• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Continintal Divide in May?

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Squires
I'm thinking of a trip in late May that would include Moab and the Colorado portion of the Continental Divide.

I'm safe for Moab but would I need to be concerned with getting into snow and ice in the Colorado mountains of the divide in May?

Is May too early or do I need to wait until later in the summer? Anyone here have knowledge about what it would be like on the CD in late May?

I'm thinking of a trip in late May that would include Moab and the Colorado portion of the Continental Divide.

I'm safe for Moab but would I need to be concerned with getting into snow and ice in the Colorado mountains of the divide in May?

Is May too early or do I need to wait until later in the summer? Anyone here have knowledge about what it would be like on the CD in late May?

The high passes may still be snowed in. Boreas south of Brekenridge particularly. But the highway is close and an easy bypass if needed.

Plan on going there in June!

Try not to break a leg this time!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beemer Bob, what other passes in Colorado does the CDT cross? Many high passes could be closed. Three or four years ago, we were there in early July and Tincup and Hancock were closed.

Beemer Bob, what other passes in Colorado does the CDT cross? Many high passes could be closed. Three or four years ago, we were there in early July and Tincup and Hancock were closed.

Those aren't on the CDT. There is another real high pass along the CO/NM border that may be a problem. Depends on where Bob jumps into the trail. It is south of Del Norte; Indiana maybe? I can't recall.

Edit: I checked my ride report, it is Indiana, the highest pass on the CDT.

Last edited:
Those aren't on the CDT. There is another real high pass along the CO/NM border that may be a problem. Depends on where Bob jumps into the trail. It is south of Del Norte; Indiana maybe? I can't recall.

Edit: I checked my ride report, it is Indiana, the highest pass on the CDT.

I was planning on starting at Grants, NM. Go through Colorado and perhaps some of Wyoming

What snow danger areas on that route?

That time of year you will find snow at highest elevations and the farther north the more snow you will run into. Indiana Pass is the first spot as you go north over 11,000 feet. There is not an easy bypass but if the road is clear it is good road. The next high spot is Boreas Pass between Fairplay and Brekenridge, I think it is close to 12,000. But Hoosier Pass is paved and goes nearly parallel for an easy bypass if Boreas is closed. Elevation starts to get lower as you go north but on the other hand you are going north. There is a part of the route northwest of Kremmling that is pretty high two track jeep trail that could still be closed. And again the area north of Steamboat Spgs, Slater Park that is two track forest service jeep trails that if snowy would be a challenge. Wyoming shouldn't be to bad as the elevations aren't there except for the area southest of the Tetons. If you are only going to Rawlins you should be OK.

It has been a "bad year" for snow in the mountains this winter, until January we had more snow in the Denver area than the resorts in the mountains have had. Friends were out in Vail last weekend, it was in the 50's during the day and was turning to slush, the temps this week have still been in the 50's for the most part, we have been near 80 in Denver. A few weeks ago we took the car on Peak-to-Peak highway and saw very little snow and you can tell there has been significant snow melt on Mount Evans (14,265 ft) since I took a pic from our bedroom in Aurora in February. Unless there is a major winter storm in the next month I would think most passes would be open and passable by late May, most open up a week or so before Memorial Day weekend. With the light snowfall this year they might be open earlier. You could always check the CDOT website or the CDOT Road Conditions website for road closure info.

I rode in June over the same basic area last year when there was record snow. Many passes that were above 10,000 feet were very muddy or still covered with snow, making many routes inaccessible in some areas. This year has been a disappointment in terms of snow accumulation, which might make it easier for you.

However, it might be more prudent to wait until July when the seasonal mud has vanished and Rocky Mountains are in full bloom.

RB

normal_iil-ian-bw-0029.jpg

May is too early. The weather and road conditions will be unpredictable. Better option would be to go to Death Valley with your brother. Save the CDR for later in the year.

Bob, are you planning on taking the Ural? Two wheel drive will give you more traction, or get you stuck further from the good road.

Back