• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My wife and I test ride retirement

Reaction score
First Name
Dennie
Last Name
Spears
My wife and I went on a test ride of retirement. For the last 40 years we have gone on short vacations together or slightly longer vacations with other couples. We’ve also gone on vacations without the other going at all. We are contemplating retirement and subsequent travel. Would we continue to be compatible? Would we enjoy each other’s company for an extended period of time without the company of close friends as referees? We’ve been married for nearly 39 years, but we’ve never been alone together for more than a week at a time. Work has always separated us for at least 8 hours a day even when we weren’t on vacation. We also wanted time alone to discuss retirement and what it would mean to our relationship and to our lifestyle.

This post involves a van, a camper, a DRZ400 and the relationship between 2 people and may be in the wrong forum. If so, moderators feel free to switch without offending me.

The van: Tow vehicle for the camper. 13 years old and fairly high mileage. I wanted to buy a new vehicle, an F-150 ecoboost, but the LOML wanted to wait a little longer so we can pay cash without compromising our liquidity. An argument ensued and we haven’t even packed. Agreement: If ANYTHING happens to the van we will unload the bike and ride to the nearest dealership and buy a new vehicle on the spot. By anything, I’m thinking flat tire and she’s probably thinking rods and pistons strewn along the highway.

The Camper: We’ve always tent camped with the exception of a few vacations where we have stayed in motels. I like to hike. My wife likes to hike less than I do. My retirement plans include lots of hiking. She’s tired of staying in a tent waiting for me. A hard sided tent is in our future. We buy a used 16’ Casita from a co-worker as our first camper, with the intention of buying a new one if we (she) likes the experience.

The bike: 2005 DRZ400SM, bought 4 years ago with 12 miles on the odometer, now 15,000. My sometimes transportation to work. Our play bike. The one bike I would own if I could only have one. One of her favorite bikes ever since we got the $200 Seat Concepts seat. Chris, you owe me $200 for letting her know that there were options other than the stock seat.

The relationship: You only get the portion that I share in this post and past posts. I will share more than she would like.:trust:

Now the test ride begins. At day 2 of driving west. You know you’re close to the Navaho nation when you see signs for fry bread. As a nation, we confined the Navaho Indians to a small arid area with little game and gave them flour and lard. They invented fry bread and I’m glad they did. Also, our first indication that things are going to get interesting.
IMG_3911.jpg

The roads get long out west.
IMG_3914.jpg

Having a camper allows one to stop anywhere for a toilet break, even when traveling with a woman. This sure beats the view of an Exxon station.
IMG_3926.jpg

I believe it was Texas T that suggested we stop at the Navaho bridge and I suggest you do also if you’re ever in the area. I wonder what the penalty is for jumping and who pays the fine.
IMG_3933.jpg

The old, now pedestrian, bridge on the left and the new traffic bridge on the right.
IMG_3943.jpg

Floaters were slowly coming down the river.
IMG_3946.jpg

We made it to the north rim of the Grand Canyon before sundown on the 2nd day. This is about 100 feet from our campsite. Our original plan did not include the Grand Canyon but, the routes suggested by fellow TWTers took us within 45 miles and we couldn’t resist even though we had both been there before.
IMG_3951.jpg

My wife, standing between me and “the edge”. Witnesses are taking pictures.
IMG_3963.jpg

The next morning. Taken from near the visitor center at the north rim.
IMG_3970.jpg

IMG_3981.jpg

There are lots of jeep roads on the north rim and we explore a few.
IMG_4065.jpg

Taken from Sublime Point. There is nothing Sublime about it. Normally, I would rate the road to Sublime as a 4, similar to Engineer pass in Colorado, which we have ridden several times, except without the switchbacks. It’s steep and rocky. On this ride, I rate it a 5 because of the 6” of newly applied gravel on the first 2 miles. Also, the next 2 miles had been recently graded to fill in deep ruts. The sand filled the ruts, but also hid them from view. The wife walked about 100 yards on this ride, about the same amount that she walks on Engineer pass.
IMG_4097.jpg

She says, “I’ll stand out here, but I won’t look down.
IMG_4103.jpg

The steed close to the edge.
IMG_4114.jpg

We took a different route back to try to avoid the gravel and sand. It’s a little over twice as far but the second half is graded road like this. We stopped to add layers and admire the aspen.
IMG_4117.jpg

We put around 3500 miles on the van, 600 miles on the DRZ and 40 miles on our shoes. Gas ranged from 3.49 to 4.19 per gallon.

Zion, Bryce, Highway 12 and Natural bridges to come. Also, retirement decisions, christening the Casita and falling in the canyons.

Your test ride mentality for all of this seems very sensible.

I support letting the air out of the van tire in the middle of the night to expedite the eco boost transition. They're pretty freakin awesome (I don't own one but have driven one). The other argument for it would be "what is the mileage like on the van?"

Oh, and more pics!!

Your test ride mentality for all of this seems very sensible.

I support letting the air out of the van tire in the middle of the night to expedite the eco boost transition. They're pretty freakin awesome (I don't own one but have driven one). The other argument for it would be "what is the mileage like on the van?"
Oh, and more pics!!

Slightly over 10 miles per gallon on the van. Not good.

Zion is next. Not as big, but just as dramatic.
IMG_4301.jpg

Wow! Beautiful pictures!

Wife and I are darkening that same threshold - retirement. I'll be watching with great interest about this new truck shenanigans.

Nice pics. Keep the story coming.

As for the van situation - Consider a used Sprinter diesel. We are in the same situation minus retirement. We looked at Casitas but ended up with a 08 TADA. We pull it with the 06 sprinter and get about 18-19. MPG when not towing it is about 22-23 with the van partially loaded. Ramp and chock allows the scooter to ride in the van. Shelving on one side (thanks to Ed29's help) allows us plenty of storage to keep the small trailer relatively uncluttered.

Oh yeah, have fun.

great thread. Amazing pics. You're blessed to have a wife that will ride dirt with you.
You both look to be in remarkable shape for "retirement age" or did your ship come in early?

Thanks for making this thread. My wife and I are also beginning to think about retirement. She is in a management job and she's getting burned out. I got out of the management rat race and I'm back doing technical work, and I'm still having fun most days.

Our vision of retirement probably won't include lots of travel. Instead, it will be hobbies and volunteer work that keep us busy. But I'll be most interested to hear comments from you (and others, of course) about keeping your days full and being happy in retirement.

Thanks for making this thread. My wife and I are also beginning to think about retirement. She is in a management job and she's getting burned out. I got out of the management rat race and I'm back doing technical work, and I'm still having fun most days.
Our vision of retirement probably won't include lots of travel. Instead, it will be hobbies and volunteer work that keep us busy. But I'll be most interested to hear comments from you (and others, of course) about keeping your days full and being happy in retirement.

Describes us to a T except she's not getting burned out.

great thread. Amazing pics. You're blessed to have a wife that will ride dirt with you.
You both look to be in remarkable shape for "retirement age" or did your ship come in early?

We're both past the "retirement age". Old pictures.

Hopefully, not too much of a hijack, but a financial planner recently asked, "you have 7 days/week and basically morning, afternoon and evening. How do you think you want to fill those 21 timeslots with retirement?"

We spent 3 days at the Grand Canyon. 2 nights spent in the organized campsite and 1 night spent in the woods. Total cost $19 not counting the Polygamy Porter (Don’t have just one, take some home to the wives) beer, but it does include 2 pay to use showers.
More on beer and park costs at a later date.

On the way to Zion we saw a sign and decided to U-turn and investigate.
IMG_4119.jpg

The Mormons found a spring in the desert and since nobody had built a house over it, they decided to do so. The Paiute Indians were very peaceful and since wildlife couldn’t get water and the natural “crops” that the Paiute relied on didn’t get water, the Indians turned into peaceful beggars.
Sewing machine, ecologically powered.
IMG_4120.jpg

The Mormon settlers had enough cows to justify making cheese and taking it to California. At least that’s what the ranger said. Anyway, they had a cheese press.
IMG_4128.jpg

Ironing wasn’t quite as simple in those days. Why do it at all?
IMG_4133.jpg

Rope bed: Instead of wooden slats, some beds had ropes woven under the padding. If the ropes were tight, the people didn’t roll to the middle and get cozy. That’s supposedly where the term “sleep tight” came from and it seems reasonable.
IMG_4136.jpg

Our next camper.
IMG_4142.jpg

Typical Paiute dwelling back in the day.
IMG_4149.jpg

Onward to the main attraction, Zion and here is our 4th campsite, and what a beautiful setting. The Virgin river runs right through the park. That’s our little Casita looking out of place just over the bed of the 4X4 pickup.
IMG_4162.jpg

The first day we decided to hike up to Angels Landing. Supposedly, when angels visit the earth, they land here first. Sounds reasonable to me.

Very early in the hike up. That’s the Virgin flowing down below. She’s responsible for all this beauty.
IMG_4172.jpg

A little higher up and looking the other direction
IMG_4176.jpg

A view of the path leading up. Yes, its paved but steep. The paved part changes, the steep part does not.
IMG_4177.jpg

The road and the river far below. I think you can see why falling is the most likely cause of death in The Grand Canyon, Zion, and Bryce. As a matter of fact, a hiker fell in the Subway the day we arrived. We met the 2 guy that found him hanging. Hiking the Subway was crossed off our list. Another time, at least for me.
IMG_4197.jpg

Looking the other way
IMG_4199.jpg

Nearing the top. It gets a little scarier here.
IMG_4200.jpg

The trail up, assisted by chains. Children and adults with minimal upper body strength are discouraged.
IMG_4205.jpg

Looking back across the ridge we just walked across.
IMG_4210.jpg

The valley below as seen by angels
IMG_4213.jpg

This lady carried a chair up to this point and opted out of going to the top. For some reason she didn’t approve of me taking her picture.
IMG_4217.jpg

Looking down stream from the top of Angels Landing. Those rangers pictured and several others behind me are there to remove graffiti scratched into the sandstone over the years. At least, judging by the quantity, I hope it was over many years.
IMG_4218.jpg

Last look over the edge
IMG_4219.jpg

This 10” diameter tree has been living in this rock for so many years that the rock has eroded away from the roots. I could stick my hand between the roots and the rock in some places.
IMG_4222.jpg

This hill is along the main highway that runs through the park. I believe it is called Checkerboard Hill. If not, it should be.
IMG_4235.jpg

My 2 honeys.
IMG_4236.jpg

More Zion to come. We hiked up the river for 4 miles to the Narrows. Also,did a ride around the park, about 250 miles, ½ dirt and ½ highway.

The next day we decided to hike up the Virgin past the Temple of Sinawava to the Narrows. For some reason, that sentence seems obscene. Anyway, the only way to get into Zion canyon is by trolley, tour bus or, if you are staying at the lodge, by car. We rode the trolley to the end of the road which is the Temple of Sinawava.
IMG_4239.jpg

The first section is a paved path for about a ½ mile, maybe a little more. Here I am either demonstrating my strength, showing you how light sandstone is, or being a jerk.
IMG_4244.jpg

As this fat fellow can vouch, the pinon trees are loaded this year.
IMG_4245.jpg

The end of the sidewalk and the start of the river walk, not the same as the river walk in San Antonio. The water temperature is around 55 degrees F. It never gets much over knee deep, at least not for us. We saw several hikers that fell and were totally wet.
IMG_4250.jpg

You have to walk through this ugly part to get to the good stuff.;-) The park guide says 90% river and 10% sand bar. I think it was closer to 70/30. We exchanged taking pictures of each other for the entire 4 miles of river walking.
IMG_4253.jpg

IMG_4256.jpg

A welcome sand bar. Every long sand bar seemed to have people on it, as though they were waiting for the river to recede before going further.
IMG_4257.jpg

It gets skinny before you get to the narrows
IMG_4290.jpg

IMG_4297.jpg

I’m definitely having fun
IMG_4301.jpg

Close to the end of the narrows. Notice the decreased water flow. The canyon splits about ½ mile behind me and this is the smaller of the 2 rivers. From this point on, I didn’t take any pictures. Just around the corner there is a chock stone that must be scrambled over if one wishes to continue. My wife chose to fall and hurt her hip while climbing over it. Tomorrow she will rest while I utilize my dual sport motorcycle in the manner in which it was intended to be used.
IMG_4312.jpg

In the TWT tradition, I had pie with dinner. Wifey had a bite.
IMG_4323.jpg

Like I said earlier, I went on a ride without Linda. I forgot the card for my camera and had to drive into Hurricane to buy a new one. I needed a higher quality one anyway. Back on the road I view a glimpse of things to come.
IMG_4325.jpg

I follow Mesa road from highway 9 west of Zion until it intersects Kolob terrace road.
The start. It gets better.
IMG_4326.jpg

I told you it gets better.
IMG_4328.jpg

IMG_4330.jpg

The dirt starts out smooth and progressively gets nicer. I rate this road as a 2. I wouldn’t want to drive a Toyota Corolla on it but I think I could make it.
IMG_4331.jpg

IMG_4333.jpg

I believe this is the only 5 MPH curve I have ever seen on a paved road. Going the opposite direction it isn’t marked.
IMG_4344.jpg

This is along Kolob reservoir road, after the lake.
IMG_4349.jpg

A grove of aspen.
IMG_4351.jpg

As I get close to Hwy 14, I see lots of these trees turning colors. They look like small oak trees and may be.
IMG_4356.jpg

Going south on North Road, I saw this sign.
IMG_4363.jpg

The arrow points to this camper.
IMG_4364.jpg

Everything will be green and suddenly around a corner you see this.
IMG_4366.jpg

I rode about 250 miles, about 1/2 dirt and 1/2 pavement, and rode right past Cedar Breaks. I will go back. When I got back to camp, my supposedly invalid wife had gone back into Zion canyon and hiked to the emerald lakes.

We go to Red Canyon and Bryce Canyon next.

Bringing back good memories, that is almost the exact route that I ran last year only in reverse. Love that area and you are getting me thinking about retirement.

Quote myself: "We spent 3 days at the Grand Canyon. 2 nights spent in the organized campsite and 1 night spent in the woods. Total cost $19 not counting the Polygamy Porter (Don’t have just one, take some home to the wives) beer, but it does include 2 pay to use showers.
More on beer and park costs at a later date."

Beer cost less than sodas at the north rim campground store. I bought a six pack of beer call Polygamy Porter (Why have just one? Take some home to the wives). It's brewed by the Washach Brew Pub. http://www.wasatchbeers.com/beers.html Anyway, I liked it so I went back and bought a six pack of First Amendment Lager (Give me liberty and give me a cold one), and a six pack of Evolution Amber Ale (no moto!! :giveup:) with the intentions of saving 1 of each for my three buddies I meet for beer on the first monday of every month. I drank all of the First Amendment and 3 each of the others. My buddies got to sample the 2 lesser beers. All were good beer, especiallly the First Amendment.

Quote myself: "We spent 3 days at the Grand Canyon. 2 nights spent in the organized campsite and 1 night spent in the woods. Total cost $19 not counting the Polygamy Porter (Don’t have just one, take some home to the wives) beer, but it does include 2 pay to use showers.
More on beer and park costs at a later date."

And now a rant.
As I said earlier, entrance fees into the Grand Canyon, 2 days camping and 2 showers cost $19. Why so cheap you might wonder. The campground just outside the park charges $49 and it was nearly full. Every national park that we tried to get reservations for was full. We were able to stay in the parks because of cancellations. Well, it seems that a person over the age of 62 can buy a lifetime pass that allows them to get into any federal fee area for free. Key word=lifetime. Camping is 1/2 price. Anyone in the car with them also gets in free. I bought one of the passes several years ago because the park ranger suggested it. The cost for a LIFETIME free pass, $10. WHAT!!! $10. That ridiculous.

Now, our parks are hurting. Money is short. Services are being cut. Areas are being closed because there isn't enough money to hire personnel to repair damage cause by visitors. My contention is, if someone can afford a camper and gas money to get to the park, they can afford $25 for entrance fees. Also, if the private sector can get $49 per night why can't the park system/government see that people are willing to pay more. There were diesel pushers that cost over $200,000 getting in free. We paid two times just because I thought we should. The problem is, me paying will not put a dent in the need. If everyone paid, the problem would be solved.

Rant over. Bryce coming up

Back