• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Flat trackin the DTR1 Yamaha!

Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Jeter
Flat track racing is the home of Harley Davidson XR750s, they're born and bred for it, so what's this Yamaha R1 doing winning the race? Wade Boyd did just that this past weekend at the Sacramento Mile in one of the heats, and the video below shows some great racing where the R1 just reels in the Harleys on the straights only to be overtaken in the turns until the next straight until finally, well ..., just watch the video.

So was the lack of speed in the corners due to rider skill, bike handling or a bit of both? I know nothing about flat tracking, but the rate that he caught people up on the straights and passed them was very impressive!!

Gary

Maybe both but probably more to bike geometry and handling. Notice his front tire going through the turns. Shows that the bike is not even getting sideways, which gives you better control on dirt and allows you to carry more speed.

_

So was the lack of speed in the corners due to rider skill, bike handling or a bit of both? I know nothing about flat tracking, but the rate that he caught people up on the straights and passed them was very impressive!!

Gary

Not sure about Wade's cornering abilities but he sure puts the hammer down on the straights! What I would like to see is different camera angle of the race.

And on a side note.....my 1,000th post and never once have I argued on here about politics,religion,the constitution,or which oil is the best beacuse :scott:.

Gary

it could be a little of both. I do know from riding my FZ1 [same motor], you'd have to be VERY careful with throttle in the turns on dirt.

man it did not take him long at all to catch up once things got straight :lol2:

Harley XR750's have dominated because that is all the AMA would allow to run for years. If any of the other manufacture ran something that had an obvious advantage, they would outlaw it. It has only been the past couple years that other bikes have been allowed to run again. I bet they don't allow that bike in the class much longer.

it could be a little of both. I do know from riding my FZ1 [same motor], you'd have to be VERY careful with throttle in the turns on dirt.

man it did not take him long at all to catch up once things got straight :lol2:

I loved the kick of my R1!! Shame I had to sell it to buy a wing to appease the kids!! ;-) Still I love my wing, its very different and great fun to ride (even on one wheel!) ;)..

Gary

Back