Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > Upcoming Ride/Trips

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 06-06-2018, 06:06 PM   #61
misterk
Forum Supporter

Riding NM and CO May 31 - June 10

Made It to camp Hilton.

The Africa twin dct really proved to be most enjoyable today carving poudre canyon.

In 75 miles I past 3 cars, I think I touched my brakes one time. I was having so much fun I didn’t stop to take a pee or a pic

I put the dct in s3, used the motor to slow me down at the 25mph corners. I stood probably 1/2 the way. It was like me and the twin were dancing.

About 15 miles from Fort Collins I hit this

They were resealing about 5 miles of road. About a 15 minute wait, nice by the river.

No hammock tonight

Not much to update tomorrow, I have 3 meetings, so it will be city stuff, unless I sneak in mount Evans.

Last edited by misterk; 06-06-2018 at 06:07 PM.
misterk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:36 PM   #62
misterk
Forum Supporter

Re: Riding NM and CO May 31 - June 10

Friday:

Currently at Trinidad at my favorite place “Bela Luna Pizza”.

260 smiles so far, will stop in Amarillo tonight.

Had some drama, I was on Jackson creek dirt road I hit south of Littleton co.

Came to a fork in the road. The way straight was nice smooth wide dirt.

The road to the right was skinny, sandy, gravely and bumpy.

My gps said go straight, but a sign on the little road said woodland park 23 miles. So I went to the right.

About 5 miles in, down the overloaded bike went.

Crappy internet more to follow...
Old 06-11-2018, 10:29 AM   #63
misterk
Forum Supporter

Riding NM and CO May 31 - June 10

Made it home Saturday around 6.

Here is the overall route, very nice:

The red is where I went down, on the trail north of Woodland Park

So I am on Jackson Creek Road, my gps says to go south another 1/2 mile or so, but there is a skinny trail on the right, it has a sign that says Woodland Park 23 miles. I assume my GPS is wrong (nope I was wrong following the sign). Within a half mile I knew this was not the road.

I hit some loose sand and gravel. The thing I leaned on this trip. Never, Never, Never bring my Givi top case for offroad riding. Normally, when the bike starts leaning I can power out of the tilt. However, I was so top heavy, once it starts leaning physics take over!! annnnnnnd Boom, down I went.

I bumped my knee so I could not put much weight on it for about 2 hours. I could not lift the bike, so I hit my spot help button. I didnt want a tow out, I just wanted someone to come get my luggage and haul it down for me.

I waited about 30 minutes. Suddenly a group of 4 wheelers came down the trail. They were happy to carry my luggage. That was one good decision I made. Within a half mile, the trail turned to total crap due to the four wheeler activity. There was no way I could made it through fully loaded.

The total ride was about 7 miles, it was a blast on the neked twin. The bike handles like a 450, absolutely rock solid through the crap not a single issue. I think the reason I knew I could do fine without the luggage was from my expereience on Ophir pass on Monday.

See that little white road, that was the correct road. Super easy dirt...

Last edited by misterk; 06-11-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:36 AM   #64
misterk
Forum Supporter

The main road (I think it was Jackson creek rd)

Recurring theme for the pack mule

Blue is road where I should have been

Lean and mean,

Old 06-11-2018, 10:47 AM   #65
misterk
Forum Supporter

Woodland park I took 24 to 67

From Canon city I took 115 to 67 at Florence (I hate hwy 50 to Pueblo, I wanted to stay in mountains forever...)

At cripple creek I wanted to take Phantom Canyon road, but I was not up to another land mine with an amateur Africa twin ride over loaded

I took cr 11 to canon city. beautiful road.

Last edited by misterk; 06-11-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:55 AM   #66
misterk
Forum Supporter

Cannon city to Florence 115,

67 to 165 through Rye Co,

Good route to stay off i25 as much as you can

Overall about 3000 miles over 8 days, great learning experience on this big adv bike. I will be heading back to Colorado, Wyoming, Montana and Sturgis July 30th.

I have a dirt/paved route from Steamboat Springs to Burgess Junction Wyoming I plan to ride Aug 1st to Aug 3rd with a couple of buddies. It is about 400 miles between the two points. If you would like to join us for this part of the ride or through Colorado send me a pm. This section will be leaving Monday July 30 around 3 from DFW to Amarillo (hotel). Tuesday, Amarillo to Clayton (dirt and paved to Trinidad). Tuesday night in Littleton Co at a friends house. Wednesday morning head to Steamboat Springs then start the trail to Burgess Junction. I have some cabins booked at Burgess junction for Friday and Saturday. We will then head to Sturgis and Black Hills Sunday through Friday the next week.

On the way up, I plan to ride Phantom Canyon Road (667) from Canon City to Cripple Creek. Return to Jackson Creek Rd to Littleton Co.

It will look something like the map below

Till then.....happy trails.......

Last edited by misterk; 06-11-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:34 PM   #67
maximus_flavius

Nice.
maximus_flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:21 PM   #68
JoToPe

Would really like to join you on this ride, Kevin. If not then, perhaps we can do another ride. I’d really like to finish the GDR to MT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JoToPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:12 PM   #69
misterk
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoToPe View Post
Would really like to join you on this ride, Kevin. If not then, perhaps we can do another ride. I’d really like to finish the GDR to MT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would like that Rich.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:55 AM   #70
Liteitup
Forum Supporter

Pretty sure I saw you Friday late afternoon/early evening on 87 west of Clayton. I was hauling my Tenere to Raton to start my trip on Saturday.

I got these lines in my face
Tryin' to straighten out the wrinkles in my life
G. Clark
Liteitup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:18 AM   #71
misterk
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liteitup View Post
Pretty sure I saw you Friday late afternoon/early evening on 87 west of Clayton. I was hauling my Tenere to Raton to start my trip on Saturday.

Yep that was me
Old 06-12-2018, 11:28 AM   #72
humanrace

Nice report. The last time I did Phantom Canyon road, it was OK for a large ADV bike, but that was in 1992.
Unload that bike for your next trip. My wife and I travel with 40# or less and we try to camp all the time.
"For that day a large wisdom came to me. There was a great light, and I saw clear, and I knew that it was not for money that a man must live, but for a happiness that no man can give, or buy, or sell, and that is beyond all value of all money in the world." Sitka Charlie, Eskimo.
humanrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:24 PM   #73
_RG_

Great report. You can catch the Wy CDT just nw of steamboat. It's a remarkably good dirt and gravel road that you could land aircraft on. Seriously remote scenic areas with all kinds of antelope, deer, etc. Gas is a challenge on the first leg up from steamboat. You can stay on it all the way through mt too. There is a brief section in northern Wy that goes through a dirt bike park. It's just deep sand and a few hills but was still a handful even on a loaded 1190R. Very easy to go around it on pavement but ... Ah, that's up to y'all.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:34 PM   #74
misterk
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanrace View Post
Nice report. The last time I did Phantom Canyon road, it was OK for a large ADV bike, but that was in 1992.
Unload that bike for your next trip. My wife and I travel with 40# or less and we try to camp all the time.
yep, that is the game plan. No metal top case, fewer stuff and I should cut it down to about 30 lbs total.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:12 AM   #75
misterk
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by _RG_ View Post
Great report. You can catch the Wy CDT just nw of steamboat. It's a remarkably good dirt and gravel road that you could land aircraft on. Seriously remote scenic areas with all kinds of antelope, deer, etc. Gas is a challenge on the first leg up from steamboat. You can stay on it all the way through mt too. There is a brief section in northern Wy that goes through a dirt bike park. It's just deep sand and a few hills but was still a handful even on a loaded 1190R. Very easy to go around it on pavement but ... Ah, that's up to y'all.
Are you talking about the CDT that goes North West from Rawlins? We will be heading northerly from Rawlins to Leo, to Ten Sleep to Burgess Junction.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:57 AM   #76
Flesh Wound

Thumbs up Re: Riding NM and CO May 31 - June 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterk View Post
I will post a pic or two as it happens, mabie it will help someone in their planning. This will be my photo album
This has been more than helpful!

I am planning on riding northern New Mexico and southern Colorado from Austin, Texas. I am leaving the afternoon of AUG 23 and will get into Santa Fe the afternoon of the 24th. AUG 24 pm - SEP 3 am is riding before I make my way back home.

Thanks for posting this
Flesh Wound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:48 PM   #77
misterk
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flesh Wound View Post
This has been more than helpful!

I am planning on riding northern New Mexico and southern Colorado from Austin, Texas. I am leaving the afternoon of AUG 23 and will get into Santa Fe the afternoon of the 24th. AUG 24 pm - SEP 3 am is riding before I make my way back home.

Thanks for posting this
great, have fun!