• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

xr650r

HOLY MOTHER OF PEARL:eek2: Just got through going through the carb. The muffler is bent bad enough to restrict exhaust flow and it was not running great. WOW !!! All I can say is WOW :mrgreen: I never got out of first gear ! I was not expecting that much power !

JMZ once you get a BRP you'll lose the pound's.there better than a work out machine.. so go get a BIG-RED PIG.!!

I take it that this xr is " uncorked " already . I can`t wait to get it running right . It pulled compareble to an 87 CR500 I had at one time :rider:

The main "cork" is between the carb and head. If the I.D of that rubber piece is a restrictive oval shape, it should be replaced with a full round I.D.

BTW, what is up with that rear fender? It looked odd on Craigslist and looks odd in the back of your truck too. Is that a weird aftermarket part?

BTW2, good score if it runs OK! Congrats.

Steve

The muffler is bent up and melted the fender. Must have been flipped . I ordered a new air filter and soaked the carb last night. I have ridden it but it only seemed to run in the mid range and it was hard to start.

It has the round rubber intake , the exhaust has been drilled and the jets are 68 and 175. That seems large on the main jet just from reasearching.

Took half a day off work yesteday to work on it . I probably took the carb off 5 times ,put a new plug in it , check coil ground. I would get it back together and it would not want to run. It would try to start but thats it. :doh:

I had kept seeing something in the pilot jet. I would blow through it and it would be clean :shrug:. I think it was oil. The oil level is way to high and is puking back into the airbox :puke:. So I need to buy a seal for where the kickstarter goes and put the right amount of oil in it and I think she will be just fine. I figure I have about a half mile of pavement and then I will be on gravel forever .

I feel a big relief with the bike running now :rider:

UPDATE . The bike was not running anywhere near right. After about 20 hours working on it and reading about it on the net I have come to the conclusion that ............................ THERE IS NO NEEDLE JET IN THE CARB :doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh: . One of the PO`s must have left it out. :scratch::tears::miffed::argh:

The BRP will rip once you get it all sorted out. The stock suspension might not be best for you depending on your riding style(s).

Once you get the engine sorted out, I would take a look at all the suspension bearings and esp. the swingarm bearings. I have my own personal horror story about letting them go too long without PM. :pound:

Change the fork oil while you're at it, too.

I can't think of a better bike for me than the XR650R. :zen:

And yes, lots of aftermarket parts out there for the BRP!

stats_file_for-_XR2.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

road_north_1.jpg

Set float to highest setting I can get away with and raise needle to at least the middle and I think i will be good to go. I want to build a work stand for it out of alminum and then start working on bearings. I want to get it street legal also. :rider:

It is running PERFECT :rider::rider::rider: I used a needle jet out of a 450 Honda Fourman . I measured my needle with dial calipers and drilled out a hair bigger. It starts on the first good kick when warm and does not take much when cold.

It is running PERFECT :rider::rider::rider: I used a needle jet out of a 450 Honda Fourman . I measured my needle with dial calipers and drilled out a hair bigger. It starts on the first good kick when warm and does not take much when cold.
Great!!! Glad everything is working out!!

Oh yeah, it's called Cycle Ranch! This is the place we were talking about on the phone. I knew it was "Ranch...something" but I couldn't remember:pound: the name. Never been there but it's said to be quite the track!! :trust: Right down the road from Gonzales in Floresville.

http://www.cycleranchmx.com/

Thanks Rmann. I dont think that kinda of track would be for me :eek2: I am more of a gravel road guy ( too heavy ):eat::lol2:. My BnLaw has a few acres that I can ride on just on the edge of town for my off-road urge :clap:

Thanks Rmann. I dont think that kinda of track would be for me :eek2: I am more of a gravel road guy
Yeah, so am I these days:giveup::lol2:! But seriously take your XR over there on a weekday when no one's there, take it slow at 1st, don't be intimidated, take your time. Trust me, it'll sharpen your reflexes and you'll leave a better rider!;-)

My plated KDX220 at Cross Creek.......:mrgreen:

CIMG50762-1.jpg

As far as I'm concerned everybody and anybody who rides on 2 wheels should spend a day in the dirt!! Your mind will begin to negotiate obstacles far ahead while your body automatically deals with whatever obstacle is under your wheels.
You'll master the proverbial "Split Second Decision"!!:eek2: :lol2: :flip:

Hey JMZ,
How much longer until you get it plated? I'm doing a dirt road survey of Gonzales and Lavaca counties and would like to ride with you. Maybe we can talk Rman and a nother buddy of mine into riding south as well. Expect a PM.

Hey JMZ,
How much longer until you get it plated? I'm doing a dirt road survey of Gonzales and Lavaca counties and would like to ride with you. Maybe we can talk Rman and a nother buddy of mine into riding south as well. Expect a PM.

If you ever plan on heading down around Stockdale area, shoot me a PM. I have always wanted somebody to hit the dirt roads with.:rider:

Back