• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New -Long time rider

STILLSMOKEN

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this board but been riding many years. I am in between bikes now having just sold a VTX1300S, this past winter and a Honda 750 Aero Shadow, and a 02 Gl1800 Gold Wing, Yamaha 1300 classic in the past 4 years. My youngest daughter wanted my GW more than I. I'm a solo rider as my wife won't ride and I like to run hiways, country roads to get to the good back country (back roads and trails) so I am now looking for a dual purpose bike to pack light camping gear and ride across Texas to get to the Big Bend or Western states so I can then go off road. My big problem is my rear end is built too close to the sidewalk, (29 inch inseam) and the dual bikes these days seem to be built for 6 foot plus riders. Last really good fitting dual I had, though a two stroke and a little low on power, was a bike I used for racing in the late 60s, (enduros, TT scrambles, early motorcross), a Yamaha DT 1. My first bike that I used for dual purpose that was a little heavy but tough was a foot clutch, hand shift 1949 Harley 74. I prefer a light weight low center of gravity low seat/high armoured center, 4 stroke with good torque. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Barn

I prefer a light weight low center of gravity low seat/high armoured center, 4 stroke with good torque. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Barn

Welcome - you'll find that a bunch of these folks are infected with dual-sporting.

As for suggestions - while not particularly light weight, the (pre-08) KLR can be had for a friendly price, and with the dished Corbin seat can be lowered to a reasonable height for compact persons. A very good friend of similar stature had that setup, and it worked good for him.

Last edited:
How much off road are you talking about. I would love to have one of these -

triumph_scrambler2.jpg

I forgot about that Triumph as a DUAL type as I had a 650 in the mid to late 60s I ran all over the roads and deserts of Southern Cal., Az., NV and other western states when I was stationed at George AFB. That was before I was sent to the Fla. panhandle where I got the Yamaha DT 1 and got to racing. That hoss did quite well off road though the weight was a bit high (located high that is). Early 60s when at Stead AFB, Reno, the Trials bunch, club,used those Tr 650s around there and in the mountains for trials. Had rear sprockets near as large as the rear wheel rim. Barn

Welcome to the site! :wave:

:tab In addition to a dished Corbin, you can also get different links for the rear suspension to lower the KLR and raise the forks in the triple clamp. There are a LOT of people with KLR's on the site, so if you ask around you might find someone with one already lowered that you can test out for fit.

:tab The DR650's are not real tall compared to the Hondas. Teeds recently picked on up for DS riding. He's... uh... not scraping the clouds with his scalp... :-P However, he seems quite happy with it. PM him if you want more info.

Welcome :wave:

HAve you considered a VFR? oh, oops, sorry, got stuck in the "my bike is best" mode :mrgreen:

No useful suggestions, but I'm sure you'll find plenty of people with good ideas

Welcome to the site. I ride a Dual Sport and, being a bit short of leg (30" inseam), have an appreciation for being able to touch down with both feet at the same time.

The Suzuki DR650 starts out with a lower seat height than the Kawasaki KLR or the Honda XR650 and can also be lowered with available rear suspension components and seats which are not as high above the frame. Of course, lowering the suspension forces you to give up some travel, but it's worth it to not have to find stumps and curbs to prop up on when you are ready to stop.

Thanks All for your responses. I have been posting on the dual sport board but still don't know if that is where I should be. HEY BUSHWHACKER ---that Triumph realy reminds me of my ride in 1966 in Southern Cal. and area except for the high pipes. What do they call that bike??????? That is interesting. Give me a shout.

Just noticed your post , good meeting you yesterday . After we left Waco we took off to the west a ways then decided to go by and see George's house ,nobody was home , I plugged in a route toward Crawford that included small county roads that turned to gravel then dropped down a fairly steep hill to a low water crossing thru a river . I thought we were in the hill country for a bit . The Harly and the Wing forded just as easy as the rest of us . All bikes are dual sport , some are just faster in the rough stuff . The flowers were awsome out there in the boonys , I slowed down for a quick smell a couple of times . SEYA

Pleased to have met you. It sounds as if that low crossing is the one from GWs the short back way to Valley Mills. I have run all over that area on several different bikes including the1800 Wing. Didn't feel to compfortable taking that crossing on the Wing as at times it gets kind of bad with a verticle jump and then heavy steep wash board gravel to climb out on the Valley Mills side.

Back