• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Newb

sphpkr

Reaction score
Greetings all!
I stumbled across this site while surfing and would like to join in. I live in Bellville Tx and currently have a '86 Yam Vmax and a '94 Kaw ZX11. The bikes have very different mission profiles but both are a hoot to ride. I look forward to hooking up sometime for a ride.
Kelly

Howdy!

:tab Welcome to the site! Glad you found us. Don't forget to tell all your riding buddies ;-) What areas do you normally ride? An old VMax... Hmmm wasn't that before they tuned them back a bit? Those things are real arm stretchers :shock: The only ride I had on one was as a passenger and it was one of the scariest times of my life. When the VBoost kicked in we took off. around 100mph the front end started getting all squirrely. I guess my bud realized I was terrified by how hard I was squeezing him!! He kindly slowed back down a little. Then we coasted into the gas station on empty :roll: Good thing too, I would have died pushing that beastie very far!

:tab Have you done any touring on either bike?

Adios,

Thankyou Scott!
I do the majority of my riding out in the area where I live. New Ulm, Fayetteville, Round Top, Burton, Sommerville, Navasota / Carlos, Chappel Hill and such with the occasional blast to the coast. The wife and I occasionally do weekends in Austin or San Antonio on the bike too. We went out to the Hill Country this past fall to check out the 33X but got rained out after running 337. Will have to do a re-do!

The old Vmax is from the pre-tune era but the changes they made really were minimal. I've had it for 10 yrs now and have added a pipe, stage 7 kit and a lot of suspension upgrades. I actually handles pretty good now!
All I have on the Zed is a Muzzy pipe and stage 1 jet kit.

I haven't done any real long distance touring on either bike but thinking of hitting the Ozarks sometime this spring / summer.

sphpkr said:
Greetings all!
I stumbled across this site while surfing and would like to join in. I live in Bellville Tx and currently have a '86 Yam Vmax and a '94 Kaw ZX11. The bikes have very different mission profiles but both are a hoot to ride. I look forward to hooking up sometime for a ride.
Kelly

I rode up to Bellville for Breakfast the day after Christimas. Didn't take very long to get there. Maybe we can go for a ride and you can show me the best roads around there.

I really like the road from Fayetteville to Frelsburg.

Kelly,

Another welcome to the site.

I agree with Chris. You need to show us some good roads in your area. I frequent 390, 3090, and 1458, but have been unable to find any good roads in the Fayetteville area. Any suggestions?

Steve

Any suggestions?

Get out and ride more? :-P Buy a Delorme Texas Atlas and Gazetteer from Barne's & Noble's or another book store. If it is squiggly on their map, more often than not, it is squiggly when you get there ;-)

Adios,

Any time anyone wants to hook up out this way just let me know. I'm usually free on Sundays. Normally I ride per 'The Pace' so might be kind of boring for the faster guys. I do like to heat things up a bit in the twisty stuff and the very occasional straightaway blast. I'm attaching a little route that I like to run sometimes. I'm sure most of you will recognise some of these roads. Some nice variety. My Vmax is down for repairs at the moment but the Zed is kickin.
L8R Kelly

With full tank of gas

Take Hwy 36 North out of Sealy a few miles

Left on FM 949 to Cat Spring

Right on FM 1094 to New Ulm

Left on Hwy 109 to Frelsburg

Straight thru intersection - FM 1291

1291 to Fayetteville

Pickup 1291 north out of Fayetteville (zig-zag on 159) to Hwy 237

237 to Round Top (Gas up / Lunch?)

237 north to US 290

A short blast down 290 east to Burton

Left on 390 to Main Street

Left on Main (390)

Stay on 390 all the way to Hwy 105

Left on 105 to FM 1155

FM 1155 to Chappel Hill

Cross US 290 about 2 blocks

Left on FM 1371

FM 1371 to FM 1456

Right on FM 1456 to Bellville.

Nice day trip. Approx 130 miles.

I may be a Beemer dude but I've wanted a V-Max since around '86, which was 15 years before I started riding. In all that time I've only every seen ONE on the street. Why is that???? I just totally like the bike's rebellious, I-don't-care-what-you-think attitude, its macho performance and its german-shepherd-on-steroids look. Gotta get me one someday! :mrgreen:

There is a Houston V-max group that gets together monthly. Sometimes as many as 12 or 15 Vmax's show up. It's like a frat party on wheels!

I may head out that way later Sunday morning. Anyone want to meet up?

Not sure yet, but I may be doing a ride on Sunday with my Dad and my best friend. I'll have to see if they're up for it. Sounds like a good route. :)

What time are you thinking about leaving? OR better yet, when would you be at 36 and 949?
I have been out of town all week, but that makes me want to ride even more.
I just have to see what the three women in my household have planned for me.

It is going to be cold in the morning (low 30s) so I will probably get a later start than normal. I suggest we meet about 11:00 AM. A central point for all of us seems to be Bellville. I will be coming in 159 from Hempstead. Isn't there a bakery in the middle of town where we could meet?

Kelly, you know the town better. Any better idea?

By the way, I will be on a red Ducati.

Steve

Newmans Bakery is right in the center of town at the intersection of highways 36 & 159. It's easy to find and bike friendly. 11:00 works for me. I'll be on a black ZX-11. We could be at 36 & 949 in about 5 minutes.
Kelly

Barring any unforseen problems at work, I should be able to make it. I will be on a yellow bike. If it is really cold, it will probable be my r1150gs. It has heated grips. Otherwise it will be a vfr.

OK, Newmans at 11:00.

Aggie, you and your guys going to make it too?

Nope. Still have some wrenching to do, so we'll be making a shorter ride. The local stealer managed to mount my buddies front tire backwards, so that set us back and I still need to button up my 500. I had to remove a few more parts than I expected to access the oil lines I was replacing. That seems to be the way it goes around here... :roll: I hope ya'll have fun. if I get out of here early enough today, I may still make that route on the way back up to College Station.

AggieVFR said:
I hope ya'll have fun. if I get out of here early enough today, I may still make that route on the way back up to College Station.

Well you missed an absolutely horrible day of riding. The weather was beautiful, the roads were fun, the food was good and the company was great. Maybe next time.

:tab We made a late afternoon run down to Kings. After charging my battery all night, I had hoped to ride my VFR down. No dice. It would barely even turn over :x Wheeled it back in the garage and Beth and I rode two up on her bike. Deb lead the way on her GS500. We met some nice folks while there. When they came in and we saw that they were riding bikes we invited them to join us, Andy & Shauna Akers. We had a nice visit during lunch and then Shauna went out to try Deb's bike out for size. Andy may have just eaten a very expensive lunch! :P She liked Deb's bike. Let me see if I can get the model name of his beemer right, an R1150RT? It is the boxer fully faired touring model similar to John Bennetts. As we were trying to get out of the parking lot, we spied a couple on a Concours coming in. Of course I had to run over and say hi :mrgreen: Bill and Linda Martin were out enjoying the beautiful day! The bike actually belongs to their son, but they ride a beemer as well. I just cannot recall which one? Hopefully all these people will show up here soon ;-) A quick shot up through the forest and we were home again. There were a lot of bikes out on FM 149 today! We saw a large pack of sportbikes heading North. Saw another couple on a blue Bandit but just did not get a chance to say hi. Great day!

Adios,

We ended up doing a short ride through NW Houston (Cypress-Rosehill area) this afternoon. Casey rode my 500 since his is still out of commission and I rode my VFR. He's still new to riding, so I let him lead and set the pace. He learned quite a bit in his MSF class because he chose good lines through all the corners and even avoided dirt in some of the corners by making adjustments to his line. I think his 500 will suit him well. :) I didn't get to head back to CS until after dark, so my freshly installed Kimpex grip heaters came in really handy. :-D Nice and toasty. Glad ya'll had a good time. A long ride may have been a bit much for a new rider anyway. We had a good time and enjoyed the nice weather. 8)

Yes, very nice ride yesterday. Probably a little too "spirited" for a newbie though.

We met Brian (Brian750?, anyway the guy with the avatar doing a burnout leaving his name) and a bunch of guys from HSN in Chappel Hill.

Aggie, you were in Rosehill yesterday? Hey, thats were I live. Maybe we can hook up next time.

We'll have to do that. Casey is just getting his feet wet with riding, so I imagine he'll be riding around that area quite a bit. When I still lived at home and was commuting back and forth from Tomball College, I would take the bike through Rosehill a few times a week just to practice riding on the lightly congested roads (compared to 249). I'd turn off 249 and head up the road that goes by Spring Creek park and eventually make my way over to 2920. Then I'd got up to Cypress-Rosehill and take that to Grant road. Once on Grant, I'd turn left onto Kitzman to practice the nice sweeping curves before I got back to Telge. From there I'd either loop back around and do Kitzman again or I'd just head up Grant back to my parent's house. We went that way yesterday so Casey could see some good places to practice that are close to home. He's wanting to stay away from the major roads and highway speeds for now. I can't say I blame him with Houston traffic. I'll be back in Houston on the bike sometime in February I'd imagine, but if I come sooner I'll have to drop you a line. Now that I have running bike at my parent's house, it doesn't matter if I come to Houston in my truck. I can still go for a ride when I get there. :-D

Desmo said:
Yes, very nice ride yesterday. Probably a little too "spirited" for a newbie though.

Are you referring to the accellerating so hard that you wheelied your Duc?

I thought the pace was great. Next time, I will have to quit being lazy and lead a little ways. I was just sitting back enjoying the sight of you guys taking the corners and the scenery.

Once again, it was a great day.

Back