• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Thread size of front axle

Reaction score
Does anyone have an over sized tap and die set to see what thread I'd need to clean up my threads?

Don't ask why I'd need this:giveup:

It may be better to pull fork leg and take Axle to machine shop. Steel to aluminum can be tricky IMO. I would want to make sure it is right and safe. Good Luck man.

I'd use a thread file to clean up the threads...diameter of bolt/axle isn't a consideration if this is what's needed...

thread-file.jpg

HOw to use a thread file

If I were to chase the thread I'd need the proper size though, right? That seems the most thorough way to fix them without buy a new axle which is like $140!

If I were to chase the thread I'd need the proper size though, right? That seems the most thorough way to fix them without buy a new axle which is like $140!

Yes you need a thread file to match your threads. I find them at bearing supply places. These bearing supply places usually have tools. I would just take the axle with me to the bearing supply and match it to a thread file.

Dixie tool will have what you need in austin, take the axle with you so they can verify the thread, and pitch. Use a sulphur based oil when using the button die.

Buy a thread file. Cheap and each file has 8 thread pitches. Buy 2 and you have every thread pitch you are likely to encounter.

Back