• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hello from Houston

An8

Reaction score
Hey all, I’m new to the forum. I’m getting back into riding motorcycles regularly after a hiatus and thought it’d be good to join. I used to daily street bikes before getting in a bad accident. I’m looking to get a dual sport now cause I’ve always wanted one, and I hope to be hitting the trails soon!

Welcome to the site! Yes ... what part of Houston? There are some good groups that meet up every week around different parts.

I’m leaning towards a DRZ since it seems like it’s a good all-around choice but I’m not ruling anything out. I may have to go with something a little lighter though, I’d like to be able to transport it on a hitch mount carrier and the drz is close to the max tongue weight

Welcome aboard. Great group of folks here and a lot of really good information.

Welcome to the site, plenty of dirt riders around.

The crowd on the NW side meets up on Tuesdays at 7. Generally around the 290/SpringCypress area but it varies. Watch the end of this thread and it'll get updated usually by Monday
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116239

We talk a lot of racing but there's dirt, street, and adventure riders too.

I’m leaning towards a DRZ since it seems like it’s a good all-around choice but I’m not ruling anything out.

Welcome to the site.

The DRZ is a great bike (I’ve owned one) with the exception of the 5 speed transmission, which leads to having to ring it’s neck if you’re covering any distance...

I’m leaning towards a DRZ since it seems like it’s a good all-around choice but I’m not ruling anything out. I may have to go with something a little lighter though, I’d like to be able to transport it on a hitch mount carrier and the drz is close to the max tongue weight

Welcome to the site.

The DRZ is a great bike (I’ve owned one) with the exception of the 5 speed transmission, which leads to having to ring it’s neck if you’re covering any distance...

I also had a DRZ, that looked a lot like Rogers. (it was Rogers! :-)) I loved that bike, suspension was great, it was a great starter dual sport bike. I'm a big guy and the one thing that made me sell it was the lack of HP/Torque. When it tapped out on a few Dual Sport rides, I knew I was going to need something else.

May be you can find someone like I did, who is selling a DRZ, that will let you take it for a ride. If you're just getting into dual sport, it will give you years of experiences. I had a KLR as well and found the DRZ much more capable. I sold it for about $300 less than I paid for it.

I do have a Joe Hauler, rated at 500lbs that would handle the DRZ just fine, but probably not the KLR.

Hopefully so! Are the 6sp 250cc bikes like the crf and wrr better at freeway speeds or is stepping up to a 650 the way to go for freeway? I don’t think I’ll be doing much freeway riding but it wouldn’t hurt to be able to if needed.

Awesome, I’ll have to check it out when I find a bike

You don't need to worry about finding a bike first. Half of the time we drive. :-P

Back