• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MC Camping on the Cheap

Got one for $168 last night, seems a lot of sales going on. Google is your friend. Since I am just over 32 i like my comfort. Spend money on stuff that will last a long time is also frugal.
so you've had the thermarest cot for a number of years, how bout an opinion or review?

Pretty cool, Drew. I never saw or even heard of those in all my Army brat years, but it looks genuine. Even the nomenclature on the can is written in proper Army-ese. Given the years (1949, 1952), I'll bet they created the bag-in-a-can idea as a response to the thousands of soldiers trapped around the Chosin Reservoir, in sub-zero temps, at the outbreak of the Korean War (1950). It would have been a way to compress them and air drop them by the tons.

Edit: The 1949 date makes sense, too. Having seen thousands of soldiers deal with frostbite in the Battle of the Bulge (1945) and knowing the "next war" was likely to be fought on cold turf, it makes sense that the Army would develop a better cold weather bag. 1949 is about right for the general introduction of such.

In the early 70s, I used Army mummy bags that were probably just a generation removed from this one. They had real down lining, and they were effective in the near zero temps at beautiful Ft Leonard Wood, my alma mater.

Last edited:
Pretty cool, Drew. I never saw or even heard of those in all my Army brat years, but it looks genuine. Even the nomenclature on the can is written in proper Army-ese. Given the years (1949, 1952), I'll bet they created the bag-in-a-can idea as a response to the thousands of soldiers trapped around the Chosin Reservoir, in sub-zero temps, at the outbreak of the Korean War (1950). It would have been a way to compress them and air drop them by the tons.

Edit: The 1949 date makes sense, too. Having seen thousands of soldiers deal with frostbite in the Battle of the Bulge (1945) and knowing the "next war" was likely to be fought on cold turf, it makes sense that the Army would develop a better cold weather bag. 1949 is about right for the general introduction of such.

In the early 70s, I used Army mummy bags that were probably just a generation removed from this one. They had real down lining, and they were effective in the near zero temps at beautiful Ft Leonard Wood, my alma mater.

:thumb:

Back in the mid 70's my dad picked up a couple of these Korean War era bags
at a pawn shop in Killeen.

Down filled, waxed canvas bivy shell, very warm.

Two of these bags combined with a Eureka tent and a coleman stove comprised the bulk of our deer camp equipment.

Spent many a cold night in comfort. The coldest part was always
crawling out in the morning to get ready to go.

:eek2:

The coldest part was always crawling out in the morning to get ready to go.
:eek2:

The most absolute demoralizing part of boot camp. After spending a day high and low crawling through the water, being told to make sure we break up all the ice on the surface, and having to roll in the water. Put your gear over the top of the shelter and climb into that sleeping bag. Then, the next morning when you are warm and happy, having to get out of said sleeping bag and put on your uniform which didn't dry but instead froze. Going from warm to wearing frozen socks will totally ruin your day. At that point there wasn't **** the DI's could do that could ruin my day any further.

Yeah, I have memories of a forced march through 6" of snow back to the bivouac area. My tent had about 4" of snow on top of of it and stayed toasty warm that night - snow insulates well. But falling out in the morning was painful. I remember a guy who hung his fatigue coat outside his tent. It was frozen so hard that there was no possibility of getting arms through sleeves until it had been thawed over an oil fire can. Actually, it got worse from there; that night was simulated POW camp and Escape and Evasion. You can't unremember that experience. :(

LuminAID solar lanterns. Has anyone tried one of these little lights. They were originally designed to use in disaster areas. It consists of a small solar panel, battery and LED light encapsulated in an inflatable square body. Leave it in the sun all day and then use it at night. The wife bought me one for Christmas and it's not had a field test yet, still it seems pretty useful.

LuminAID solar lanterns. Has anyone tried one of these little lights. They were originally designed to use in disaster areas. It consists of a small solar panel, battery and LED light encapsulated in an inflatable square body. Leave it in the sun all day and then use it at night. The wife bought me one for Christmas and it's not had a field test yet, still it seems pretty useful.

I got one of those last year for Christmas and still haven't tried it.

There's another version called Luci (I think). JT tried a pair. They didn't hold up for long, iirc. My local WalMart now has them on the shelf.

I bought two items from Wallyworld today online. The first is a tarp I have seen a blogger use as a rain fly. It's a bit large at 10'x10' but the price is right: $10. It's actually a wall for a pop up canopy. This one is on clearance.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Sun-Wall-for-10-x-10-Straight-Leg-Canopy-Gazebo/34480136

The other is a hydrating day pack like one I already have. It's $11 and I tested it yesterday at White Rock lake. Note the water bladder is not included.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/OZARK-TR...adventure-hiking-backpacking-camping/49332913

EDIT: Not a 10'x10' tarp. The ez-up is 10' wide by 10' deep. the tarp is 10' x 6'. But it is very light.

Last edited:
I've got a very similar one my daughter gave me for Christmas 2 years ago. Inflates to that size and deflates flat. Awesome light at night. I think she got it from REI.

QUOTE=Meriden;1539693]LuminAID solar lanterns. Has anyone tried one of these little lights. They were originally designed to use in disaster areas. It consists of a small solar panel, battery and LED light encapsulated in an inflatable square body. Leave it in the sun all day and then use it at night. The wife bought me one for Christmas and it's not had a field test yet, still it seems pretty useful.[/QUOTE]

I bought two items from Wallyworld today online. The first is a tarp I have seen a blogger use as a rain fly. It's a bit large at 10'x10' but the price is right: $10. It's actually a wall for a pop up canopy. This one is on clearance.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Sun-Wall-for-10-x-10-Straight-Leg-Canopy-Gazebo/34480136...

Thanks. I'm going to get one or two for use with my 10x10 Ez-Up for camping when I trailer the dirt bikes to the forest. Wind block, rain protection, sun protection, etc. good to have on hand when needed.

_

Thanks. I'm going to get one or two for use with my 10x10 Ez-Up for camping when I trailer the dirt bikes to the forest. Wind block, rain protection, sun protection, etc. good to have on hand when needed.

_

Only one of the colors is $10. The rest are $15 or so.

Anyone know a good method to determine how much is left in a fuel canister?

I saw that, actually my preferred color is blue and only $7.56 but out of stock.

For butane bottles I just go by feel and when it's half full or less I'll stop at the next Walmart I pass and pick up another.

_

Like the compressed gas canisters for the little jet boil type stoves? Put it in a tub of water. The higher it rides in the water the less fuel it has in it.

Weigh an empty one. Weigh a full one. The difference is the amount of liquid propane in the cylinder. Weighing a partially full cylinder will give an indication of the amount left when you compare it to the weight of a full and an empty cylinder. Pressure in the cylinder will remain the same until all liquid is gone. Downs water method is a crude weigh scale.

Yes I have a BSR tiny stove and was using it when it went out. Same cans as the jetboil and I use the smallest cause it and the stove fits inside the Stanley adventure kit if you remove one of the green cups.

Yesterday I tested a coffee can over a DIY alcohol stove (0.5 pounds). The BSR + Stanley + nested Stanley is 1.5 pounds. Trying to come up with the best combo to ride, park, hike 4 miles... Less weight is winning.

Weigh an empty one. Weigh a full one. The difference is the amount of liquid propane in the cylinder. Weighing a partially full cylinder will give an indication of the amount left when you compare it to the weight of a full and an empty cylinder. Pressure in the cylinder will remain the same until all liquid is gone. Downs water method is a crude weigh scale.

Got home from the lake today and realized my error of tossing the empty gas can in the trash. Now I have to burn a new one out and weight it. That is why I posted to see if there was another way.

I recommend taking a nail punch (or your choice of tool) and venting a hole. This even if you valved it empty. This ensures zero residual vapor and any danger of it doing anything should it get crushed by the garbage truck compacter.

I did a super quick Google and as a result I believe it's required by most municipalities by code to punch that hole in it.

JetBoil sells a "crunchit" tool but that's ridiculous when you can use garage tools to do the trick.

Whether or not you're recycling fuel canisters, even if it's going in the trash, the right thing to do before they're tossed is making that hole.

Back