• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Alpinestars Scout waterproof boots

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
Alpinestars released the Scout waterproof boot around Oct 2009 for the dual sport market. My current set of boots are worn out, so I purchased a set of the Scout boots, sight unseen, and knowing very little about them. I couldn't find many reviews of them on the net, but I've had good experience with Alpinestars boots in the past so I thought I would give them a try.

Here are my initial impressions of this boot and how it compares to other mc boots I own.

The features of this boot include:
* Made with PU coated leather for durability and abrasion resistance
* 100% Waterproof performance membrane construction
* Outer and inner ankle protection is given by innovative, double injected, TPU section with different Durometer (hardness) values and thicknesses to allow protection and flexibility all in one section
* Internal shin reinforcement layered under the leather
* Mesh liner for comfort and breathability
* Removable PE padded foot bed provides shock absorption and impact protection
* Stitched sole is of a unique rubber compound for exceptional grip and durability
* Three-buckles closure with micro-adjustable memory system
* Velcro® pull flap for adjustable closure
* Scout WP boot is CE certified

I shot some pics of the Scout boot next to my old pair of Joe Rocket boots and a pair of Alpinestars Tech 6 motorcross boots.

In all these pictures, the Joe Rocket boots are on the left, the Scout boot is in the center, and the Tech 6 motocross boot is on the right.

The Scout is taller than my old dual sport boots, but not as tall as the mx boots.
787280181_GHXL3-L.jpg

787280316_MWTaU-L.jpg

787280451_282AJ-L.jpg

The scout boot has a lug sole. Very important, IMO, for traction off the bike. Smooth sole boots provide little traction when walking on wet dirt, inclines, etc. Also, note the difference in sole length. All three boots are size 11 and they all seem to fit my foot okay, so I speculate that the differences in sole length is due to differences in thickness of the leather in the foot area.
787280570_4yxYF-L.jpg

The Scout boot is somewhat thicker and heavier than the Joe Rocket boot, but not near as thick or heavy as the Tech 6. The Scout is much stiffer than the Joe Rocket boot. The Joe Rocket boot was never very stiff, even new. The Scout boot feels much more like a mx boot - not flexible in the ankle, making walking difficulty, but providing protection against excessive ankle rotation in the event of a crash. It will be interesting to find out if they become easier to walk in after they break in.
787281006_JCUNF-L.jpg

The Scout boot has 3 buckles, like a mx boot, and a velcro section at the very top of the boot. The buckles don't appear to be as stout as those on the mx boot, but they don't appear to be fragile either.
787280690_cVXXP-L.jpg

Extra leather appears to have been sewn on the top of the boot.
787281166_Y8S4c-L.jpg

I was just barely able to get my jeans over the boots. I'm wearing Levi 505s, which I think are boot cut. It took about several minutes of effort to get the bottom of the pants leg over the top of the boot. The tightest fit is the bottom of the pant vs the top of the boot. The rest of the pant leg fits okay over the boot.
787576807_oAdY6-L.jpg

787577026_a4A2s-L.jpg

I'll update this post after I get some riding time with the Scout boots.

Last edited:
The Scouts are top on my list for replacing my worn-out street boots, but I'm concerned about how warm they will be (are) in TX heat. I assume that the leather and waterproof lining do not allow any airflow... At the other end of the spectrum are vented Sidi street or race boots, but they may have less protection and no DS features.

How sweaty are your feet when taking these off after a 30-minute commute or all day ride?

TIA,
Tom

Back