• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Motorcycle jackets for kids?

Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Hey guys, I take my 5yo daughter to school every day on my bike. It's less than a mile, around the corner on 35mph roads. She can reach the passenger pegs and I also harness her to me so she can't slide off and I ride with care. She's got a full-face helmet and gloves, and was just wearing a winter coat and a snow bib while it was cold outside.

Well, now that we are approaching the warmer months I was looking into getting her a mesh jacket. I've done a few Google searches and it doesn't look anyone makes these. The only kids bike jacket I can find is a couple leather ones on jafrum.com...

Am I the only one who rides with a little one?

Cycle gear carries motorcycle jackets for kids, my daughters started riding when they where 7 and we found jackets of the correct size for them, 5 is a bit small so I don't know if you will find anything, but definitely worth a look. Cycle gear in Austin were happy to order a jacket that they didn't have in stock so you can try it and then buy it (or not if it didn't fit).

Gary

Thanks for the input. I was actually just in Cycle Gear yesterday and didn't see anything for kids... But then again, I didn't ask any of the staff either.

For the record, she is a very tall kid for her age and can sometimes wear some of her cousin's clothes from when she was 7. So, even if I had to buy her something a little big, she could grow into it...

I just started taking my 7 yr old daughter out on the road. To school and home from piano mostly. 3 to 5 miles per trip.

I went to motorcycleclosouts.com and bought youth MX gear. I ordered a roost deflector, elbow/knee pads, and pants. The pants feel as strong as my Tourmaster 600 denier pants.

I was going to get the Tourmaster Youth Jett jacket, but couldn't justify the $120 for something she will outgrow so quickly.

The roost deflector is a bit big on her, but not horrible. The rest fit very well. Throw a jacket over the deflector, put on her leather work gloves (hardware store), youth helmet I got on sale a few months ago, and her cowgirl boots, and she is good to go. Not including the cowgirl boots, I believe I spent $130 total.

Its not the fastest gear to get on and off, but some time wasting inconvenience is worth it. She doesn't mind the extra time one bit either as long as she gets to ride.

I figure by the time she is 10 I should be able to get her an armored women's XS jacket which can be found on closeout sales for $40 and my son will fit the deflector by then. The knee pads should fit both of them for a long time, and the previous year MX pants are always on sale.

Back