• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Arai Pro Shade?

Swagfu

Reaction score
Anyone using the Arai Pro Shade system? I watched some videos and read a bunch of reviews, but was curious to any pitfalls to the system.

I'm curious as well, about to drop some $$ on a new Arai and was looking at these.

I have an Arai helmet but do not use the pro shade system. I looked into it, but instead just decided to buy a tinted shield. If you carry around some equipment with you wherever you're traveling, could you not just carry a clear one when it gets darker?

I have an Arai helmet but do not use the pro shade system. I looked into it, but instead just decided to buy a tinted shield. If you carry around some equipment with you wherever you're traveling, could you not just carry a clear one when it gets darker?

The thinking is to carry less. I don't ride a bunch at night so right now I just use a clear shield and sunglasses. I was thinking the Pro Shade would eliminate the need for the glasses.

The thinking is to carry less. I don't ride a bunch at night so right now I just use a clear shield and sunglasses. I was thinking the Pro Shade would eliminate the need for the glasses.
Probably, if it's worth the money to you. As well, when it's up, it functions like a peak on a dirt helmet.

....so right now I just use a clear shield and sunglasses. I was thinking the Pro Shade would eliminate the need for the glasses.

The video I saw from revzilla says the pro shade leaks sunlight at the sides, due to the short angle cutout on the sides. If so, then your sunglasses may do a better job over the pro shade, provided yours is a full wraparound.
But I agree, carrying an extra visor is a debbie downer. Less is more.

But I agree, carrying an extra visor is a debbie downer. Less is more.

Bah, I can carry an extra visor, and yours too. And his visor, and his visor and her visor and that guy over there...his visor too!

:rofl:

2012-08-16104022.jpg

And Arai shield changing systems are so fast and easy too.

Unless you have the dual sport helmet, in which case you have to remove screws to swap visors. It is a real pain. A transition visor would be nice.

I like the Arai Pro Shade. It doesn't fog, and you can carry 3 flat things and have 3 shields. Works great, simple, I don't get light leaks, I am using it on an Arai Defiant. YMMV

I have an Arai Pro Shade on a Signet-Q and I like it a lot.

No noise, very stable, easy to flip up and down. Only downside is the coverage is not total, but it's a great system if you want a pinlock, clear shield for winter nights and the ability to drop some shade in the day time.

If you have an Arai helmet, do it.

It wouldn't push into buying an Arai if I didn't already have an Arai, but if it is a worthy upgrade. If I knew I was going to buy a Signet-Q or other Arai that used the Pro Shade, I would buy the new "touring" Arai that comes with the Pro Shade and the bigger ear pockets and liner from the factory that they just started offering.

Good Luck.

I have the Pro Shade system on a RX-Q helmet. I think I like it but sometimes the back reflection is very annoying. Once your mind get past it though it is livable. It beats having several shields on board. I also noticed that in certain conditions the turbulence will push it down. I haven't figured that out yet but riding naked it is pretty good. It is a little odd to not have full shading though. It works and I think worth the money. Good luck.

Back