• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Inexpensive motorcycle lift

I built the 2x6 one. Two 2x6 lag bolted together and a third across one end, and a 2 inch pipe into a flange on one side. It tilted the S40 up high enough and was sturdy enough to take the shocks off and replace them. And with another 1 inch piece on one side it would be high enough even with the taller shocks to take the tires off and change them. Total cost under $30. Cut three pieces 2x6 or 2x8 to 3 foot length, and put two side by side and the third across the end. Attach flange and then screw in the pipe. And up the bike pops, and its cheap and the boards can be used for swings if I ever give up on the bike.
;-)
Not my original idea. Have seen it on a couple of other boards. The boards only need enough to raise raise your bike. If you need to steady it upright, use tie downs to bolts in the end of the board, to the seat frame or wherever.
Bill in SJT

I have one of the harbor freight ones and it works good.
the only gripe I have is the front wheel clamp is very cheesy and will NOT hold the bike steady enough while you raise it up.
I generally put my pitbull stand on the back and use a couple tie downs on the bars while rasing, then take them off when it get it to working height.

If you bike has a center stand, you can use that as well to hold it up.
I raise the Futura on mine with no problem, it takes about 60 pumps to get the platform to max altitude, but it only takes a minute or so to do that.

If you do get one, BRING HELP to unload it. To be safe, I would try to get at least 2 other folks to help unload it out of a truck. Shipping weight is like almost 400 pounds, so be careful if you do get one.

Sears Craftsman lift is about $90. it does a good job for what i use it for.YMMV

ken

Someone buy one of these and tell me what you think:

r6_on_table.jpg

New Enough Hard Parts

This is a lift made by a Harley guy. Lots can be done to it if you do frequent repairs needing the bike off the ground. I only needed it to change shocks. If I were doing lots of stuff (like changing tires after wild rides in the SHSF, etc) I would add carpet for under the frame, and eye hooks at the ends to put tie downs into. But three pieces of 2x6 and 2in pipe and flange worked for me. On lighter bikes you wouldn't even need the heavier pipe. I didn't sink mine all the way thru the board, just used decking screws to hold it on the side that was to flip over. Worked like a charm. Heavier and bigger than the Bulldog and others, but also 1/4 to 1/2 the cost, and used mostly materials at hand (I just redid floor in bike trailer and had 3 foot lengths of 2x6 left over).
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/bikelift.htm
Depending on the weight of the bike will depend on how much you put together. And the wood can be used for swings or whatever once you decide not to do repairs yourself.
Bill

Back