've only met him a few times but you knew right away he was good folk. Hearing Vlad was in a bad accident in Illinois. Scott and Beth's struggle for a family. There are others but I'm stopping here. I think we all have had our share.

But the most important highlight of the year is all the new friendships I've made and the great folks I've meet along my travels. That's what life's all about right? Cheers to all of you and hoping '04 is just as good...even better!

Miles: 18,500 with about 1000 in the dirt.
Tires: 4 sets, one set of TKC 80 knobbies, 1 set D604s, 2 sets of Anakees.

irondawg said:
Miles: 18,500 with about 1000 in the dirt.

I've been riding two years and don't have 18K on the 'priller, just about 16K, 10K of it last year.

Still like your attitude about droppage... :chug:

And it was great meeting Scott in '03. Hopefully, I can make some NE Tx rides in '04... 8)

Last edited by a moderator:
18K...way cool. don't I wish.

For 2003 I only had about 6K, but I was in the middle east for six of those months.

Cheers,
Pete

Howdy,

:tab I have to agree with John... shhh! I did not have any life altering trips this year, at least not on the bikes :P I got in some great riding this year; solo, with Beth, and in larger group rides. I think I am right at 20K for the year between my bike, Beth's and John's PigZilla :mrgreen: All the riding was great! What really made the year great for me was how many really cool people I have met this year. It makes me even happier because my number one goal in creating the TWT site, was to bring all of us together so we could get to know each other, ride together and develop a strong sense of community. Hopefully, 2004 will bring more of the same. :chug:

Adios,

I was able to put approximately 13k on my GS. About 2k on my VFR. With the numbers you guys are throwing around, I feel like I need to ride more. All I need is time.

My goal this year is to do some more group rides. Of the approximately 15k miles I rode this last year, roughly 12 of it was by myself. Maybe I should check my deoderant. Or buy some.
If I find time to do some group rides, maybe I can break the 20k barrier.
I would like to do some more dirt roading. At least another trip to BigBend.

I also want to make at least one trip up to TWS for a track day and lesson. Just to try it out.

I wish everybody a safe and happy new year. Hope to meet you sometime, somewhere.

Back