• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

dirt gear advice

JasonJ

Reaction score
pressure suit or chest protector with elbow/knee guards?

looking at this http://www.highvelocitygear.com/ADVRiderBodyArmorGB.html , even though its mesh i'm wondering just how warm its going to be in the texas summer. Would likely throw a loose fitting white bycycle shirt over the top of it. just have to add knee guards.

alternatively, chest protectors look less hot http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navTitle=Apparel-MX+Gear+Men%27s&webCatId=1&navType=type&webTypeId=37&prodFamilyId=19150&listingId=&sizeAttr=4549&colorAttr= but then i am messing with elbow/knee guards as well.

What are you guys using??

if you dont crash you won't need elbow pads.:mrgreen:

Pressure suit is too hot for MX. Roll with roost deflector and knee pads(better yet just get knee braces).

I thought about pressure suit for adventure riding...but thats it. The guys on Nitro Circus wear pressure suits but only cause they intend on crashing hard.

Im very happy with one of these, Acerbis Koerta
0000_Acerbis_Koerta_Naked_Roost_Deflector_Black_Yellow.jpg

0000_Acerbis_Koerta_Naked_Roost_Deflector_Black_Yellow_633730607738953518.jpg

I knew the traditional pressure suits would be too hot for me, this gets hot too when you're not moving. I don't see how any full chest and back pads could be better ventilated, though. Elbow and knee pads as well are the required minimum for me.

hows the sizing on that JT? i am 6'3" and 250ish pounds, that acerbis looks perfect except i wonder if it wouldnt end up looking like a man bra on me :lol2:

Im very happy with one of these, Acerbis Koerta
0000_Acerbis_Koerta_Naked_Roost_Deflector_Black_Yellow.jpg

0000_Acerbis_Koerta_Naked_Roost_Deflector_Black_Yellow_633730607738953518.jpg

I knew the traditional pressure suits would be too hot for me, this gets hot too when you're not moving. I don't see how any full chest and back pads could be better ventilated, though. Elbow and knee pads as well are the required minimum for me.

I'm 5'11" 190 and the L/XL fits me with a little room to spare, I don't know if it would be enough though. Come to Billy's Thursday for the lunch meeting, I'll bring it and you can try it on.

Pressure suits are too hot, the hard chest protector doesn't get hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For what it's worth, the High Velocity Armor is excellent in every respect.

It is hotter than a chest protector and elbow pads, but, the convenience and protection is very nice.

In addition it is CE2/3 rated and has a warranty.

I run a chest protector and elbow pads on hotter days, but 99% of other rides, the pressure suit is what I use.

It's less bulky and the fit for a guy my size 6'2 230 lbs is comfortable all the way around.

pressure suit or chest protector with elbow/knee guards?

looking at this http://www.highvelocitygear.com/ADVRiderBodyArmorGB.html , even though its mesh i'm wondering just how warm its going to be in the texas summer. Would likely throw a loose fitting white bycycle shirt over the top of it. just have to add knee guards.

alternatively, chest protectors look less hot http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navTitle=Apparel-MX+Gear+Men%27s&webCatId=1&navType=type&webTypeId=37&prodFamilyId=19150&listingId=&sizeAttr=4549&colorAttr= but then i am messing with elbow/knee guards as well.

What are you guys using??

Just ordered the Juggernaut and even though that $119 price was supposedly a 1 week price, it went through at that price. That suit looks a little confining but it looks like it means business. I want all the protection I can get.

the thing I like about the pressure suits, is the pads stay put and don't move around.
Once you get use to it you, don't even know its there.
The built in kidney belt is great too.

I'm with Poser on this one, I use to use a chest protector and elbow pads, and it seemed every spill the elbow pads would move and not protect my elbows. I bought a pressure suit 5 years ago and it has never moved in a crash, has protected me well and I really don't notice it after a few minutes!! It is difficult to get out of at the end of the day (My Hot and sweaty body seems to glue itself to the mesh, making it difficult to slide my arms out, but the peace of mind is more than worth it!!).
Any protection is better than none, but I prefer my pressure suit over the roost protectors (If you are going to be wearing it for more than 15 minutes) otherwise if it's something you keep taking off and putting on every 15 minutes go for a roost protector as it's much easier.

Gary

Glad to see some agreement on my decision on the pressure suit.

Now, on to boots, helmet, and leg protection. I am looking to get maximum protection without purchasing something just because it is the most expensive. Any good advice on those other protection items? I intend to by some motocross boots and want the best ankle protection I can afford but my gosh there is an absolute plethora of choices. I have searched this forum and there appears to be many answers to these questions but what the heck, might as well rehash it. :yawn:

Don't be affraid to buy used boots. If you've never worn them they take some getting use to, but once you do you won't like riding with out the
I have some knee/shin guards. The shin guards tuck into the boot.

For a helmet. Find one you like the way it fits and go for it. You don't have to spend a ton. Get some goggles for sure.

Check the clearance section on websites for good deals

My suggestion is Sidi boots. Expensive but protection is worth it. Very good quality, long lasting. I got away from Sidi and tried Alpinestars and MSR boots for 15 years. They were cheaper and I was on a limited budget. But I had to replace them too often. I have returned and will never stray again. Somethings have to be learned the hard way.
I have started wearing Klim pants. The same things as Sidi's can be said about Klim. The quality is #1. I have a pair of Thor full summer vented for summer DS riding & my off road racing. Not as much protection as the Klim but much cooler. For DS road riding both of us wear Olympia gear. Again the quality is obvious. It can be had at LSBMW. But you will find that out Friday morning. :-P

I just have a question... when you say "dirt" do you mean real off road or TX style dual sport?

I have the six six one pressure suit just collecting dust. Its too hot. Regular ole roost guard...no elbow pads. works for me.

For Summer riding......chest protector. For Winter.....Pressure. I don't have a pressure. I am thinking of one but like dieselndixie said......it may just collect dust.....too hot.

Back