TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General > Riding Games & Projects

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 11-12-2013, 07:26 AM   #1
The Big Spank Daddy

Anyone Have HO Slot Car Suggestions?

Gonna get the Grandson an HO slot car set for Christmas. In my day, the early 70s and my kid's days the late 80s we had AFX sets. The biggest problem was the little lock tabs on the track would always break off.

Anyone have any recent experience with these sets or some of the other brands?
The Big Spank Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:53 AM   #2
kickstand~prophet

Re: Anyone Have HO Slot Car Suggestions?

Man Chris I have not thought about this for long time. I have some older sets from when I was a kid but I have not bought one in maybe 10 years or so. If I remember right the newer one was exactly like the much older ones. I have a glow in the dark one some where in the garage that I played with many moons ago. One brand was Cox and AFX. I need to check to see if they are still out there. I bet like HO trains,the tracks may not have changed or altered much. I bet any real toy store would have them. Toys-R-Us at one time had them. Mine came for Montgomery Wards,Gibsons Discount Center,or JC Pennys I bet. Mine were mainly TYCO or Aurora brands.
kickstand~prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
Mossrider

Try Hobby Lobby They have a small selection or try my favorite store Hobby Town
Old 11-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
The Big Spank Daddy

Well I guess my question was not real clear. I have found several on Amazon, but other than the AFX I have no experience with the other brands. So I guess my question should have been more like, "...does anyone have any experience with the recent HO slot car brands/sets...?"
Old 11-12-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
kickstand~prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Spank Daddy View Post
Well I guess my question was not real clear. I have found several on Amazon, but other than the AFX I have no experience with the other brands. So I guess my question should have been more like, "...does anyone have any experience with the recent HO slot car brands/sets...?"
Maybe ten years ago I bought one maybe Tyco brand. Nothing recent but there is not many I bet to select from. Used I would buy the Tyco but that is because most of mine are that brand. They might not even be in business anymore. Wish I could help you more. Good luck,hope which ever set you get that he enjoys it. KP
Old 11-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #6
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

I still have all my AFX cars. I haven't had the track for maybe 30 years or more. I bought most of the cars in the mid to late 70s. I've no idea if they would even work still. Most of the tires have long since dry rotted. AFX was the only brand I ever messed with. TYCO was real big at that time, but none of my buds had them. We all bought AFX so we could make bigger tracks, but that required special hand controls because of the added length of track.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:37 AM   #7
jbird710

I had AFX back in the '70s and it looks like they are still in business: http://www.afxracing.com/php/

I've always been more into O gauge model trains and Lionel makes some products called "Superstreets". It's not a race track, more like realistic streets used a lot in model layouts.:
http://www.lionel.com/Products/Finde...CategoryID=452

Don't you know about the Bird?

7 Hondas, a Harley, and a basket case Suzuki
"The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect"
jbird710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:46 AM   #8
GIXXERKELLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird710 View Post
I had AFX back in the '70s and it looks like they are still in business: http://www.afxracing.com/php/

I've always been more into O gauge model trains and Lionel makes some products called "Superstreets". It's not a race track, more like realistic streets used a lot in model layouts.:
http://www.lionel.com/Products/Finde...CategoryID=452
Wow what a blast from the past! I loved playing with my AFX cars and track
Old 11-14-2013, 07:33 AM   #9
The Big Spank Daddy

The others I see at Amazon are "Life-Like Racing". I see where you can buy a section of adapter track to match up to AFX.

AFX is we I've always had in the past. My only gripe was that the locking tabs broke all the time.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #10
kickstand~prophet

Life-like is a cheaper brand. In HO trains their stuff is not as nice as other brands in my opinion. Stick with Tyco or AFX.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #11
Boxercup Dave

I still have my old Aruora and AFX cars. Used to have track on a piece of 4x8 ply. Bought a new AFX track a few years back but still in the box. Carerra brand might be compatible withe AFX.

2000 Triumph Trophy 1200 sold
2008 WR250R sold
1998 TW200 (pair of them)
1974 Honda TL125 sold
late 60's Honda CT70 (not running) but soon to be a new project
1980 Corvette street/track day mods
2007 V8 Vantage
Boxercup Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #12
kickstand~prophet

Did you ever get anything?
Old 12-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #13
The Big Spank Daddy

Got this

Amazon.com: AFX 24 Hour Champions Mega G Set with Tri-Powe AFX70286: Toys & Games Amazon.com: AFX 24 Hour Champions Mega G Set with Tri-Powe AFX70286: Toys & Games

Decided to stay with what I know.