• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Harley-Davidson Announces Lay-Offs

I think they are pretty quiet for a generator.

Speaking of generators,
I've been working on one for going camping myself. [emoji15]

a98202f51c64b2483fccffc338d1470d.jpg

Signatures? We don't need no stinking signatures!

I think they are pretty quiet for a generator.

Speaking of generators,
I've been working on one for going camping myself. [emoji15]

a98202f51c64b2483fccffc338d1470d.jpg

How many Kw? Kubota?
Nice looking and compact.

8kw. Yes Kubota. I built a fuel tank to mount on top. Just have to get around to mounting it . I'm also going to add some side covers .

Last edited:
Are those Honda generators really that loud??

Honda generators are pretty quiet. But even "quiet" is still annoying in a campground where all you want to hear is the wind in the pines and an occasional noisy Stellar's jay. The real noisy ones were Onan generators. I don't think they're around anymore. They sounded like lawn mowers. Incredibly annoying when somebody in a motorhome would run one all day long to power their a/c while sitting in a Colorado campground.

Onan is still around, it's built by Cummins now though. The Honda and other brand of inverter type generators can be very quiet. They are usually low capacity generators and they are pretty expensive. For the more traditional designs quiet is relative. My Honda 8K is quieter than some of the others, but I wouldn't call it quiet. It is better than the old Onan's, but then so are the new Onan's.

Quiet, of course, is in the ear of the beholder. If you're inside your $225,000 motor home and you can't hear your generator, it's quiet. If you're in the tent in the next site, not so much. A Honda generator is whisper quiet - you can easily talk over it. However, if you're in a campground in the Rocky Mountains trying to get away from it all, one man's whisper is another man's scream.

In campgrounds, there's an unspoken etiquette about sound. If it can be heard in the next campsite, it's too loud. That goes for talking, playing your radio, and certainly your generator. Most campgrounds have quiet hours from about 10pm to 8am. Unfortunately, too many weekenders ignore the rule and just do what they like.

We're getting pretty far off on this tangent; maybe someone should start a "Camping Etiquette" thread. So, now back to our scheduled Harley bashing. :rider:

If it's too loud your too old ???? (jk)

If it's too loud your too old ???? (jk)

:lol2: I remember some years ago when my wife & I went to see Stephen Curtis Chapman. The opening acts were the Newsboys and Audio Adrenaline. At the end of their segments, my wife said, "Okay, I concede - we're too old." :giveup:

But even "quiet" is still annoying in a campground where all you want to hear is the wind in the pines and an occasional noisy Stellar's jay.

Haven't seen a Stellars in months. Great bird. Thanks again for the books.

Gotta agree that I don't like noisy. In town it is a part and parcel of life, but in the wilderness, it's a distraction, and rude when somebody is doing it just to do it. It is why I stay away from party parks like Garner. From a motorcycle point of view, having to put a Leo Vince on the X in order to meet the NFS spark arrester requirements seemed counter productive.

After Ike a bunch of us in the neighborhood were running Honda or Yamaha RV generators during the day and living off of a couple of group 27s and inverters at night. One lady down the street set up a contractor's generator in her driveway so she could have AC. That lasted one night before the neighbors asked her to have a heart for the rest of us and turn it off.

I guess momma couldn't raise everyone.

Back