• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Texas Tiddlers Endurance Run - May 19, 2018

You can do it!!! Even faster than Q's little legs could carry me. Go full jockey when you need an extra 5 mph. [emoji38] I think your KLX would prefer you to keep the weight lower than Q carried. Other than that, load up and go! It will be fun!

Don't forget the travel neck pillow down the back of your pants trick for added tushie cushioning. Just sayin...

Kat and Lee, I rode 300 miles yesterday. I left my pasture home at nine and got home at six. Met Rod and friends at The Shed for lunch and then followed Rod's meanandering for several hours. The first hundred miles to the NE was into the wind and uphill. That was an eye opener! Throttle was almost pinned most of the time at 55 mph. Went on reserve at 92 miles. My calculations gives reserve about twenty more miles so carrying an extra two liters in my tail bag was good. At the Shed everybody was asking who was that crazy guy riding the dirt bike. After 127 miles, I had to agree.
Lunch was good as was following Rod's ant paths. But, honestly, my bottom was getting sore. That's in spite of zip tying an ATV foam seat pad on top of the KLX seat I was having a harder time avoiding bottom pain. Two more gas stops on the way home and trying to stay out of the way on 75 mph highways took a lot of the charm of doing miles on a small bike. My bottom was really getting sore the last fifty miles. By that time I was thinking I was planning on riding 324 miles to the rally, 200 miles at the rally, and 324 miles back home. Sore butt was going to be a big problem, plus carrying camping gear was going to be a challenge. So, I'm dropping out. I don't want to trailer the KLX to the rally and it's not a tiddler, too modern and fast.

Ya'll enjoy.
A wiser motorcycle rider

So its not clear, do you need a street legal cycle for this event.

Well, I'll answer the question indirectly:
Most all of the route is on public roads; however,
here are some motorcycles that have completed prior Endurance Runs:

http://www.twtex.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=774&pictureid=4104

http://www.twtex.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=774&pictureid=4095

And some that have participated in prior Runs:

http://www.twtex.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=774&pictureid=4097

http://www.sidecar.com/mbbs22/photos/get-photo.asp?photoid=5921

plus the mini-bike pictured in the 2018 Flyer that completed the 1st half of a prior Tiddler.

Last edited by a moderator:
.... Went on reserve at 92 miles.... trying to stay out of the way on 75 mph highways took a lot of the charm.... I don't want to trailer the KLX to the rally and it's not a tiddler, too modern and fast....

Successful cross-country travel on a 250 class motorcycle does necessitate some alternative planning - and a different mental approach to the journey. ±92 miles to reserve is average for a stock KLX - even less for a TW. The best travel routes avoid what I refer to as "truck routes." A 250 is out of its element mixing it up with traffic on a windy 75 mph road. We have an advantage over here in Louisiana & Arkansas, as smaller state highways are 55 mph. We've always trailered our bike to the Tiddler runs, but I have ridden the TW back home.

Robert, would you come over if'n we can source a bike for you to ride in the Tiddler?

All that is absolutely true! Q taught me a lot. He mostly taught me I better ride by myself a lot of the time :-) It is a really different experience.

Lee's offer is pretty hard to refuse, don't you think? :trust: I am working every weekend through Memorial Day or I would be there!

Lee, thanks for the offer but I've decided to go to Ron's fish fry that weekend. May has so many great events. I will be at Mena and perhaps will get my '68 Yamaha 250 Catalina in running condition by then. You're putting on a great event. Please put my entry fee towards your rally expenses.

Tiddlers are fascinating and the slow speed travel brings me back to my first motorized ride at thirteen on a clunky Cushman single speed scooter at thirty mph. It was an eyeopener compared to pushing the pedals on a bicycle.

I attended the Stilwell Oklahoma Tiddler run earlier this month (38 F) and have passed along the link to this site in hopes of getting some of them to come again this year. I will be bringing the 72 CZ 175 Trail to ride and the 56 BMW R26 as:rider: a spare. I'm also bringing the 1965 Italjet 50cc (Jawa powered) hoping it will find a new home. And of course the flattop. There was some awesome jamming going on at the campground until the flood hit last year! Looking forward to camping and visiting with everyone again this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes flats are a bummer. Nothing more embarrassing than bringing a BMW back to camp in a pickup:tears:right? And I won't have Shirley and the Stella to get me back to the truck. I've got new rubber this year. Maybe I can finish the second loop this time!

Prepping for the Tiddler :mrgreen::
9f2b65ce4fe75044a8772441f0af617d.jpg

Last edited:
After higher than anticipated rate of attrition from a morning route with a good portion of gravel roads, TWT's had a good showing, with vintagetour winning Class III riding the 72 CZ 175 Trail, and me winning Class I on the 1982 Honda MB5. And Mrs. SwampFox completed the run on her Zuma 50F :rider:

Bravo, tiddler titans!!!

:sun::sun::sun:

All warmed up for Mena now ;-)

Lee also won overall trophy. 2nd year in a row. And he navigated for his group both morning and afternoon. Technically everyone leaves out with a piece of paper telling you total mileage to the next turn and which direction to turn but most people just fall in behind a good navigator. Congratulations Lee!:clap:

I am working on a 48 Trojan Mini motor (38cc) and plan to have it installed on a bicycle by the end of the month. Shooting for the ride at the Harvest Classic this fall. Figure a 40 mile ride on a bicycle seat will be more than enough adventure for me.

I am working on a 48 Trojan Mini motor (38cc) and plan to have it installed on a bicycle by the end of the month. Shooting for the ride at the Harvest Classic this fall. Figure a 40 mile ride on a bicycle seat will be more than enough adventure for me.

Very interesting. Perhaps you would be so generous as to start a thread on this primitive precursor of a motorcycle. I for one, am interested. It would be fun to motorize my recumbent although it could be fast enough to be dangerous. The seat of a recumbent is much more comfortable and that's why I bought it.

A friend and I have taken his 2 Velo-Solexes to Davenport for the swap meet over the Labor Day weekend. They have baskets for any treasures we find and it beats the **** out of walking. He decided I needed a moped of my own and came up with the Trojan Mini Motor for me, I came up with the bicycle to mount it on.
Who says you need a big bike to have fun, it comes in all sizes and shapes.

Back