• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Riding with no pants [emoji6]

ntklr650

Matt6:34
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Last Name
M
It is going to be a hot one this week. Who's riding?

I rode today and I am planning to ride every day to work but I think I will be leaving my riding pants at home. I don't have mesh pants and the one I have sure are hot. I know it's not the wisest thing to do but I'll be careful. We are running out of here to northern New Mexico the end of the week. That will be on 4 wheels unfortunately as the wife and kids want to go as well.
Best of luck to anyone riding in the heat.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Not sure if you're talking jeans or shorts. If jeans, I tend to agree, if shorts, for a short ride, riding is shorts is cooler. (sorry for the short series of puns :) )

For a longer ride, it's not. Your legs get wind dried and sunburned and they'll be much hotter. You may not "feel" hotter, but you'll feel it when you stop.

Yeah...you'll sweat and be uncomfortable in your riding pants, but you'll actually keep your body cooler and of course you'll be much safer.

I might wear shorts to head to the corner store and back, but any ride over 10 minutes and I'm wearing something to keep the sun off my legs, jeans at a minimum. (although I went down once in jeans at less than 5 miles per hour and they shredded so they really don't offer much protection at all...I can't imagine going down at speed in them)

If your not going to wear your gear, you might as well not wear pants. Results of going down will probably be about the same. Bad.

My ride is about 5 miles to work and I am wearing long pants with my mesh jacket and helmet. It's not bad and I need to stop being a wimp and wear riding pants as well.

Get a pair of the riding jeans at Cycle gear they are not too expensive. They have inserts and reinforcements where needed. I rode around 200 miles this weekend. Really hot Saturday after work but Sunday was cloudy half the way back to the house after the meet and greet.

What part of New Mexico are you going to?

Get a pair of the riding jeans at Cycle gear they are not too expensive. They have inserts and reinforcements where needed. I rode around 200 miles this weekend. Really hot Saturday after work but Sunday was cloudy half the way back to the house after the meet and greet.

What part of New Mexico are you going to?
We are going to Farmington to see the old people. We will have some day trips up to Durango and Silverton as well as going to Animas Forks ghost town. Wish I could take the bike along....... Maybe next year.

We are going to Farmington to see the old people. We will have some day trips up to Durango and Silverton as well as going to Animas Forks ghost town. Wish I could take the bike along....... Maybe next year.

I agree the bike would be much more fun.:rider: Have you been to any of the towns above before?

In Durango try the Q at Serious Texas bbq.:bbq: In Silverton there is a artist shop in town that makes some killer metal sculptures that is worth a look even if you do not buy. Man if you got time and have not done it before the train ride out of Chama,NM is something I bet they would enjoy.:deal:

You driving straight there or doing the scenic thing?

Last edited:
I would like to say that I atgatt, but sometimes I ride my bike to work wearing slacks and motorcycle jacket. I live outside of town and only have to go through two stoplights to get to work.

Yea I kinda grew up in Farmington so that's all my old stomping grounds. Did lots of camping in Scout's as a kid. Excited to show the wife and kids some areas they have never seen.
As for the way there, it's Amarillo Friday after work and then on to Albuquerque for lunch. Probably El Pinto, and then up 550 to Farmington.
We are also going to go to the Bar D Wranglers outside of Durango. It is a must if anyone is in that area. Great food and music.
I agree the bike would be much more fun.:rider: Have you been to any of the towns above before?

In Durango try the Q at Serious Texas bbq.:bbq: In Silverton there is a artist shop in town that makes some killer metal sculptures that is worth a look even if you do not buy. Man if you got time and have not done it before the train ride out of Chama,NM is something I bet they would enjoy.:deal:

You driving straight there or doing the scenic thing?

Yea I kinda grew up in Farmington so that's all my old stomping grounds. Did lots of camping in Scout's as a kid. Excited to show the wife and kids some areas they have never seen.
As for the way there, it's Amarillo Friday after work and then on to Albuquerque for lunch. Probably El Pinto, and then up 550 to Farmington.
We are also going to go to the Bar D Wranglers outside of Durango. It is a must if anyone is in that area. Great food and music.

Cool. If you are stopping in Albuquerque try The Owl Cafe on the north end of town. Have you ever rode the Cumbres @ Toltec train ride? It is amazing.

You are chumming the water for the ATGATT sharks! :-P

I don't wear my riding jeans this time of year. Too **** hot. I have wrecked at 80mph in normal jeans and it was not pleasant, but I still risk it on these awful hot days.

When riding the CT110 to the mailbox, I prefer shorts, t-shirt, crocs, and no helmet. The epitome of cool. :sun:

If your not going to wear your gear, you might as well not wear pants. Results of going down will probably be about the same. Bad.
Yea, but not wearing pants at work is kind of frowned upon. :rofl:

Sometimes your actions have the reverse effect. On my FZ1 I always rode with jeans under my mesh pants. Had the bright idea one day to wear shorts under the mesh pants. I ended up with burns on my legs from the heat off the engine area. Jeans were definitely cooler than shorts.

I rode today. Took the camelbak to work again. Definitely makes surviving the hour long ride home much better and the recovery time at home shorter. I'll work from home a few days this week but will likely ride in at least one more day.

You are chumming the water for the ATGATT sharks!
And here I am!

When riding the CT110 to the mailbox, I prefer shorts, t-shirt, crocs, and no helmet. The epitome of cool. :sun:
No wonder that Schuberth is in such good condition!

I'm not perfect myself, but I do ride ATGATT about 99% of the time. Going across the street for gas... about 50 yards... no gear. Going to the store or to pick up Chineese take-out... about 100 yards... no gear. Most everywhere else... full gear. I don't have mesh riding pants, they are full textile, but I wear LD Comfort tights under them.

You can always wear full gear and if your dress pants don't fit under your riding pants just change into them at work.

I could not handle Bohn under armor. Felt like i was wrapped in Saran wrap. Miserable.

I repurposed the Bohn hip pads to a pair of riding pants that did not have hip pads.

If anyone wants the Bohn top I’ll PIF it to you.

My Diamond Gusset Defender jeans are OK in the summer. But on long rides, I still prefer feeling safer in my AD1 pants and drinking lots of water.

Rode all across Texas in summer heat. Stop for gas, hose yourself down, wind chill feels great! And the effects wear off slowly enough that you don't immediately feel the heat return.

Back