• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Looking for a new jacket....

Shaggy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Hershberger
I have a JR Phoenix 4.0 mesh and its great but I hate having to put the liner in for the morning ride in to work and taking it out for the ride home.

What I would like is a jacket that I dont have to remove liners to adjust for fall riding. Something that I can maybe open and close some zippers or flaps etc.

I have been out of riding for over 10 years and the gear now is a lot different and there are a lot more choices so I am a little lost.

Thanks!

I have an older JR Reactor jacket and the liner doesn't zip in like the newer ones. But I just pull the liner on and then the outer jacket. Works fine, doesn't move around or bunch up and I never have the hassle of unzipping the liner out, I just don't put it on.

Have you investigated the JR Alter Ego. It may be what you're describing.

I am trying to get away from having two items, whether it zips in or I put on two layers doesnt really matter, I was hoping for just a single jacket that could be worn at 65* or 85* and be just as comfortable at both for a 30 - 40 mile commute when its in the upper 60s in the morning for the ride down to the office and mid to upper 80s for the evening ride home.

I was going to suggest that you invest in a lined golf wind shirt. I've got one and yeah, it might look funny, but it is warm. You could also just wear a long sleave T-shirt? Good luck.:rider:

It's hard to suit the weather around Texas 65 - 85 is a big difference. A leather jacket with zip vents would work if your not a cold natured type, because 65 is pushing it with just leather and no liner. Find a nice leather jacket and you should be ok as long as it has plenty of vents.

I wear a perforated leather jacket and then for winter I throw a wind proof zip up on top of it. But you said you prefer no layers.

Its not that I dont like layers. What I dont like is having to tote around another article of clothing since I have a "sport bike" and dont have bags, racks etc. The mesh jacket is good down to about 70 without the liner but yesterday on my ride in it was 71 per the bike and I was a bit chilly riding to downtown from Little Elm. On the way home it was almost 90 and the mesh was perfect.

I was just hoping for a good tweener jacket for this time of year that was a single article of clothing.

Aroun'd this time of year, I wear a leather jacket. I'm pretty comfortable in the morning when its about 60 or so and in the afternoon when it gets to around to the upper 80s. I have a liner for the leather but I hardly ever use it.

I carry a small tank bag to work every day. I stuff the liner in the bag on the way home. I keep my cell phone, wallet, pager, etc, in it. My employees call it my man-purse.:lol2:

Thought about that but I can carry everything I need in my jacket pockets and was trying to get away from having another item to tote around when I am not on the bike.

How about something like this?

Joe Rocket Comet
Leather/Textile Jacket
"Rock-Tex 600" Textile outer shell
Waterproof construction
Leather reinforced shoulders, elbows and forearms
Removable dual density armor in the shoulders, elbows and also a back pad
Removable and insulated full sleeve liner
Zippered vents in the biceps with two zippered exhaust vents in the rear
Reflective safety stripe across shoulders in back
Comfort padded collar
2 zippered outside pockets, 3 inside pockets (one looks like a cell phone pocket
Rear zipper for attachment to pants
Adjustable waist
Sleeve size adjusters

$79 on closeout from Newenough

http://www.newenough.com/joe_rocket_comet_jacket_page.htm

I ride the mornings (around 70) in a mesh and t shirt...
I ride the cooler mornings (<60) in a fieldsheer textile "paddock" it has a back zipper and 2 front chest zippers, perfect close in the mornings, and zipped open in the evening ride back home..

I bought mine for 55$ on ebay "offer a price" kind adeal (was selling for 85$ normally on sale elsewhere)

review of the jacket <http://www.motorcyclegearreview.com/reviews.php?prodID=964>

brockton cycle (I have bought from tehm before they are a great place) has them on sale for 44.95$
http://www.brocktoncycle.com/eshopprod_cat_755-3033-5873-3592_product_109520.Fieldsheer_Paddock_Textile_M.htm

You might also want to check out the Aerostich jackets. I have the one piece roadcrafter suit which is perfect for commuting as it's easy on/off, and is 4 season comfort for Houston. If it gets below 40 I put on a sweater, but that's only 2 or 3 times a year.

They make them in one piece if you aren't concerned about wet streets splashing up on your work pants. Or you could buy the pants later if you went two piece.

They come with decent armor, and will accept a spine protector. Venting for hot days, zip it for cold. Goretex lined for the rain. Top shelf quality. Made in USA. Check it out.
http://www.aerostich.com/home.php?cat=248

Dave.

I've had by bike since Feb '06 and I now have 4 jackets not counting
my non-armored leather jackets of days gone by.

The four "new" jackets include one Icon, two Fieldsheer, and a Joe Rocket...

All were new mesh jackets except the Joe Rocket (perforated leather w/ zip in liner pawn shop special).

I think after about four more I'll have all situations covered...

Until I can afford a R1200GSA...(like that will ever happen)...:mrgreen:

From what I've read this one should cover everthing from 35-85 degrees...

http://www.newenough.com/tour_master_transition_jacket_page.htm

Summertime in Texas is a whole 'nuther story

Good Luck...

Well I decided on this one at Cycle Gear today. Went out riding around all day even when the bike said it was 90* out it was still nice and cool when riding. Actually it was a bit more comfortable than my JR mesh. I will test it in cooler weather tomorrow morning on the ride to work, but I would imagine it will be perfect with the vents closed.

http://www.newenough.com/powertrip_tt_jacket_page.htm

Back