• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Challenge 2009 and beyond - Historical Marker Run

In front of the Jasper County Courthouse

JasperCountyHisticalMarker.jpg

Picked these up today while riding through my home town:
Groveton.jpg

FMC-Groveton.jpg

TrinityCountySeats.jpg

TrinityCountyCourthouse.jpg

It's a pretty impressive courthouse which will soon be undergoing renovations.
Courthouse.jpg

Re: Challenge 2009 and beyond

No doubt Scott (M38A1) will post up about 400 of them. :lol2:

How 'bout a few more?

Alameda Cemetery
Alameda.jpg

Bob's Oil Well
BobsOilWell.jpg

Center City Community
CenterCity.jpg

Curtis Airfield
CurtisAirfield.jpg

Edwards County Courthouse
EdwardsCounty.jpg

The Geographic Center of Tejas
GeographicCenter.jpg

Helena
Helena.jpg

Kimble County Courthouse
KimbleCounty.jpg

Kinney County Courthouse
KinneyCounty.jpg

Gunfight at the Lampassas Saloon
LampassasGunfight.jpg

Judge Roy Bean/Langtry
Langtry.jpg

Charles Lindbergh in Texas
Lindbergh.jpg

London Post Office
LondonPO.jpg

Luckenbach
Luckenbach.jpg

Pana Maria
PanaMaria.jpg

Pecos River Bridge
PecosBridge.jpg

Real County Courthouse
RealCounty.jpg

Refugio County Courthouse
RefugioCourtHouse.jpg

Sam Houston's Grave
SamHoustonGrave.jpg

St. Matthews Church
StMatts.jpg

Teacup Mountain
TeacupMtn.jpg

Trueue De Union
TreueDeUntion.jpg

ValVerde Church
ValVerdeCommunity.jpg

ValVerde County Courthouse
ValVerdeCOunty.jpg

YO Ranch
YORanch.jpg

Whew.... That ought to keep you busy.

Why has it taken me half a year to see this thread? :doh:

I'm in. I got a few photos, some with the bike in the pic.

I'll have to wait until I get back to Texas before I can post....still packing for the trip home.

So we can post any historical markers we have? Are we keeping track of how many there are and how many are posted?

So we can post any historical markers we have? Are we keeping track of how many there are and how many are posted?

I believe Mavrick said he'd take control of the administration of this thread. As for ones we had, I just went through my archives and pulled them to a single folder.

HPIM1549.jpg

Marker 5465002556
Hood's Devil's River Fight - The men of Company G, a small unit of the U. S. 2nd cavalry, left Fort Mason on July 5, 1857, under the command of Lt. John Bell Hood (1831-1879), in pursuit of Comanche Indians in the vicinity. Traveling northwest, they discovered a fresh Indian trail leading southward toward Mexico. Crossing bluffs near the Devil's River on July 20, the men encountered an Indian camp on a ridge about two miles from the steam, marked by a white flag. Suspecting an ambush, Hood proceeded cautiously toward the ridge. A small band of Indians advanced to meet Hood's party. Then, throwing down the flag to signal their concealed allies, the Indians attacked. Outnumbered, and hampered by brush fires set by Indian women, the soldiers were forced into fierce hand-to-hand combat. They heard the loud cries of Comanche women through the smoke and dust, indicating an Indian retreat. Two cavalrymen, William Barry and Thomas Ryan, were killed, and five others, including Hood, were wounded. Later reports revealed that nineteen Indians were killed, and many more wounded. Hood and his men were later cited for valor in army reports. 1987)

Vigo Park Methodist Church
Marker #: 5437005653
Year Dedicated: 1976

100_0194.JPG

Last edited:
Hamblen Drive (aka Claude Crossing)
Marker #: 5011004284
Year Dedicated: 1968

100_0236.JPG

Last edited:
Palo Duro Canyon
Marker #: 5437003918
Year Dedicated: 1936
Size, type: 36' Centennial - Subject Marker (gray)

100_0195.JPG

100_0196.JPG

Last edited:
I saw a Historical Markers Contest thread over on Dual Sport Riders of Louisiana and noticed one of the TWT members from east of the Sabine and Mississippi Rivers posting in the thread and thought I would post a link to it here. Doug did a great job as usual on the photos and the report.

Doug's Historical Markers

Here is a link to the all the photo threads in the contest/fund raiser...
Photo submissions

or to the entire Sub-Forum on the "Race to Historical Markers"
Race to Historical Markers - Sub-Forum

On RR470 just west of Bandera...

Utopia013.jpg

HM.jpg

I didn't see an entrance for the cemetery. The land behind the marker was fenced in with no gates nearby, at least that I could see...

This is so cool!

It's been forever since I was last here but I saw this come up in a search and had to butt in.

If you're into historical markers, do check out Markeroni: http://www.markeroni.com

In particular, this section http://www.markeroni.com/lists/ has resources for historical markers in all states. :)

now I'm going to go through and look at all the pretty pictures...

Linda

Back