• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Africa Twin debut?

Exactly !!!

If there was more hard core dirt near us in Texas I would get the KTM 500 EXC as well, but honestly for now the AT is all I need.

Glock Pointer`s new bike :clap: I cant believe someone younger than me cannot post pics :giveup:

imagejpeg_0_zpsqzwnh2io.jpg

So I've been wondering. What's the consensus? I have been smitten with the AT since I read about it. But like all things I was excited by the KTM's S10's whatever when new.

I'm looking to replace the GS, Wee and DRZ. I want a packa mule like the GS, a commuter like the Wee, and just a sprig of the DRZ hooligan. It's not a dirt bike but I expect it will do better than the GS or Wee.

Best of all Kitted out under 20K. All the big boys I end up mid 20'S.

No complaints here either live to ride.
CHEERS

Ya'll making me envious. I picked up a 2011 BMW GSA again in Feb or so, since Honda had no idea when ATs would actually come to the USA. They lost a sale, but guess what, I really love the newer GSA, even more than my rock solid 2007 model. No lust for the water head even, boy am I lucky for that. Maybe I'll be ready for a used AT in a couple years :-) Now to find time this fall for a decent run out to AZ 191 or AR.

C'mon up to the Wilderness Rider Ranch in NW ARkysaw Boulder Ed. We can take my new Twin & your new GS out on the twisties, and run some nice county gravel roads as well.
You can try out the Twin to see if it feels like a bike you would want to ride. So far I have around 7500 miles, and 7 states ridden on mine. It has performed flawlessly! I'm havng a group of Texas riders up on the weekend of Sept 17 & 18. Come join us!

Thanks for the invite Donny. I'd love to come up sometime and ride with you. I'm having eye surgery next week so am gonna be down for a bit. Trying to get em both fixed up a couple weeks between the two, so I can get out around end of October for a long ride...

You always have a rain check. Hope everything is smooth on your operation & recovery.

The AT is very cool, no doubt. If I needed to replace my 950 today, I would be looking directly at the AT for the equivalent replacement. I like that they raced it stock.

However, Honda making a big splash about "Hey look we raced this bike" is sort of silly. KTM 950's have raced and finished the Baja 1000, they have raced the Ertzberg Prologue (back when they had a class for big bikes), and they are still being raced today by a few crazy enthusiasts. The same can be said for BMW and Yamaha Adventure bikes.

Honda footed the entire bill for their race, and gave a rider spot to a CN moto-journalist, basically to get a write up in Cycle News. It was a full on Factory Effort just to get a story. Sorry, I say big deal, even though I love the bike.

I for one am glad you posted it, I can't think of many times where watching anybody racing is not enjoyable.

Had to share. You know it is a good day when the FedEx truck and the ups truck stops at your house at the same time to deliver fun new toys for the twin...

My new set of SW-Motech adventure trex and quick connect panniers arrived as well as new gloves and some tires...

One problem the TKC 80 for the rear is the wrong size. I need an 18", the label said 18", but the tire is only 17". I had already removed the Pirelli tires so I had to remount the rear, what a PIA the rear is.

By the way, the Tubliss system looked great when I removed the tire, been rock solid so,far.

image_zpsihtoty8v.jpg

The discounting has already started. Cycle Shack North had two AT's on the floor last weekend, one of each color. Maybe more in the back still crated? $1,000 off is not too shabby.

_

Attachments

• Microsoft Word - AT_sale.pdf
    682.7 KB · Views: 219
Oh no.You mean its not a GS killer after all? Dang, who would have thought. Where's their marketing? There's only a handful of folks that woul dhave bought an AT vs. a KTM if they needed more off road capability. More agressive marketing alone might have helped save face. That said I may have been oneof them if they could have released the bike within 2 years of product announcement. I gave up waiting. They will be selling them for 3k off list for a year or two old new stock if they dont get going on it... remember the Tenere discounts?

I still think Teneres are probably great touring bikes but only 2 people I know own them (and both bought them at great discounts and love them after a bit of FI tuning). Ok sooner or later I will sell my 2011 GSA and grab an AT just because I want to try one, and my all time favorite bike is still an ST1100. Heck, I even tried a Moto Guzzi Stelvio, which was one of the funnest bikes I ever rode when it ran.

Sure. anyone that has ridden an AT vs. Tenure should be grinning
from ear-to-ear.

haven't rode the Yamaha Tenure AND there one heck of a bike within reason stock or modified. from what i have seen personally put through either rider merits and bike merits on demand given them.

Spent a good amount of time testing mine throughout the N.W. portions of AR in 2016 and have come to this.. simple and most.. enjoyable bike to flick around all those G1 twisty roads to date without a wimpier the pucker factor was predictable (stock tires) and in the ball park you might say. Off again on again dirt roads were another story ..Overall best i could tell lol IMHO the Honda felt like you were riding a cloud inside a pocket of gravity that felt good in respect to Geometric weight to mass body bike in portion to how i felt riding twisting the throttle under near perfect asphalt roads and weather conditions and cool temps.

Roads certainly did adore the Honda as promised!

One more thing Wilderness Rider does know thing or two about these roads.

AWESOME RIDE and HOST alot of fun and adventure going to Mt. Mag and back to the ranch one evening for sure, memories last, and would return there pigtrail all over this area would most assuredly test any road worthy YAMAHA or HONDA imho.

Way cool looking setup. What a great invention. All I can think of when I try to comprehend patching so many holes at once is slow leaks, but it must work quite reliably or they would not be selling it due to the liability risk.

By the way, the Tubliss system looked great when I removed the tire, been rock solid so,far.

image_zpsihtoty8v.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Sure. anyone that has ridden an AT vs. Tenure should be grinning
from ear-to-ear.

haven't rode the Yamaha Tenure AND there one heck of a bike within reason stock or modified. from what i have seen personally put through either rider merits and bike merits on demand given them.

Spent a good amount of time testing mine throughout the N.W. portions of AR in 2016 and have come to this.. simple and most.. enjoyable bike to flick around all those G1 twisty roads to date without a wimpier the pucker factor was predictable (stock tires) and in the ball park you might say. Off again on again dirt roads were another story ..Overall best i could tell lol IMHO the Honda felt like you were riding a cloud inside a pocket of gravity that felt good in respect to Geometric weight to mass body bike in portion to how i felt riding twisting the throttle under near perfect asphalt roads and weather conditions and cool temps.

Roads certainly did adore the Honda as promised!

One more thing Wilderness Rider does know thing or two about these roads.

AWESOME RIDE and HOST alot of fun and adventure going to Mt. Mag and back to the ranch one evening for sure, memories last, and would return there pigtrail all over this area would most assuredly test any road worthy YAMAHA or HONDA imho.

??

Oh no.You mean its not a GS killer after all? Dang, who would have thought. Where's their marketing? There's only a handful of folks that woul dhave bought an AT vs. a KTM if they needed more off road capability. More agressive marketing alone might have helped save face. That said I may have been oneof them if they could have released the bike within 2 years of product announcement. I gave up waiting. They will be selling them for 3k off list for a year or two old new stock if they dont get going on it... remember the Tenere discounts?

I still think Teneres are probably great touring bikes but only 2 people I know own them (and both bought them at great discounts and love them after a bit of FI tuning). Ok sooner or later I will sell my 2011 GSA and grab an AT just because I want to try one, and my all time favorite bike is still an ST1100. Heck, I even tried a Moto Guzzi Stelvio, which was one of the funnest bikes I ever rode when it ran.

The Tenere is like that.....
&....It always runs

Hey Ed

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk
Folks.... I was only makin an observation about the Stelvio & the Tenere here....

The Africa Twin & Tenere are two bikes aimed in (?!slightly) differing directions.

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

Back