• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

dirt tires on dual sport ?

Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Muxworthy
Looking for advice on using a dirt tire on my XR650L. Anyone have an opinion / advice ? I was thinking of trying an aggressive knobby type (shinko) just for kicks. I've worn through a few pair of D606$ & wanted to try something different but I'm skeered of the "not for highway use" stamped on the sidewall. I usually do about 80/20 dirt roads to street.
Thanks in advance. ??

are you worried about inspections or safety? As for inspections, if you are worried about the not for highway use or whatever, just file or dremel off the lettering (GINGERLY). If safety is your concern, I would say that is a personal call. I did both for awhile on the drz til I wore out the offroad tires with no issues. My experience with bike inspections has been they dont really care as long as it appears to meet the minimum requirements.

I would however remember that they are offroad tires and probably limit radically excessive speed especially in the twisties and wet pavement.

Last edited:
Uuhhhh ???? A razor blade makes quick and neat work for taking off those letters. Disclaimer : I haven't done that myself but that's what a reliable source told me .

Signatures? We don't need no stinking signatures!

Not worry about the highway use thing. Whatever tire you pick will be gone before your next inspection.

I'm currently running the IRC M5b. Super gnarly tire. Here's why---
IMG_20160203_232922666_zpstgeek2ou.jpg

I ride street, and soft dirt. Think sand, mud, etc.the soft terrain tire is a harder rubber compound, so it'll last a bit longer on the 'phalt.

Additionally, the knobs are like, 3/4" tall. More tread= longer tire life.

Sedona MX907HP---- cheap. Wears fast. 1000miles
D606--- 1500 +/- miles, $$$
Artrax se3---- total junk
Mich t63---- 1000 miles, decent grip on/off road.

I use a regular dunlop 755 front tire. East to change, good grip.

The m5b and d755 combo is friggin unbeatable off road. Don't get too crazy on the street.

Here's the Artrax after 2 trips to the dirt, and 150 street miles.
IMG_20160203_223654001_zpshcnmnbsv.jpg

Last edited:
Throw the Kenda Trackmaster II into the mix. Looks like an offroad tire, but DOT. Fairly inexpensive too.

I put a set of tkc80's on my drz 12 months ago. So far, i like the performance. the front is still at about 75% and the rear is about gone at 3k miles. Probably 90% of the miles have been street. I like them but gonna try something different. Putting fresh shoes on her for the mexico trip in april. tkc80 on front and k60 scout on rear. Just to see how it works.

I told ya that thing was big. You had it in the dirt yet?

Yes I have!

It's like a plow!!! I've never ridden on a tire that hooks this well. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow of this trench I dug with it going up this steep hill. I got to the top, looked back, and just laughed at the rut it left.

Throw the Kenda Trackmaster II into the mix. Looks like an offroad tire, but DOT. Fairly inexpensive too.

DON'T throw Michelin Deserts into the mix - not inexpensive! Rear's abt 2/3 gone with ~1000mi on it, front's good for another couple thousand, at least.

Thanks for the info on tire brands & experience. Not worried about inspection, just about any unforeseen tire failure issues. Sounds like there are no real issues for me.
I have a pair of cheap shinkos I'll put on today & see how fast I can wear them down.

Back