• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I'm new here

m4f3w

Reaction score
Hey yall!

I'm Matthew, I'm new to these parts (and bikes). I'm in South Austin.

I'm taking my MSF this weekend and will be riding on a friend's 08 BMW F800ST for a few months until I buy a bike of my own.

Welcome from Houston!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Howdy from denton.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Welcome to the site! :wave:

Must be a good friend to let a new rider borrow an F800ST ;-)

Any ideas what bike you want to get?

Welcome to the site! :wave:

Must be a good friend to let a new rider borrow an F800ST ;-)

Any ideas what bike you want to get?

One of the best friends one could have.

Something adventure-y and from Europe, though with a more street/touring focus than offroad. I'm leaning towards Cagiva Gran Canyon or Multistrada the most, I think.

We'll see when it comes time to give the F800ST back though. I'm well aware my desires may change dramatically after spending real time on a bike. So far, my experience is limited to a few dirt bikes years ago, Vespas in traffic in Rome, and the F800ST in a gated community.

There are so many great choices right now, it can seem overwhelming! Not a bad "problem" to have ;-)

Welcome to TWT. The F800ST is a great bike and has the stuff to see you safely through your first year of riding, or be the dream bike you ride for life. After a few months, you'll be much better attuned to what you want, and what you DON'T want, in your next bike.

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone.

Words cannot express my excitement or my wife's ire.

welcome and enjoy!

Have an ired wife is not good.

I'm in south austin as well, right off southwest parkway. If you'd like to go for some quick rides after work or something let me know. I ride a Scout, buddy has a Concours, and we both have plated enduros as well for dirty stuff, beta and a ktm.

Got my MSF completed today, time to get my endorsement tomorrow morning.

Class was fun, I ended up getting 1 point on the course for not carrying enough speed in the decreasing radius turn at the end of the test. The next lowest score in my group was 8.

Most of the bikes were brand new, 125CC Kawasaki Z125 Pros. Fun little bike.

I ended up not borrowing my friend's F800ST

I bought an R1150 GS!

JgSb_ForJ0tpkuM915K9NcHcsDsvyPxwyV7ntcPxJzFO-Irw9labJw0AIuESDHS_yLR7FazDBKCMOA2aO4=w1144-h858-no.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations on he bike and passing the course. Be safe out there.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Congrats on passing the class and getting legal. People will give you lots of advice, mine is simple. Stay aware and keep learning. Oh, and in a group, ride your own ride. ie, ride at your comfort level. A good group will adjust and accommodate you.

Congrats on the new bike! One piece of advice I was given years ago that has always stuck with me, is that you can nearly always lean more than you think. If you realize you are entering a corner faster than you feel confortable, look through the turn and lean more. Chances are as a new rider, you aren't anywhere near the capabilities of the bike, so rather than grabbing a handfull of brake and going off the road, just lean more and go. Looking through a corner really helps! :welcome:

I ended up not borrowing my friend's F800ST

I bought an R1150 GS!

Congrats on the new bike! One piece of advice I was given years ago that has always stuck with me, is that you can nearly always lean more than you think. If you realize you are entering a corner faster than you feel confortable, look through the turn and lean more. Chances are as a new rider, you aren't anywhere near the capabilities of the bike, so rather than grabbing a handfull of brake and going off the road, just lean more and go. Looking through a corner really helps! :welcome:

Thanks. It is easy to know that's the case, but trusting that is hard.

I'm well behind the capabilities of the bike, that's for sure.

Congrats on the bike! Looks like a good fit for you.

Ok, my turn to give advice...
Ride with folks who are better riders than you are (and who will support a new rider.)
You will pick up good habits just by riding with those good riders.

Conversely, riding with inexperienced riders or those with poor skills will not only contaminate your own skills but will undermine your confidence in sneaky ways.

Also (can't help myself) to expand on the very good advice about looking thru corners. If fear grips you, you mightthink you are looking thru the turn, when in fact you aren't. However, if you train yourself to 'point your nose' where you want to go, you are more likely to actually turn your head and really look.

Good luck and congrats again. Hope to see you at a pie run or meet n greet.

Nice bike, congrats and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back