• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Long shot

Reaction score
Has any ever seen a longer chain guard than standard or even one that curves around the rear sprocket?

Sure - even fully enclosed ones in which the chain runs (forever) in an oil bath. It's a pain to change the chain but you only have to do it once in, like, 60,000 miles. And you unbolt/bolt-on the rear wheel using a big Allen wrench thru a hole in the chain housing, blind, by feel mostly. Bike shops hate 'em but the design is perfect.

Ref: 1980-1983 Harley FLTC (Tour Glide Classic), the first 5-spd rubber-mounts (along with FXRs). It's weird having the Hot Rod and top-of-the-line Bagger in the same shop manual.

My daughter will get to figure out what to do with Big Jim 'cause, while I'm alive, it.stays.right.here. But of course it's an 89" S&S Stroker and I did tow a boat with it . . . . . once! :lol2:

Last edited:
several of the small commuter bikes in the late 60s early 70s ran
enclosed chains seem to recall one on the 1966 Honda 50 we had for
mom to run to the store on

Honda S65

1966 Honda S65
Claimed power: 6.2hp @ 10,000rpm
Top speed: 56mph
Engine: 62.9cc air-cooled OHC horizontal single, 44mm x 41.4mm bore and stroke, 8.8:1 compression ratio
Weight (dry): 171lb (78kg)
Fuel capacity/MPG: 1.7gal (6.4ltr)/190mpg @ 25mph (claimed

Attachments

• Honda-65 jpg.jpg
    Honda-65 jpg.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
several of the small commuter bikes in the late 60s early 70s ran
enclosed chains seem to recall one on the 1966 Honda 50 we had for
mom to run to the store on

Honda S65

1966 Honda S65
Claimed power: 6.2hp @ 10,000rpm
Top speed: 56mph
Engine: 62.9cc air-cooled OHC horizontal single, 44mm x 41.4mm bore and stroke, 8.8:1 compression ratio
Weight (dry): 171lb (78kg)
Fuel capacity/MPG: 1.7gal (6.4ltr)/190mpg @ 25mph (claimed

[still off topic]
Started with a Honda 150 Dream, then, very shortly, a 305 Scrambler in the mid 60s (and that's one of the ones I wish I still had), but I always wanted a S90, a totally cool bike that would get outta its own way, unlike the smaller ones.
[/off topic]

From the OP's question, I'm assuming he wants a curve-around chain guard. They're out there, scads of them, but right off the top of my gourd I can't think of any specific bikes that had/have them. (Well, my '76 XLCH1000's guard curved halfway around the sprocket and if that would suit there are a bazillion of those still available, maybe still new from your friendly local Hardly Shoppe. Search old bikes in the 200-350cc range and I think you'll find what you're looking for, then hit eBay.

Ooooh, Ooooh! Lightbulb! Although it's for a belt, not a chain, and useless if your chain is on the left side, check out the guard on a Buell Blast - huge, therefore plenty of material to cut away - and it extended way past the sprocket/pulley and wrapped down, around the front.

Attachments

• buellblast1.jpg
    buellblast1.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 189
its for a bandit 1250.

Was after something to help reduce the fling off from the scottoiller.

Will prob end up with a bit of ally that i end up bending.

But was seeing if there was anything professionally made out there

There is, somewhere, and Google is your friend.

Edit: Another solution: Send me the Scottoiler and I'll send you a can of good, wax-based chain lube. I have bikes that like a little extra oil slung here and there. :lol2:

Last edited:
Back