• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

How not to ride the Tail of the Dragon

I look at riding roads like that the same way I was taught emergency medical interventions: "Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast."

The dragon is on my bucket list so I can't speak to the road but this dude was out of control. I agree with all posted above. One thing I noticed that is a concern of mine if I ever go down is the face shield coming off, especially when he was tangled up in tree branches, could have been very bad for the eyes.

One thing I noticed that is a concern of mine if I ever go down is the face shield coming off, especially when he was tangled up in tree branches, could have been very bad for the eyes.

Here's a video just for you...it's not for those who can't handle the sight of blood.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ImuTpUYa-4

I call that the "Paparazzi Effect." :lol2:

Even (especially?) when you are your own Paparazzi. :eek2:

The trick is to wear your camera so often that you forget it is there.

He is from South Florida?
he had Justin Bieber playing on the ear buds?

I find the dragon is a lot more fun late at night when the only people you might find out there are a couple locals who really know the road.

also those hills are full of other roads like 441 (it has a real live cork screw!) 73, 215, 276, and 281, plus the Cherohala and blue ridge.

I read some of these posts, and thought, "come on...how bad could it be?" Then I went and watched the video and it made me cringe over and over. I too only made it thru about 3 1/2 min, but some of those turns at the 2+ min mark are just so soooo bad. The dude should have paid more attention following the cruzers...they were taking the turns much better than he was.

Case where his right hand outran his skilz.

I rode the dragon three times and although one of those "just to say I done it" roads, I have to agree there are tons of better and more challenging roads in that part of the country.

I'm guessing he's young, it's his first bike, it's his first time on the Dragon, and he had a major case of cockiness. I'm just glad no one else was hurt.

The Dragon is full of cockyness and the camera seems to draw that out in some riders. One of my favorite cocky photo series from the past...

94851892-L.jpg

94851866-L.jpg

94851879-L.jpg

Last edited:
I agree that it is one of those ride it for the check mark roads. I rode there with a small group several years ago on a self limiting bike. My trusty low power knobby tired KLR. With not enough power or brake to blitz it forced a smooth approach to the curves. On my third pass I admit that I pushed the old pack mule a bit and slipped some tires here and there. A few riders on "faster" bikes held me up in the curves then ran off on the straights by riding like this guy. I can't access it from my phone, but somewhere there is a pic of me tailing a Ninja 600 past the photographer three corners before passing him. It is funny to see the sportbike leaned over with the KLR on his rear tire leaned over just a bit more.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Cruising the hill country today I find it hard to dredge up much concern for anything. Heck, due to last minute complications my internal gyros tumbled and I thought today was Saturday. I like times like this.

But if I were to worry about anything at all on my bike today, I'd keep in mind that my wonderful little two wheeled ship will do far more than I feel comfortable asking of it, as long as I mind my manners and speak the language she knows. Weight and rider position, counter steering input, and smooth transitions. Muster grace under pressure and more good things will come your way, not to mention less trauma to roadside trees.

On walkabout, somewhere around Granbury - but that's subject to change. It's a dynamic situation I must face with resolve, commitment, and my GPS safely "off" for the moment.

Happy Fourth, all. Cherish freedom and those who defend it.

Back