• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Spongy front brakes 1250 ABS

I was just looking over 2011 GSX1250FA at the dealer in Kalamazoo, Mi. I noticed the front brake line collector has two bleed valves. Seems it would be a good guess that Suzuki has recognized the difficulty of getting all the air out, and thinks the collector is a site where bubbles like to congregate. Bandit ABS guys might check to see if it would fit on 1250ABS Bandits.

Just took out a 2012 last weekend on a demo day and brakes were as firm as any of the other SS bikes out there.
Started to look around at the brakes to see anything different and didn't notice anything.
However.... I did not look at the collector :).
Will swing by the dealer on way home see if they have the bleeders.
This may be the answer to a lot of the brake complaints.
I have since put a radial master from a 2003 SV1000 on and brakes are nice and firm, I did however bleed the system with our compressed air bleeder at work. It's high volume and gets all the air out.

EBC ORGANIC KEVLAR PADS FITTED-HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

I have fitted these pads. They are GG rated which is one grade softer than the OEM HH pads. They have noticeably more initial bite which suits the ABS Bandit. Even though I have rejuvenated the brakes with a new master cylinder and reverse bleed, I think all the extra ABS plumbing makes the feel at the lever vague and lacking confidence. With the organic kevlar pads I can two finger brake and modulate exactly what I want. Only a few laps on a trackday might find them fading but that would never happen on the street.

I was running one grade harder than OEM so can vouch that harder or so called race grade pads are definitely not the way to go. Maybe non ABS models would be ok.

As a further update to all, brake pressure is still good after the master cylinder replacement and reverse bleed. No longer need to tie lever back overnight thank goodness. Wish there was more "power" at lever or a harder feel but that's pretty much they way they are designed for now. Maybe next generation Bandit........

Last edited:
bpcs, thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear you have got you ABS brakes functioning at an acceptable level. Haven't heard from Easy Flyer in a while. Hope he has his bike back on the road, and performing up to standard.

I see interesting things in store for me as I already bought the HHs about 2 months ago going forward! :sun:

Well I got my bike back together with new lines from Galfer,
However a decision has been made.

I returned the bandit back to nearly stock condition, including the original OEM master cylinder (man, the B-King MC is a HUGE upgrade for the ABS bandit, I highly recommend it) going back to stock, the brakes feel vague.

I'm going to trade the Bandit in on something similar, but different, and the new machine is going to stay stock. I have invested far too much time and effort into the Bandit, it was fun and I learned a lot, hopefully made some contributions to the scene. I cannot fault the Bandit, its a fantastic machine with a following of great, resourceful and intelligent people/owners.

I think I had the bike almost at the *sweet* spot with power, handling, brakes, comfort. But, at the same time, the project bike was taking up far too much of my time and resources, and I really need to focus on other priorities in life.

The Bandit was FAR too tempting to mod, and it responded well to it, hence I need a reboot.

I will have a bunch of leftover Bandit goodies, and will post them up on here first, give everyone here a look/see, so keep an eye on the for sale section.

EF

PS: I think I know why the Galfer fitting failed, after removing it from the bike, I noticed two strange tool marks on it, it almost seems like whoever built the line, accidentally installed either a straight, or an angle fitting with insufficient angle, and used some kind of tool to add more angle to the fitting. The new lines, and all the other fittings on the old kit have no marks at all. Galfer has been quite good about honoring their lifetime warranty, and they replaced the lines both times with out even asking for the originals back.

Chiming in this old thread. My bandit is 2009 ABS with 7200 miles. I've also bled the front brakes twice, installed the 2011 GSX-1250FA ABS splitter with bleed nipples, still the same spongy brake problem.

Yesterday I installed EBC sintered HH pads to replace OEM sintered HH pads. Stock pads had 2-3mm of material, plenty of meat. The new pads made night and day difference. Front brakes are 1 finger operation now, incredibly responsive, and I haven't even finished EBC's bedding process. If anything, I'd replace pads first.

I haven't been to this thread for awhile, so bear with me. Is it possible WRONG BRAKE FLUID[which may "boil" causing sponginess] is in the bikes with spongy brakes?
FWIW, my stock '07 [ no ABS ]does not have this problem.

How aggressively are you riding to cause your brake fluid to 'boil'? :) I guarantee you that I used bel-ray and motul dot4 brake fluid as specified.

Here's what I did last weekend:
-installed 2011 GSX-1250FA brake hose splitter
-bled an entire bottle of bel-ray brake dot4 brake fluid through front system. Because I introduced 2 new bleed nipples, I bled inlet, then outlet, then Each caliper following the line. There was absolutely no difference in brake feel.

Yesterday I replaced brake pads. No brake bleed changes. World of difference.

So, I am pretty sure it's safe to conclude that the pads were the issue, not the brake fluid.

Good to know. I put EBC pads in long ago. I was going to order the FA dual nipple part and bleed away. Now I will spend the money elsewhere. I guess that's as good as it gets, aside from full rotor / caliper / master cylinder upgrades which I am not willing to do.
The full monty suspension work has made it a long term keeper.

Yeah, I will say that there's no need to get the FA abs distribution block.

How aggressively are you riding to cause your brake fluid to 'boil'? :) I guarantee you that I used bel-ray and motul dot4 brake fluid as specified.

Here's what I did last weekend:
-installed 2011 GSX-1250FA brake hose splitter
-bled an entire bottle of bel-ray brake dot4 brake fluid through front system. Because I introduced 2 new bleed nipples, I bled inlet, then outlet, then Each caliper following the line. There was absolutely no difference in brake feel.

Yesterday I replaced brake pads. No brake bleed changes. World of difference.

So, I am pretty sure it's safe to conclude that the pads were the issue, not the brake fluid.

I don't but was aware from various articles brake fluids have different boiling points which COULD HAVE EXPLAINED the problem. Which is why I wrote my comment in the way it was presented.
Glad to see OP got it taken care of!:rider:

Doesn't ebc brake pads increase rotor wear (compared to stock)? Rotors are $$$

I've installed many sets of EBC HH pads over the years and find they are easier on rotors than stock pads. They may not last as long but function far better.

Doesn't ebc brake pads increase rotor wear (compared to stock)? Rotors are $$$
I don't think so, but I'd rather have good brakes, stop well, and spend money on rotors down the line than have crappy brakes and safe a few hundred bucks.

Even IF the rotors went quicker I REALLY dig the EBC HHs pads on this **** heavy bike! Helps TONS even with stock lines! :D

I wonder if the M/C is a fast fill design like some of the cars and truck use were the pedal feels softer depending on how fast the brakes are applied. I have read the some people say it's Suzuki thing and that a Kawi ZX or Yamaha R1 M/C is much firmer feeling. Just a thought.

Funny you mention it, but it probably is a suzuki thing. They probably use the same MC on half of their line up. Why manufacture something new when you can recycle the parts bin?

skiman: your mileage may vary, but if you read my posts earlier on this page, I concluded that there was absolutely no difference when swapping out the GSF-1250 ABS distribution block for the GSX-FA distribution block. Only thing it will do is allow you to bleed brakes better since there are 2 extra bleed points.

Any new updates
I ran across these they seal against the caliper with spring pressure and not in the bleeder like the speed bleeder brand so once you open the bleeder the system stays sealed and only lets fluid out, no chance of air going back in the system. and no worry about the threads causing problems. And if your tube isn't perfectly sealed on the bleeder nipple all the happens is some fluid leakage no air backing up.

For the front brakes 7x1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Earls-Brake...air-/191431297843?vxp=mtr&hash=item2c9231cb33

For the rear brake and clutch 8x1.25

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Earls-Brake...ash=item4d26fc1cc3:g:CYcAAOSwEeFU~9W-&vxp=mtr

Last edited:
Will do!

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my bandit, and I've put a lot of work into it with small upgrades here and there, its definitely going to stay, but the brakes could use some lovin, and have been very resistant to upgrading!

Good point about the Bandit hardware being used on other bikes like the SV1k with great results. It definitely seems Suzuki messed up something on the Bandit iteration, we just have to figure out exactly what it is.

EF

sv1000 uses a 16mm master with a 30mm leading and 33 mm trailing piston for a ratio of 31:1 with 310mm rotors.
1250s uses s 14mm master with a 27mm leading and 30 mm trailing piston for a ratio of 33:1 with 310mm rotors.

Last edited:
sv1000 uses a 16mm master with a 30mm leading and 33 mm trailing piston for a ratio of 31:1 with 310mm rotors.
1250s uses s 14mm master with a 27mm leading and 30 mm trailing piston for a ratio of 33:1 with 310mm rotors.

Correct. The SV1000/GSXR calipers bolt right up, but it's best if you swap out the MC to match.

I did this mod, with steel braided lines, and the new collector to allow easier bleeding. Used a BKing MC. I finally have the brakes the bike should have come from the factory with. Ebay is your friend here.

I had tried several brake pads before this and even an aggressive pad compound won't make up for the sponginess inherent in the stock MC/Caliper piston ratio setup.

Back