• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Rider in Clear Lake

zuhl

Reaction score
Hi to all! I just started riding and found this sight to join and get info. Due to my lack of all common sense I got for my first bike a Buell XB-12X. This thing is a monster and the amount of power terrifies me. However, I am being very carefull now, and have found that I am more afraid of traffic than I am the bike. The rider safety course was invaluable information to have before starting to ride. I had my heart set on a Kawasaki Versys, but this bike came along (with hard cases) for a better price and only 5K miles, so I could not pass it up. It is fun so far. Hope to post some pics soon and meet some folks here.

Welcome and congrats on becoming a rider.

Right now is about the worst time for a new rider to try tackling street traffic. Signals are still out everywhere but some are functioning so it is very hazardous crossing intersections. There are more and more MVAs as folks start returning to work and school. It's bad enough that I suggest staying off the streets for another week until most of the traffic signals go back into operation and things settle a bit. If you can get over to an unused parking lot to do some practice, do that but traffic is pretty crazy right now.

There is also a higher potential for unexpected road hazards as waste removal trucks start hauling all the storm debris away but some of it inevitably falls onto the road.

Again, welcome and please be very, very careful out there. It's a mess.

Welcome to the site! :wave:

Dukey is right, things are a bit messy right now. Most of our streets have piles of branches laying out in the street from all the tree trimming that has been going on lately. These piles really interfere with visibility, both for seeing and being seen :wary:

Congrats on the bike though!

howdy-1.gif

Thanks to all for the great welcome. I did take the MSF course before I ever even sat on a bike. I wanted to make sure I was not going in to this blind. The course should be required by law to get the license. The written test at the DPS was a joke.

I definitely hear you guys about the traffic situation. People have gotten exponentially more ridiculous on the road. I am riding, but out toward Santa Fe and Alvin on country roads for fun and practice. I like those where I can cruise at 50-60mph and not worry about someone riding my behind trying to run over me. I probably wont try to take it in to work for a while and even then I plan on leaving early to avoid the heavy traffic. That make me more nervous than anything. It is eyeopening how bad people drive when you see it from an unprotected perch like a motorcycle.

howdy from the east side of league city! :rider: :rider: :rider:

Back