• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Costa Rica by Bike

AUSFletch,

Since you are getting in late and the bike rental is on Paseo Colon, I would recommend you spend the night at the Grano de Oro. This is a very nice B&B about a block off of Paseo Colon. It is within walking distance of the rental location. I have stayed there myself. See http://www.hotelgranodeoro.com/welcome.html

We booked the first night at this place. It looks great and gets fantastic reviews everywhere I've looked. Two weeks to go. Any last minute advice? -Fletch

We booked the first night at this place. It looks great and gets fantastic reviews everywhere I've looked. Two weeks to go. Any last minute advice? -Fletch

Take photos and a journal. Pen a few notes every night so that you can give us a good ride report. No riding at night.

Have fun and good luck!

Mike

T minus One Day

Thanks for all the advice, folks. We head out tomorrow. We have packed all our riding gear, clothes, tools, first aid, electronics and sundry for 8 days of riding into one medium North Face duffel and two small backpacks. I bet we still packed things we will never use. Talk to y'all in a week or so..... -Fletch

Good luck to you!!! Keep us updated from time to time as to where you are. There are plenty of internet cafes along the way. I look forward to seeing lots of pics.

Well, it seems I failed to bring a USB cable so will be unable to upload photos. I haven´t taken any great ones, anyhow. The scenery is magnificent but the roads and traffic don´t allow for spontaneously pulling over to snap photos. We are near the pueblito of El Castillo near Volcano Arenal. We are staying here.

http://www.hotellindavista.com/

It doesn´t suck. Turns out the only rooms they had left were master suites with full view of the lake and volcano. And its own computer. And beer-stocked mini-fridge.

Last night we stayed here:

http://www.termalesdelbosque.com/english/index.htm

So far Costa Rica kinda reminds me of the love-child of Hawaii and Mexico. Lots of traffic and tourists but those seem to be thinning out now that we are 100 miles from San Jose. The road from Aguas Zarcas to Fortuna was finally free of traffic and a wonderful ride.

I am off to ride the mountain roads while AusWife lounges by the pool under the shadow of the volcano.

Hasta, -Fletch

Sounds like its going well for you guys. I was in the area of lake arenal also, but it rained on me constantly so I couldnt really enjoy the scenery. Hopefully you will have more of dry season than I did. Are you headed to the pacific coast? that was my favorite.

Sounds like its going well for you guys. I was in the area of lake arenal also, but it rained on me constantly so I couldnt really enjoy the scenery. Hopefully you will have more of dry season than I did. Are you headed to the pacific coast? that was my favorite.

We arrived in Playa Samara yesterday afternoon. It seemed like everyone we encountered in CR recommended it. The road from Las Juntas to here was the only non beatiful stretch yet. By "non beautiful" I mean long, straight, hot, and dusty. But the destination was worth it. It is beautiful and rustic here even if it seems like 5 tourists for every resident. Easy.

Oh well, we have a great hotel with a lovely pool and a fridge full of Imperials. The beach down the road 3 miles, Playa Cerrillo, is actually much more pleasant. I have a feeling the further south you go the more that becomes the case. Tragically, the road deteriorates inversely to the beauty so we have, on a two up, overloaded, underpowered, undersprung, DR decided not to take the 6 hour beach ride to Mal Pais. It gives me a reason to return with bike to myself or, better yet, a bigger bike or two bikes for us both!!!

Two more days at beach then headed home.

Back