• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Solo trail gear, tools

Reaction score
If you are going into technical forest trails like SHNF solo for a 3-hour ride, what would you take with you? Food, tools, etc. And how would you carry these items?

for 3 hours?

spare tubes, tire irons.
tools to remove wheels.
tell someone where you are.
camelbak.
cell phone.

carried in my giant loop mojave.

A rider told me his bike broke down on the trail, he left the bike and hiked out of there and it became a 5-hour hike. My guess is the most important thing is bring enough water. A person can survive 2 weeks with water, less than 2 days without.

I don't know how to carry a tire iron; it's pretty long.

for 3 hours?

spare tubes, tire irons.
tools to remove wheels.
tell someone where you are.
camelbak.
cell phone.

carried in my giant loop mojave.

A way to inflate the tire.
Make a toolkit. Small you shouldn't need much.
And a friend to carry what you don't have. And to pick you back up after a tree jumps out at you. :giveup:

Carrying small tire irons, tubes, and a source of air or CO2 for inflation is a good practice for dual sport riders... provided the rider has used those very tools in practice changing tires on that bike. In trail riding off road bikes carrying that stuff is kind of redundant as your truck or trailer is pretty close all of the time. Limping back on a flat front tire is pretty easy, a flat back tire is a bit more work but can be done.

On a solo ride bring water and snack food in a hydration backpack. Tell someone where you will be and when to expect to see/hear from you after the ride. Then go have fun!

Here's what's in my enduro bag. It's what I carry when I race, so light weight and compact is important.

Small roll of duct tape wrapped around plastic bottle, bottle has tie wraps and
Stainless safety wire in it
Leatherman multi tool
KTM tool kit (came with bike) has most all the sizes to do minor service
2 Motion pro tire tools, with box end wrenches on the opposite end from the spoon. Made of aluminum, light, about 10 inches long
Master links, I usually carry 2
Spare spark plug (2)
First Aid: band aids, alcohol swabs, wrap tape
Tire Patches, 4 CO2 containers

I carry alot more when I dual sport, but I have bags on that bike to carry stuff.
I carry tubes when I D/S, but I carry patches when I race. Of course, if I get a flat when racing, it's pretty much over. The patch is just to get me back to camp.
Hope this helps.
If riding by yourself, carry a GPS along with those items noted in previous posts.

Carrying small tire irons, tubes, and a source of air or CO2 for inflation is a good practice for dual sport riders... provided the rider has used those very tools in practice changing tires on that bike. In trail riding off road bikes carrying that stuff is kind of redundant as your truck or trailer is pretty close all of the time. Limping back on a flat front tire is pretty easy, a flat back tire is a bit more work but can be done.

On a solo ride bring water and snack food in a hydration backpack. Tell someone where you will be and when to expect to see/hear from you after the ride. Then go have fun!

Trail riding in SHNF is a bit different - the loops are up to 20 miles long, it's very common not to see anybody else out there, and it's really easy to get turned around, as you often have to cross several roads, some of which are marked and some are not. I could easily see it taking 4 or 5 hours to find the truck on foot, especially if you don't just backtrack - but if you just backtrack, then you'll be pushing the bike (with a flat), so I could see several hours that way too.

The number one thing I take when riding SHNF solo is another rider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A rider told me his bike broke down on the trail, he left the bike and hiked out of there and it became a 5-hour hike.

Yep been there done that.
Lesson learned :--- BRING THE MAP :rofl:
Would have saved 2 hours walking.

And the bring along another rider was another lesson learned on that trip.

I will add to the list
A tow rope

If any one needs/wants another rider hit me up.

The number one thing I take when riding SHNF solo is another rider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never ridden the SHNF, but I always try my best to follow that advice pretty much anywhere I ride short of an MX track. Even at places as small and crowded as Trophy Club it could still be 30 minutes or longer before someone comes around. That's a long time if you happen to have a broken leg or something worse. And as I've found out before, anything can happen no matter how tame the terrain.

Back