• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Battery choices

I just realized I used Siri on my iPhone to transcribe my previous post and it makes almost no sense. Sorry about that.

Guess my point is that with more and more bikes removing the kick starters, the battery has become even more important than ever before. I am hoping this Li-Ion battery will prove even more reliable than the stock AGM battery.

Next will be the Husky, it is the stock battery from 2015, so I am guessing it will be time soon.

I know with most of our cars and even my diesel truck most batteries only last 3 years here in Texas. Guess our heat along with greater power demands on newer cars and trucks none of them last too long. We use mostly Interstate.

Actually as I think about it between cars, trucks, tractors, riding mowers (3), UTV's etc, I seem to be buying at least 2 to 3 batteries a year just to keep up. Wonder how the Li-Ion would do in the riding mowers and UTV's too... They really don't last too long, heat and cold I believe...

I just realized I used Siri on my iPhone to transcribe my previous post and it makes almost no sense. Sorry about that.

Guess my point is that with more and more bikes removing the kick starters, the battery has become even more important than ever before. I am hoping this Li-Ion battery will prove even more reliable than the stock AGM battery.

Next will be the Husky, it is the stock battery from 2015, so I am guessing it will be time soon.

I know with most of our cars and even my diesel truck most batteries only last 3 years here in Texas. Guess our heat along with greater power demands on newer cars and trucks none of them last too long. We use mostly Interstate.

Actually as I think about it between cars, trucks, tractors, riding mowers (3), UTV's etc, I seem to be buying at least 2 to 3 batteries a year just to keep up. Wonder how the Li-Ion would do in the riding mowers and UTV's too... They really don't last too long, heat and cold I believe...

simpler to just buy one universal battery and move it to whatever vehicle you need to use at that moment.:lol2:

You can deep discharge a AGM battery and still be able to trickle charge it back to life fairly easily. However, if you deep discharge a lithium battery, your stuck with a bad battery with damaged cells. You can use a traditional trickle charger on a Lithium battery but it has to not use an automatic "desulfation mode", which cannot be turned off.

...Shorai does sell a Lithium charger for around $100 that has a special rejuvenation mode specifically designed for the Shorai battery.

RB

Desulfaction mode can be turned off on some chargers and those are safe with it off. For the best LI charging you need one that looks at each cell individually and charges that way. The cheap walmart ones have "auto" desulfation modes and you can't turn those off.

The shoria charger uses the internal charging port so it can monitor and charge the cells individually. https://www.walmart.com/ip/SHORAI-B...1983&wl11=online&wl12=585367012&wl13=&veh=sem

Last edited:
Well I don’t like to hear that. I thought i was spending more for a bit of insurance so to speak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the word on Gel vs AGM batteries?

Just for the record, I've used Shorai batteries in my DR650 all through Africa and it's still going strong in India, after like 6 years of use. Shorai actually sponsored me a battery back when I was on my big trip so I think it might have been early in their product development cycle.

I ended up with a Gel battery by Bikemaster. $75 and a 2 year warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back